Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Angie's List

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    For sure on the insurance. Most independent contractors probably have a simple liability policy, but there is a lot more that is required. Workers comp for example is stupidly expensive for carpenters so it is resisted. However, it's apparently pretty easy for an ambulance chasing lawyer to turn a contractor/customer relationship into a employee/employer and then come after the homeowner/employer if a contractor gets hurt or worse.
    That's a good reason for the homeowner to have an umbrella insurance policy if there are significant assets at stake (like a house or retirement investments, etc.) They are cheap, and are a good line of defense, as the insured amounts are typically in the seven figures, the insurance company is legally bound to defend you, and we all know they _hate_ to pay out. :^)

I tried Home Advisers, huge mistake, they gave me 3 leads closest one was 30 miles away. I emailed all 3 only one replied to tell me he no longer did construction work. I found someone that lived in my own city on my own and let HA know because I was getting 2/3 emails a day containing links to every thing from havac people to pool cleaners not even close to what I was asking for. Then I started to get phone calls from them using cloned # for caller ID. Finally after a month or so they all stopped. Never again.
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Donley View Post
    I tried Home Advisers, huge mistake, they gave me 3 leads closest one was 30 miles away. I emailed all 3 only one replied to tell me he no longer did construction work. I found someone that lived in my own city on my own and let HA know because I was getting 2/3 emails a day containing links to every thing from havac people to pool cleaners not even close to what I was asking for. Then I started to get phone calls from them using cloned # for caller ID. Finally after a month or so they all stopped. Never again.
    Thanks for that information Scott.

Apparently they must make some of their income from selling your information to telemarketers.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Thanks for that information Scott.

Apparently they must make some of their income from selling your information to telemarketers.

jtk
    Just to make it clear, it was Home adviser sending all the e-mails and making the phone calls. I guess they were working overtime in making a sale. Hey maybe I needed a plumber or havac help and heck, I was going to need someone to put in the pool that I might need cleaned

Have to add to the above, just now got a call from some local company that does remodeling wanting to know if I needed any work done as in kitchen or bathroom, I told them I do but would not do anything with a company that breaks federal law by calling me as I was on the do not call list, he said he did not know as he got my number from Home Adviser
    . I guess they do sell yor info.
    Last edited by Scott Donley; 10-15-2019 at 7:13 PM. Reason: Just got Phone call
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott