Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shapeoko - XXL - Anybody running one?

Quote Originally Posted by John Lifer View Post
    I respectfully DISAGREE.... the base machine is just mechanical. No wiring, no motors, no controller. Add $1600 min for the nema 23 if you want to stay with Avid. That gets you on up to $5000. Got to get it shipped. And it isn't free shipping. Add mach 3, your router mount and you are at $6000 delivered.
    Way over the Shapeoko (I'm up to about $3k with mine upgraded Z. )
    Hi John,

With respect to the actual machine travel in x and y, a more realistic comparison to the XXL would be the Avid CNC Router Parts CRP4824. The XXL specs are 33" x 33" actual travel (1089 square inches of area) and the CRP4824 specs are 49.5" x 25.75" actual travel (1272 square inches of area).

CRP4824 basic machine - $2475 plus $233 shipping
    Qty. 4 Nema 23 (425 oz-in) @ $39.90 each = $160
    Gecko G540 drive - $280
    Mean Well 48V DC power supply - $66
    Warp9 ESS (electronic smooth stepper) - $185
    Power Supply - 12V DC - $10
    Mach3 - $172
    Wiring Harness Parts - Approx. $100
    (all prices include shipping cost)

Total - $3681

I should mention that the Centroid Acorn controller with CNC12 software could be substituted for the Mach3/Warp9 ESS combo for essentially the same cost. This would provide a modern day control system vastly superior to the Mach3/Mach4 scenario.

I have no personal experience with the Shapeoko machines, but I assume they are pretty simple to put together and are "plug & play" as far as the wiring harness connections.
    I have assembled 2 of the CNCRP/Avid machines. They are also pretty simple to assemble, test, and get up and running. Their electronics packages (when purchased from Avid) are "plug & play" as well.

The XXL weights around 150 lbs. The CRP4824 weight is around 320 lbs. (without the optional leg kit). At over twice the weight, I would expect the CRP4824 to be a more substantial machine.
    The "build your own" scenario using parts individually purchased may (or may not) be a little bit intimidating to some prospective buyers. But I would have to agree with Biff that it is indeed possible to build a potentially more robust machine for approximately the same cost as he came up with.

David
    Last edited by David Buchhauser; 12-08-2019 at 4:53 AM.

Blog Entries
    Agreed David, But that wasn't the Avid machine mentioned..... And Yep, it AIN'T plugnplay. You are sourcing various parts and only using the Avid mechanicals.
    If I had wanted to do that, there are other options that I could cobble my machine together equal to this at half the price. I am not overly enamored with the Shapeoke machine. It is a decent machine, you DO have to assemble it, but it is ALL in one package and If you can put together simple mechanical parts, you can assemble and use it.
    There is a good warranty and very good support. I can, and did email for replacement part, and it arrived in 3 days. No questions asked. I can't go anywhere if I'm wiring machine myself and short out a circuit board..... Carbide will replace.
    Just say'n. There are plenty of options. And I CAN sell this machine for about 80% of what I've got in it. Home made machine? nowhere near.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Hi John,
    I think the bottom line here is that in general you get what you pay for - either in dollars spent, time spent, or a combination of the two. There are some machines that come delivered completely "turn-key", others that require some assembly, and still others that are either scratch builds or something like Biff had suggested. Of course most all of them do come with some sort of warranty, with the possible exception of some of the Asian machines ordered directly from overseas. I think it all depends on the builder/buyer's budget, intended use, technical skill level, value placed on time (build vs. buy), and expectation of performance. The main thing is that you feel comfortable with your Shapeoko purchase, are happy with the results it is producing for you, and know that you can sell it any time and recover a good portion of your initial investment.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by John Lifer View Post
    I respectfully DISAGREE.... the base machine is just mechanical. No wiring, no motors, no controller. Add $1600 min for the nema 23 if you want to stay with Avid. That gets you on up to $5000. Got to get it shipped. And it isn't free shipping. Add mach 3, your router mount and you are at $6000 delivered.
    Way over the Shapeoko (I'm up to about $3k with mine upgraded Z. )
    You don't need the Avid controller.. That's what the gecko G540 is for.
    I already added the cost of Mach3 and the router mount in. You could probably source
    a cheaper router mount or even make one if you wanted to save a little there.

Yes, You would have to buy or build legs, but that is not a major expense.
    Yes, you would have to pay shipping.. that is obvious. And yes, the shipping is probably more than the Shapeko. Wiring is not a big expense. If you have to buy the steppers, they are roughly $50 each , so yes, I missed that (another $200), but it's still under 4k total.

Avid is still a better setup for someone with a budget of about 4k. Much better machine.
    No offense, but why not skip the step of buying a Shapaeko and then later upgrading, and then having to deal with reselling the Shapeako, if you have a 4k budget like the original poster? Of course, if finances mean Shapaeko or nothing, then that changes things.
    Last edited by Biff Phillips; 12-10-2019 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Biff Phillips View Post

No offense, but why not skip the step of buying a Shapaeko and then later upgrading, and then having to deal with reselling the Shapeako, if you have a 4k budget like the original poster?
    Biff,
    I think the answer is that not everyone may have the technical skills/expertise, inclination, or interest in purchasing and assembling the separate parts to accomplish a "semi-scratch build". There is a lot to be said for buying a cnc router, whether as a complete turn-key machine (think CAMaster) or in semi-kit form (think Avid, Shapeako, etc.) where the complete machine is purchased/supported/warranteed by a single company.
    David

And....the OP already has his Shapeoko XXL up and running for a few weeks now...and his budget was under $3K including the Vectric software and other necessary items beyond just the machine.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    And....the OP already has his Shapeoko XXL up and running for a few weeks now...and his budget was under $3K including the Vectric software and other necessary items beyond just the machine.
    Hi Jim,
    Thanks for the update. I was aware that Dennis had purchased his machine, but some of the others may not have been following the entire thread.
    David

Yes...I have a machine up and running. Really enjoying it....when I get time to tinker with it. I've been swamped with the day job and with getting this blasted HUGE dining table project finished. As of right now, I got what I paid for...a working CNC to start out with. My plans are to upgrade/add another CNC to my shop in a year or 2. I plan on adding a Stinger I or II...but time and budget will tell.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.