Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Track Saw Setup

Technically it's my future fishing boat account, but...priorities, ya know.
    Some good advice I picked up here at SMC few years ago is - "If it flies, floats or fools around, rent it".....as a former boat owner all I can say is - it's sound advice ..

I have the Makita cordless track saw & love it. I also have a Festool TS55 EQ & both Festool rails and Makita rails. I haven't used the Festool saw since I picked up the Makita.
    I do use the Festool tracks with the Makita most of the time. I find them just a bit more accurate.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

what are you going to cut on . I now have scrap carpet on hand .On a table in the shop I have a piece of carpet .Perfect for cutting .Set blade just a bit deeper then what your cutting .Carpet is great for sanding on also .holds strange shapes steady for sanding and cutting . I carry carpet scraps in the truck also for jobsight work ,I can toss it on many flat surfaces and have a place to use my track saw .

Not my intention to derail the thread but I think my question may fit here since I’m also interested in a tracksaw setup. I’ve noticed some bad reviews on amazon when it comes to joining the makita track pieces. Any reason the ends could not be cut to square in a RAS? I’m leaning towards the Makita as it seems more aftermarket and FT accessories will work with this track as opposed to dewalt or bosh. Please correct me if I’m wrong. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Fish View Post
    Not my intention to derail the thread but I think my question may fit here since I’m also interested in a tracksaw setup. I’ve noticed some bad reviews on amazon when it comes to joining the makita track pieces. Any reason the ends could not be cut to square in a RAS? I’m leaning towards the Makita as it seems more aftermarket and FT accessories will work with this track as opposed to dewalt or bosh. Please correct me if I’m wrong. Thanks
    You mean the ends of the_tracks_? Somehow I don't think that's what they were talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    The little hooky-things that Festool sells to make longer tracks out of shorter ones, IMO they don't work reliably, it's really the workmanship of risk. It's one of their weaker products. I wouldn't consider it a luxury to be in a position to trust your tools to work right. :^/

While the Festool connector strips aren't their best effort, Makita's are better and TSO's are great; they do work reliably if you know how to use them. There are articles and videos on proper setup. Use a reliable straight edge like a level and leave a tiny gap between the ends.

We we cut cabinet panels from Europe for demanding clients all the time with two joined rails. If there's poor workmanship it takes 6-10 weeks to get a new one and they cost thousands of dollars plus the expedited air shipping. We've not replaced one yet because the cuts were bad.

A long rail is nice until you have to store it in your vehicle, cram it in a short elevator, or walk it up 3+ stories of stairs.

No no need to wax the rails, the glide strips on top are plenty slick. Be aware there are some reports that Makita's new notched strips are causing wear on the saw bases.
    Last edited by Dave Sabo; 10-15-2019 at 7:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    You mean the ends of the_tracks_? Somehow I don't think that's what they were talking about.
    Yeah I did the assumption thing there as some of the complaints noted the ends were out of square. I don’t have any experience with this system. Possibly some of user error in setup, I will look into the parts and technique Doug mentions.
    Thanks for the info guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Some good advice I picked up here at SMC few years ago is - "If it flies, floats or fools around, rent it".....as a former boat owner all I can say is - it's sound advice ..

I have the Makita cordless track saw & love it. I also have a Festool TS55 EQ & both Festool rails and Makita rails. I haven't used the Festool saw since I picked up the Makita.
    I do use the Festool tracks with the Makita most of the time. I find them just a bit more accurate.
    I've heard the rent advice. The other one I like, and have utilized to my advantage for a while now is, "the best boat is the one someone else is making payments on."