Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: recommendation for band saw purchase

My recommendations:

1) Go as large as you can accommodate and find for your budget. Larger wheels and height can be an advantage. You can cut small things on a big saw, but can't cut big things on a small saw
    2) If you can be patient, try to acquire a "big" machine used
    3) If you can't find a "big" machine used, there are great options from Grizzly, and others that will fit the bill nicely
    4) Keep in mind that most larger saws do require 240v for operation. If that's a limitation for you, find the stoutest 14" saw you can afford that still runs on 120v power
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    You didn't post your age,
    I’m 46 years old!

Matt, there's a lot of good advice in this thread. I agree - if you can afford a big saw without hardship, by all means get one. It's like having extra horsepower in your car - you'll seldom regret it. But don't think for a minute that you HAVE TO spend all that money to have a useful bandsaw. There are a lot of (hobbyist) guys here who do just fine with smaller, less capable machines. For what I build, my Rikon 10-325 works just fine. I don't ever anticipate needing to resaw 11" thick Osage Orange.

Hope you enjoy whatever you buy!
    Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 10-13-2019 at 6:00 PM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

This summer I went through the same process as you are going through. I ended up with a Grizzly G0514X2 for about $1800 with shipping and tax (with a 10% off coupon). In the end it came down to the Laguna BX18 and the Grizzly. Each saw had some points that stood out. The Laguna had an extra 4" of resaw height and a disc brake set up. The Grizzly has a stronger set up for the table. Both are about the same price. I think there was a Rikon I looked at but it weighed noticeably less. The only issue I had was the urethane tires were junk and the saw would vibrate. I simply removed them, put the blade on and it was a smooth as silk so I replaced them with ones from another company.

If you can find a used saw that's not too old to get parts for that's great. What I was finding was either the 14" Delta cast iron clones (which is what I was replacing) or machines that wouldn't fit in my basement. 24" of resaw height and 1200 lbs would be great but not if I couldn't put it where I want.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    I ended up with a Grizzly G0514X2 for about $1800 . . .
    Thanks for the feedback!

In your opinion, is 100 bucks more worth having a motor break?

https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-19-3-HP-Extreme-Series-Bandsaw-with-Motor-Brake/G0514X2B

I'm a little hesitant of replacing something (urethane tires) on a new tool ... but it looks like others had to do the same... probably not too difficult?

thanks,
    Matt

Matt, there have been a number of times that I've appreciated having the brake pedal on my band saw. As to tires, I wouldn't want to have to replace them on a new saw...one of the reasons to buy a new saw is to not have to do that kind of thing!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I would put new tires on from another source if the stock ones were junk. Like the way Alex tested that by installing the blade without tires to isolate the tires as the issue. Proves there is a real good machine there with cheap tires. On pretty well every machine some "tweaking" is going to be required to get good performance. Nice to see a little common sense applied to a problem.

I like having the brake. The foot brake is tied to a switch that cuts the power to the saw so even if you don't need to stop the blade quickly. It's easier than pushing the button. I also like having the key switch. I take the tension off the blade when not in use and what i do is take the key out and it's on a key ring with a magnet. I stick that to the lever so the machine can't be started without putting tension back on the arm.

As for the tires go, swapping them was easy. I'm sure I could have gotten a replacement set from Grizzly (probably several if needed) but I decided not to. Yes I agree it should have worked fine with the ones the saw came with but there are several people who complain about the saw vibrating and struggling to fix it. I posted my experience simply because people should know. The Laguna may have been perfect right out of the crate but if it wasn't it seamed like their customer service was a little more hit or miss. Replacement tires are easy to source from another company, other parts not so much. Each person is different. I would expect if I paid $4K+ on a saw it should work great. When I pay $1800 for a saw with the same capacity I might have to work out an issue or two. Other people would have expected G0514 to work perfectly.

I did talk with the localish (3 1/2 hours away) Rockler about the BX18. They said they could order one to the store and we could remove it and try it out. I don't know if other stores have this ability or not but it would be a good way to see a saw run before making the purchase. I was leaning towards the Laguna but in the end, because I use the band saw to cut turning blanks that can weigh over 100 lbs, I felt the trunion/ table lift set up on the Grizzly would be more robust.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Maybe you just got a bad blade, David. Lots of folks run 0.035" gage TriMaster (and Woodmaster CT) blades on a MM16 w/o issue. And I completely agree with your recommendation to have two BS's.

John
    I have heard that many run TriMasters with no issue on MM16s. Maybe I did get a bad one. Manufactures do recommend wheels 18" or larger for carbide so it does make me a little squeamish. I heard Lenox reformulated their band so the TriMaster could be used on smaller wheel saws but I don't know this for sure. Maybe I should give it a try again that was one sweet blade when it worked.

David

I was in a similar position earlier this summer. I started out with a budget of $1000 but ended up getting a Laguna 18bx during their 10% off sale. Saved about $200. I don't know a ton about band saws but I like it so far. I have a 1" Resaw King on it right now and I also got the light and mobile base. The mobile base is fairly meh but it gets the job done. I only have to move it when working with anything longer than 8'. The ceramic guides are kind of a pain but based on what I have read they get a lot easier the more you work with them.

Like you, I went the cheap route early on with a few of my tools and I have regretted most of those purchases. This band saw replaced a 10" WEN which, while good for its size, was just completely undersized for most of my needs.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Someone asked if I’d post what I ended up with.

I’m going to do the Grizzly G0514X2. The Laguna 18bx looked real good too.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt McGill View Post
    Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Someone asked if I’d post what I ended up with.

I’m going to do the Grizzly G0514X2. The Laguna 18bx looked real good too.
    ><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Between the two I would go with the Laguna 18bx.
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Quote Originally Posted by richard poitras View Post
    Between the two I would go with the Laguna 18bx.
    lol I knew as soon as I posted someone would say that!!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt McGill View Post
    lol I knew as soon as I posted someone would say that!!
    Its all good. The 514 is a good saw you will be happy. I had a 513 and liked it.

Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Some people dig a pit in the shop floor so they can run a bigger saw! Also look at some of the metal saws which can be variable speed with a transmission to allow wood cutting speeds. Other processes have made band saws less attractive for the metal working trades. Do-all and Grob come to mind. As well as powermatic and rockwell.
    Metal saws go to about 24 inches then they go to four wheel designs. Most will not be able to increase throat height with a riser block. What you buy is what you get. Once you get to about 36 inches the prices tend to rise very little up to 48". They do jump up at 60 inches.
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 10-19-2019 at 9:12 PM.