Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shapeoko - XXL - Anybody running one?

For the money the Shapeoko XXL is hard to beat. I ran one for 3 years. They also hold their value. I sold mine plus a base I built for it pretty easily for $1600 after 3 years of use. You can't compare it to a bigger machine, it's not fair. For what it is at its price point its awesome. Their support is great as well. Pair it with v-carve and it's good to go. I did a lot with mine. Only real downside is the speed for larger projects. But you will get that with any machine running a trim router. Some 2.5D carvings can take a long time. The Carbide Motion software to run it though allows you to pause pretty easy. I'd pause and turn the router off and go to bed. Then it would pick right up where it left off when I started it back up. I cut some brass inlays on mine as well.

Bottom line, it's a great machine for the money and used ones pop up all the time. I think it's probably the best place to start, if you don't like it then you can get all or most of your money back out of it. If you do like it and want to upgrade later you can get your money back out of it. Win win.

Buy the suck it dust boot as well.

If you are going to run it a lot you might want a second trim router on hand as well. It will burn through brushes over time. Or have brushes on hand.

The downside is this is a downward spiral. The sky is the limit.

I found one on CraigsList for one near me. I contacted the seller and it sold yesterday.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock View Post
    I found one on CraigsList for one near me. I contacted the seller and it sold yesterday.

At least the price for new is reasonable...and you get to put it together, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post

At least the price for new is reasonable...and you get to put it together, too.
    and it’s usually in stock and ready to ship as opposed to the new Millright unit that is coming. I almost ordered a Shapeoko XL before finding my used Axiom last week. It would have been a little cheaper to go Shapeoko but not a whole lot over a used unit. If you are on Facebook there is a very active Shapeoko users group. Tons of people using them to make all sorts of stuff. Unless you can scrape up more funds I’d jump on the Shapeoko and not look back. You can start using it now and can always upgrade later if you feel the need. Good luck which ever way you go.

It's always wiser to buy the right CNC for you, the first time. It is cheaper in the long run. That said, I totally understand a budget and there are other expenses that you'll have that you may not have thought about whether it is software, cutting bits, dust collection, etc. The good thing is that no matter which CNC you purchase, they'll all run very similar so the experience you gain with one such as the Shapeoko will be beneficial if you decide later to upgrade. Size might be an issue but quality wise, I have heard nothing bad about the Shapeoko as long as you go in not expecting it to be in the same class as say a Camaster. If they have a forum or facebook group do some researching there and you may find a good used one that way.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lifer View Post
    They appear to be very good machines with a lot of options. He ain't getting one at his price point though...... The smallest will be about double his max.
    (without a base)
    Yes John - twice the price for maybe 3 or 4 times the machine! I own two of them (Avid CNC Router Parts) and they are great! It all depends on your budget.
    David

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Buchhauser View Post
    Yes John - twice the price for maybe 3 or 4 times the machine! I own two of them (Avid CNC Router Parts) and they are great! It all depends on your budget.
    David

Oh, you are way underestimating the Avid machines. Probably 10 times the machine, but if you don't have the $, you do what you can.
    Same as lasers. I'd love to have a Trotec or Epilog, but the cheapest one is triple what I paid for my Chinese.....
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Quote Originally Posted by John Lifer View Post
    Oh, you are way underestimating the Avid machines. Probably 10 times the machine, but if you don't have the $, you do what you can.
    Same as lasers. I'd love to have a Trotec or Epilog, but the cheapest one is triple what I paid for my Chinese.....
    Hi John,
    You are probably right - the Avids are great machines. I have one setup for wood, and the other will be put into service dedicated to high speed aluminum machining. But I also have a smaller "shop built" machine that can still do alot for the $900 or so it cost me in parts to build it.
    David

I purchased a Shapeoko XXL in Sept 2019 as an addition to my shop to help in making trophy bases. I did a lot of research and the common thread was that the machine itself is outstanding but the instructions on putting it together suck canal water! I also found this to be true from my own experience. I finally got through it and now love the machine! It's definitely heavy duty. Here's a tip . . . don't tighten up any part of the bed and frame until you get it perfectly square. Drove me nuts getting the squareness down! (Order a touch probe with it - it will save you a lot of time when you start using it.) Good luck!

