Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: recommendation for band saw purchase

My recommendations:

1) Go as large as you can accommodate and find for your budget. Larger wheels and height can be an advantage. You can cut small things on a big saw, but can't cut big things on a small saw
    2) If you can be patient, try to acquire a "big" machine used
    3) If you can't find a "big" machine used, there are great options from Grizzly, and others that will fit the bill nicely
    4) Keep in mind that most larger saws do require 240v for operation. If that's a limitation for you, find the stoutest 14" saw you can afford that still runs on 120v power
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    You didn't post your age,
    Iím 46 years old!

Matt, there's a lot of good advice in this thread. I agree - if you can afford a big saw without hardship, by all means get one. It's like having extra horsepower in your car - you'll seldom regret it. But don't think for a minute that you HAVE TO spend all that money to have a useful bandsaw. There are a lot of (hobbyist) guys here who do just fine with smaller, less capable machines. For what I build, my Rikon 10-325 works just fine. I don't ever anticipate needing to resaw 11" thick Osage Orange.

Hope you enjoy whatever you buy!
    Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; Yesterday at 6:00 PM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
    - Sir Edmund Burke

This summer I went through the same process as you are going through. I ended up with a Grizzly G0514X2 for about $1800 with shipping and tax (with a 10% off coupon). In the end it came down to the Laguna BX18 and the Grizzly. Each saw had some points that stood out. The Laguna had an extra 4" of resaw height and a disc brake set up. The Grizzly has a stronger set up for the table. Both are about the same price. I think there was a Rikon I looked at but it weighed noticeably less. The only issue I had was the urethane tires were junk and the saw would vibrate. I simply removed them, put the blade on and it was a smooth as silk so I replaced them with ones from another company.

If you can find a used saw that's not too old to get parts for that's great. What I was finding was either the 14" Delta cast iron clones (which is what I was replacing) or machines that wouldn't fit in my basement. 24" of resaw height and 1200 lbs would be great but not if I couldn't put it where I want.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    I ended up with a Grizzly G0514X2 for about $1800 . . .
    Thanks for the feedback!

In your opinion, is 100 bucks more worth having a motor break?

https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-19-3-HP-Extreme-Series-Bandsaw-with-Motor-Brake/G0514X2B

I'm a little hesitant of replacing something (urethane tires) on a new tool ... but it looks like others had to do the same... probably not too difficult?

thanks,
    Matt

Matt, there have been a number of times that I've appreciated having the brake pedal on my band saw. As to tires, I wouldn't want to have to replace them on a new saw...one of the reasons to buy a new saw is to not have to do that kind of thing!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...