Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shapeoko - XXL - Anybody running one?

Shapeoko - XXL - Anybody running one?

Well, I've seriously looked at my finances and it has reflected that I am not going to be able to pay cash for a Stinger II or even a Stinger I CNC setup. So, I'm now looking at the Shapeoko 3 XXL to allow me to get experience with CNC and enable me to do a few things that I could surely use in my shop right now.

I'm looking for feedback......oh, and I'm planning on running VCarve Pro.

My heart is on a Stinger II 4x8, I lowered my desires due to "money" and that dropped me to a Stinger I 2x3 and then I thought and looked more and have had to drop to looking at the Shapeoko 3 XXL.

Thoughts? Experiences?
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I think it's a nice machine for the money, Dennis. In fact, it was my original target before I decided to go larger/heavier. Of the small, "kit" CNCs, I found the Shapeoko the most appealing and the XXL provides enough space to do useful work. It's also capable of being pushed for really fine non-ferous metal work...just watch some of Winston Moy's videos on YouTube.

I'm 100% for you getting some kind of CNC into your operation, Dennis...I think the technology is right down your skills ally and that you'll really eat it up. If you need something cut larger once in awhile, we can work something out.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    I'll go check it out. Thanks for the link.
    Dennis -
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock View Post
    Well, I've seriously looked at my finances and it has reflected that I am not going to be able to pay cash for a Stinger II or even a Stinger I CNC setup. So, I'm now looking at the Shapeoko 3 XXL to allow me to get experience with CNC and enable me to do a few things that I could surely use in my shop right now.

I'm looking for feedback......oh, and I'm planning on running VCarve Pro.

My heart is on a Stinger II 4x8, I lowered my desires due to "money" and that dropped me to a Stinger I 2x3 and then I thought and looked more and have had to drop to looking at the Shapeoko 3 XXL.

Thoughts? Experiences?
    Hi Dennis,
    Do you have a budget in mind for the acquisition of a new (or used) cnc router? (Including any software purchase required to run it).
    Thanks,
    David

David,
    I'm trying to stay around the $3K mark. And for sure to stay under the $4K mark. I know that I can put a CNC to work right now....but money is my problem and not things to make with a CNC. I've almost given up on the idea of putting a CNC in my shop but I know that.....in my heart of hearts....that I really need to put one in my shop. I just need to figure out how (financially).
    Dennis -

Look at the Avid CNC (formerly CNC Router Parts) kits, substantially more capable machines (at an admittedly higher price).

I designed and built my own that was comfortably under your $3k price, but I lucked into some bargain materials.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Colorado Woodworkers Guild
    Colorado CNC User Group

David,
    I'm trying to stay around the $3K mark. And for sure to stay under the $4K mark. I know that I can put a CNC to work right now....but money is my problem and not things to make with a CNC. I've almost given up on the idea of putting a CNC in my shop but I know that.....in my heart of hearts....that I really need to put one in my shop. I just need to figure out how (financially).
    Hi Dennis,
    That Shapeoko XXL looks like a very capable machine. There was a used one that sold recently for $1000 including some extra bits on the Shapeoko forum.
    That might be a good place to look if you are interested in saving some money by purchasing one second hand. Do you already have a computer to use as a dedicated controller? If not - reconditioned ones are pretty inexpensive these days. I just bought this one on Ebay for $205 with free shipping.

I think you can have a pretty nice setup (Shapeoko XXL, VCarve Pro, control computer, router, bits, etc.) and still be right around your $3k target.
    David

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Fast-HP-W...72.m2749.l2649

https://forum.shapeoko.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=9981&sid=b9f4256c648e5d79539f 9b4716ab5b7a

Windows 10 computer.jpg

Blog Entries
    I just bought one and in process of putting it together. Decent kit, appears to be well thought out. I DO see the Z axis being the weak spot and the HDZ upgrade with a spindle (about $7-800 additional) is probably in my future once I figure out how to run this thing. BTW, there WAS one on Craig's list down in Little Rock last week. I didn't want to travel 8 hours, so I let it pass. I thought hard about another machine, but it was way smaller machine and more $ at the time.
    It was still on FaceB and close to me in Springdale as of early last week.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Quote Originally Posted by David Buchhauser View Post
    Hi Dennis,
    That Shapeoko XXL looks like a very capable machine. There was a used one that sold recently for $1000 including some extra bits on the Shapeoko forum.
    That might be a good place to look if you are interested in saving some money by purchasing one second hand. Do you already have a computer to use as a dedicated controller? If not - reconditioned ones are pretty inexpensive these days. I just bought this one on Ebay for $205 with free shipping.

I think you can have a pretty nice setup (Shapeoko XXL, VCarve Pro, control computer, router, bits, etc.) and still be right around your $3k target.
    David
    David,
    Currently, I have everything I need except the CNC machine and VCarve. These are the only 2 pieces I'm lacking at this point.
    Dennis -

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Gonzalez View Post
    Look at the Avid CNC (formerly CNC Router Parts) kits, substantially more capable machines (at an admittedly higher price).

I designed and built my own that was comfortably under your $3k price, but I lucked into some bargain materials.
    I looked at Avid a few times. By the time I put all the items I need in the bucket....I was over the price point of a Stinger I 2x4 machine.
    Dennis -

I looked at Avid a few times. By the time I put all the items I need in the bucket....I was over the price point of a Stinger I 2x4 machine.
    that was the same for me. When looking at a parts build the cost ends up way more than the prebuilt models in the 2x3 and 2x4 size I was looking at.

you might want to check out "CNC router parts" kits too.
    The nice thing is that they are expandable at a later time, so if you decide you need a larger footprint, you can reuse a lot of the equipment. You get rack and pinion and a much more rigid machine. I do not personally have one of these, but talked to people that have them, and they are very happy.
    I have heard mixed comments about the Shapeoko.. but since I have not seen or used one first hand, I really don't want to repeat comments here.

Quote Originally Posted by Biff Phillips View Post
    you might want to check out "CNC router parts" kits too.
    The nice thing is that they are expandable at a later time, so if you decide you need a larger footprint, you can reuse a lot of the equipment. You get rack and pinion and a much more rigid machine. I do not personally have one of these, but talked to people that have them, and they are very happy.
    I have heard mixed comments about the Shapeoko.. but since I have not seen or used one first hand, I really don't want to repeat comments here.

Hi Biff,
    CNC Router Parts has recently changed their name to Avid CNC. The kits and parts are the same, just a new name. I have a CNC Router Parts Pro4848 that I built from one of there kits. It is a well built machine and I am very pleased with it. I am currently finishing up an Avid CNC Pro4824 machine with ATC spindle that is likewise a nice machine.
    David

Blog Entries
    They appear to be very good machines with a lot of options. He ain't getting one at his price point though...... The smallest will be about double his max.
    (without a base)
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others