Thread: mini table saw

mini table saw

I'm thinking of downsizing my job site dewalt table saw to a mini saw.I have a bandsaw and a radial arm saw that will handle bigger cuts and I could use the extra room. I'd be interested to hear your take on these saws,specifically the Proxxon Fet and the Micromark Microlux.Any experience with one of these?
    Thanks
    Bill

Hi Bill,
    Although I have no personal experience with either of these small saws, I do own a Micro Mark mini metal shear/brake. I am very impressed with the quality, fit and finish of this tool. It comes in very handy for some smaller sheet metal parts. From the looks of the Micro Mark mini table saw, I would say that it is definitely for smaller and thinner wood parts. I would expect this particular table saw to be popular with hobbyists building small model cars, airplanes, and other smaller wooden items. I would guess that it probably weighs no more than 10 to 15 lbs, and definitely can't do the same kind of work as your job site saw as far as the size of material and speed of cut. So I think it comes down to what type and size of work you intend to do with it.
    David

https://www.micromark.com/Multi-Saw-...yABEgLztfD_BwE

Micro Mark table saw.jpg Micro Mark Mini Metal Shear - Brake.jpg

Only you can decide whether the limitations of this tool are outweighed by its convenient size. I would find such a tool mostly useless but that is because of the kind of work I do.

its not in the same class or quality, but Harbor Freight has a tiny table saw with I think a 4" blade. They're around $60 with coupons. I got one at an estate sale for a few bucks and use it for mitering picture frames. Works fine for that, but as said, it would all depend on what you were going to make.

My sister-in-law (who lives in Spain) uses a number of the mini-tools (Proxxon I think) for making reproduction toy "Barbie" furniture. (in addition to her world-class reproduction sewing of classic Barbie outfits) She seems pleased with them. Do keep in mind that many of the mini/micro tools are designed specifically for very small work so will be most useful if your projects are also small-ish things...like boxes, etc.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Check out the Byrnes 4" table saw. Cool little machine with lots of high quality accessories available: http://byrnesmodelmachines.com/tablesaw5.html

My brother bought one for model ship building, loves it.