Gosh, It's been a long time since I posted here! Didn't know that ugly photo was gonna pop up! I apologize to everyone who saw it.
    Had a Universal 50 watt laser for 3 years and upgraded to a Trotec Speedy 360 80 watt. Shop is full of woodworking tools and equipment that I'm trying to wear out.
    Favorite wood is Mesquite. I love long walks along the sawmill stacks. Looking for tools that understand the inner me - who love me for what I can do with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock View Post
    David,
    I'm trying to stay around the $3K mark. And for sure to stay under the $4K mark. I know that I can put a CNC to work right now....but money is my problem and not things to make with a CNC. I've almost given up on the idea of putting a CNC in my shop but I know that.....in my heart of hearts....that I really need to put one in my shop. I just need to figure out how (financially).
    Ok, so I am hopping back in..
    The CNC router part/ Avid CNC 4x4 standard kit is 3100.
    A gecko G540 is about 270
    mach 3 is $175
    Router mount 120
    So now we are at $3665.
    I am going to assume he has an extra router, old PC with monitor to run Mach 3 on.

For CAM:
    Vectric Cut 2d is about 400, Deskproto is about 273 after converting to Euro, Fusion 360 (Which I have never used) is free for hobbyist.. his software choice all depends on what he is doing, probably best to start with Fusion to get a feel for what he wants to do.

So he is under $4000.. And now he has a much better machine than the Shapeko. Dennis has been here a long time, I am pretty sure he if he buys a good CNC, he will use it for the rest of his life.. No offense to the people that like Shapeko, but his budget does allow him to get a better machine. And I don't work for CNC router parts/Avid..
    Last edited by Biff Phillips; 12-02-2019 at 9:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Biff Phillips View Post
    mach 3 is $175
    Router mount 120
    So now we are at $3665.
    I am going to assume he has an extra router, old PC with monitor to run Mach 3 on.

For CAM:
    Vectric Cut 2d is about 400, Deskproto is about 273 after converting to Euro, Fusion 360 (Which I have never used) is free for hobbyist.. his software choice all depends on what he is doing, probably best to start with Fusion to get a feel for what he wants to do.

So he is under $4000.. And now he has a much better machine than the Shapeko. Dennis has been here a long time, I am pretty sure he if he buys a good CNC, he will use it for the rest of his life.. No offense to the people that like Shapeko, but his budget does allow him to get a better machine. And I don't work for CNC router parts/Avid..
    I just had a similar discussion with a friend of mine as he has a Shapeoko 3 XXL and they just released a heavier duty Z axis carrier. We ran the same math and found that by the time he buys that he'd be better off buying the AVID CNC standard kit and selling his Shapeoko. Not sure where he ended up, but my point is I agree with the above statement.

I love the Shapeoko for what it is and I think it's a great starting platform and it's easy to sell used with minimal investment lost. However, if budget allows, it's hard to beat AVID CNC. Far more expandable/customizable.

removed post since Dennis already has it.
    Last edited by Biff Phillips; 12-02-2019 at 12:41 PM.

Dennis already has his Shapeoko XXL up and running....
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Haughs View Post
    I just had a similar discussion with a friend of mine as he has a Shapeoko 3 XXL and they just released a heavier duty Z axis carrier. We ran the same math and found that by the time he buys that he'd be better off buying the AVID CNC standard kit and selling his Shapeoko. Not sure where he ended up, but my point is I agree with the above statement.

I love the Shapeoko for what it is and I think it's a great starting platform and it's easy to sell used with minimal investment lost. However, if budget allows, it's hard to beat AVID CNC. Far more expandable/customizable.
    Thanks for the response and comment.. I agree

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Biff Phillips View Post
    mach 3 is $175
    Router mount 120
    So now we are at $3665.

For CAM:

I respectfully DISAGREE.... the base machine is just mechanical. No wiring, no motors, no controller. Add $1600 min for the nema 23 if you want to stay with Avid. That gets you on up to $5000. Got to get it shipped. And it isn't free shipping. Add mach 3, your router mount and you are at $6000 delivered.
    Way over the Shapeoko (I'm up to about $3k with mine upgraded Z. )
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others