Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Your knowledge, please

Just a note: When using Fusion 360 - Design and Toolpaths are also done in the same software. Fusion 360 does the design, the CAM (toolpaths/simulation), and the post processing - creating gcode ready to run with Mach3/4, Centroid cnc12, etc.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David Buchhauser View Post
    Just a note: When using Fusion 360 - Design and Toolpaths are also done in the same software. Fusion 360 does the design, the CAM (toolpaths/simulation), and the post processing - creating gcode ready to run with Mach3/4, Centroid cnc12, etc.
    David
    It depends up on the target machine, not just the controller software, but in general, there is post processing available with Fusion360 for many machines. I think in a recent interaction here, there was a challenge getting a current post for Axiom or PowerMatic (same machine essentially) for Fusion360 if I'm not mistaken.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

AutoDesk does have a RichAuto post processor available for Fusion 360 which has apparently been tested by some of the Axiom owners who have reported back that it does work fine. This is the RS274 Post in Fusion.
    David

Hopefully, that information found itself into the other thread. Good to hear!
    --

Not trying to hijack this but I had a question in reference to something Ted said. He said he uses Rhino software for the 3D and then Vectric Vcarve I think. How does that work? How do you import and make tool paths etc?

Hi Ronald,
    I would assume that he is doing his CAD work (2D or 3D) in Rhino, then exporting in one of the import file formats compatible with VCarve Pro to do his CAM work (create tool paths, etc.). Here is a list of the file format compatability for VCarve Pro (2D and 3D) and Rhino. I would imagine that he importing 2D drawings as dxf, and 3D as stl.
    David

VCarve Pro: 2D - Import > Import Vectors OR the Import Vectors from a file icon.
    Note: .SKP files can only be imported to Aspire, VCarve and Cut2D v8.0 (Pro and Desktop) and higher.

VCarve Pro: 3D Models

File Suffix Format summary
    STL CAD orientated 3D design packages and scanning systems
    DXF Many CAD systems – data must consist of meshes or triangles
    3DS 3D Studio and many other animation orientated packages
    OBJ Wavefront
    SKP SketchUp software files
    V3M VectorArt 3D or Design & Make clipart models
    LWO Lightwave 3D Object model
    3DM Rhino 3D Model
    WRL Netscape 3D Live Picture

Compatibility

Rhinoceros offers compatibility with other software as it supports over 30 CAD file formats for importing and exporting.[4]
    The following CAD and image file formats are natively supported (without use of external plugins):

David is spot-on with his description. Some folks use software like Rhino to do complex 3D elements (and sometimes 2D/2.5D vectors) because sometimes capabilities that are beyond Aspire are needed for the job, but then move the resulting 3D model into the Vectric software to do handle creating of the cutting files.

I've personally taken DXF files from a client and imported them into my Vectric software for toolpath creation, generally for templates they wanted me to cut. When done correctly, the dimensions are spot-on and they client isn't paying me for creating simple drawings.
    --

You are almost correct Mr Becker. I export line type work as DXF. Rhino models for 3d carving are not "exported" at all. Aspire can read V4 And V5 of Rhino .3dm files. It is MUCH better than stl files. Cleaner and way faster loading.

I am not sure if there is an easy way to share files between Rhino and Fusion 360. The last I worked with F360 the stl method was clunky at best. I may investigate because F360 has some really good machining abilities that are not available in Aspire. Adaptive clearing is a good example of that. Faster, less wear on the tool, etc.

My issue is that I do a lot more organic 3D work than I do mechanical. F360 was not working out well for me on organic things. I also feel that F360 is more suitable to someone engineering a product. When it comes to CAD software it is very much dependent on the intended use.

Knowing what I know now if I were starting from square one I would use Rhino3D and RhinoCam, the cost is very comparable to Aspire. Things change.

Just a quick aside, please.

What is meant by "organic work?"

Hi Tony,
    My take on it is that "organic 3D work" might be something like this.

organic cnc routing.jpg

Where as "mechanical work" might look more like this.

Mechanical Work.jpg

So a 3D sculpture vs. a flat mechanical bracket.
    David

Ted, I agree with you on that adaptive clearing and wish that feature was part of the Vectric software having seen it work so well with Winston Moy's work.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Ted, I agree with you on that adaptive clearing and wish that feature was part of the Vectric software having seen it work so well with Winston Moy's work.
    For those not familiar with adaptive clearing:

"Adaptive Clearing is a roughing strategy available for clearing large quantities of material effectively. It is unique in that it guarantees a maximum tool load at all stages of the machining cycle, and makes it possible to cut deep and with the flank of the tool without risk of breakage."

David

I suppose one could say that "organic" is anything that is not mechanical. Flowers, plants, animals, etc.

About adaptive clearing. I was VERY impressed with it in F360. It is huge on my wish list. Seems a while back someone said that the folks at Vectric did not think it was that important for woodworking. I find it hard to believe the poo bah's at Vectric would say that. Watching a .25 end mill spiral down to a depth of 1 inch and then remove the material in a pocket faster than the old way is amazing to watch.

So rumors say Fusion 360 is switching over to pay per view, some features will be un- available unless you subscribe, Even for the hobby user?
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

I haven't heard that previously but I don't use the Fusion260 application...I only played with it briefly a year ago. It wouldn't surprise me, however. That's the same thing that the various entities that have owned SketchUP have done over time and you know Autodesk is certainly going to leverage an asset for profit where they can.
    --