Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shapeoko - XXL - Anybody running one?

For the money the Shapeoko XXL is hard to beat. I ran one for 3 years. They also hold their value. I sold mine plus a base I built for it pretty easily for $1600 after 3 years of use. You can't compare it to a bigger machine, it's not fair. For what it is at its price point its awesome. Their support is great as well. Pair it with v-carve and it's good to go. I did a lot with mine. Only real downside is the speed for larger projects. But you will get that with any machine running a trim router. Some 2.5D carvings can take a long time. The Carbide Motion software to run it though allows you to pause pretty easy. I'd pause and turn the router off and go to bed. Then it would pick right up where it left off when I started it back up. I cut some brass inlays on mine as well.

Bottom line, it's a great machine for the money and used ones pop up all the time. I think it's probably the best place to start, if you don't like it then you can get all or most of your money back out of it. If you do like it and want to upgrade later you can get your money back out of it. Win win.

Buy the suck it dust boot as well.

If you are going to run it a lot you might want a second trim router on hand as well. It will burn through brushes over time. Or have brushes on hand.

The downside is this is a downward spiral. The sky is the limit.

I found one on CraigsList for one near me. I contacted the seller and it sold yesterday.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock View Post
    I found one on CraigsList for one near me. I contacted the seller and it sold yesterday.

At least the price for new is reasonable...and you get to put it together, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post

At least the price for new is reasonable...and you get to put it together, too.
    and it’s usually in stock and ready to ship as opposed to the new Millright unit that is coming. I almost ordered a Shapeoko XL before finding my used Axiom last week. It would have been a little cheaper to go Shapeoko but not a whole lot over a used unit. If you are on Facebook there is a very active Shapeoko users group. Tons of people using them to make all sorts of stuff. Unless you can scrape up more funds I’d jump on the Shapeoko and not look back. You can start using it now and can always upgrade later if you feel the need. Good luck which ever way you go.

It's always wiser to buy the right CNC for you, the first time. It is cheaper in the long run. That said, I totally understand a budget and there are other expenses that you'll have that you may not have thought about whether it is software, cutting bits, dust collection, etc. The good thing is that no matter which CNC you purchase, they'll all run very similar so the experience you gain with one such as the Shapeoko will be beneficial if you decide later to upgrade. Size might be an issue but quality wise, I have heard nothing bad about the Shapeoko as long as you go in not expecting it to be in the same class as say a Camaster. If they have a forum or facebook group do some researching there and you may find a good used one that way.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lifer View Post
    They appear to be very good machines with a lot of options. He ain't getting one at his price point though...... The smallest will be about double his max.
    (without a base)
    Yes John - twice the price for maybe 3 or 4 times the machine! I own two of them (Avid CNC Router Parts) and they are great! It all depends on your budget.
    David

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Buchhauser View Post
    Yes John - twice the price for maybe 3 or 4 times the machine! I own two of them (Avid CNC Router Parts) and they are great! It all depends on your budget.
    David

Oh, you are way underestimating the Avid machines. Probably 10 times the machine, but if you don't have the $, you do what you can.
    Same as lasers. I'd love to have a Trotec or Epilog, but the cheapest one is triple what I paid for my Chinese.....
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser
    Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws

RIA 22TCM 1911s

Quote Originally Posted by John Lifer View Post
    Oh, you are way underestimating the Avid machines. Probably 10 times the machine, but if you don't have the $, you do what you can.
    Same as lasers. I'd love to have a Trotec or Epilog, but the cheapest one is triple what I paid for my Chinese.....
    Hi John,
    You are probably right - the Avids are great machines. I have one setup for wood, and the other will be put into service dedicated to high speed aluminum machining. But I also have a smaller "shop built" machine that can still do alot for the $900 or so it cost me in parts to build it.
    David