Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water leak detection?

Water leak detection?

Anyone have thoughts on home water leak detection devices?

I always worry about leaving home and a fixture supply hose burst....or having the icemaker solenoid stay stuck open....or having the dishwasher overflow....etc

Seems like a handful of simple moisture sensors could be peppered through a house (under sinks, etc) and be wirelessly connected to a solenoid on the main. I'm having a hard time finding such a system that looks robust and reliable, though.

There seem to be lots of systems that will send an alert to my phone....even if I'm only a few minutes away, though, that seems questionably useful (plenty of damage can be done in minutes).

Anyone have a system they trust? Or is this not necessary? I was already planning a prophylactic replacement of older supply hoses...

Exclamation Turn off main water switch

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    Anyone have thoughts on home water leak detection devices?

I always worry about leaving home and a fixture supply hose burst....or having the icemaker solenoid stay stuck open....or having the dishwasher overflow....etc

Seems like a handful of simple moisture sensors could be peppered through a house (under sinks, etc) and be wirelessly connected to a solenoid on the main. I'm having a hard time finding such a system that looks robust and reliable, though.

There seem to be lots of systems that will send an alert to my phone....even if I'm only a few minutes away, though, that seems questionably useful (plenty of damage can be done in minutes).

Anyone have a system they trust? Or is this not necessary? I was already planning a prophylactic replacement of older supply hoses...
    When we go to vacations I simply turn off the main water valve, the gas switch and turn off almost all electric circuits just maintaining live the essential ones. Easy and cheap.
    All the best.

Osvaldo.

I don't know about sensors but when I leave the house for a day or more, I shut off the water to the house.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

How about this?
    https://www.getguardian.com/

Available at Amazon and Home Depot. I don’t know anything about it but saw it advertised at HD some time ago. $199@ HD with 1 leak sensor but you can buy more.

I think I saw a system once that would shut the water off when it detected a drop in pressure, from say an open faucet, burst pipe, etc. You would only use it when you were gone of course. I’ll post up if I remember where I saw it.
    Last edited by Mark Daily; 10-11-2019 at 4:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Osvaldo Cristo View Post
    When we go to vacations I simply turn off the main water valve, the gas switch and turn off almost all electric circuits just maintaining live the essential ones. Easy and cheap.
    I agree completely. It's one (of many) less things to leak or break. OTOH, these things can wear from use and start to leak themselves. Which is why you should have a second house-wide shutoff valve further in, usually in the garage or something? I have one in mine. That way when you really _really_ need to shut off the water, you can (and repairing or replacing the "inner" valve would be a lot easier.) That's the upgrade that I would recommend.

Oh, for sure I turn the water off when leaving for 1+ days. But even being gone at work for ~8hrs makes me nervous. A lot of damage could happen in 10 minutes, really.

Mark, the Guardian is conceptually exactly what I'm looking for. That particular product looks a bit rinky-dink, though - I'd worry the motor in that contraption would bind or something when needed. I'd like something like that but more industrial. Something that requires properly plumbing a valve in.

When I plumbed in for my icemaker I installed a regular wall valve and then a blow out preventor before the hose to the fridge. It might have been integrated into the valve. It does work but I learned if I shut off the water to the house. I have to slowly turn it back on or the BOP valve will trip. It is a pain to reset because you have to relieve the pressure on the output side.
    Bill D

Personally I think you're being alittle paranoid. The best thing you can do is maintain good insurance.

If you want to "Play" then I'd look into smartthings and the available leak sensors and compatible shut off valves. I say play because these system aren't 100% reliable. I've been playing with home automation for about 4 years now and the 1 thing I've learned is to not rely on it 100%. Internet connection, downtimes, and glitches all play a factor.

You're better off doing some preventative maintenance and having some trust in the system. Braided stainless hoses for the washer machine, making sure your frig is locked down so it can't rub or pinch the feed line, and maintaining leak free and properly working water fixtures and toilets.
    Jeff Body
    Go-C Graphics

China 50W Laser
    Model # SH-350
    Controller RDC6442
    Vinyl Plotter Graphtec CE600-60
    Software used
    Inkscape, FlexiStarter, VinylMaster 4, RDWorksV8

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Body View Post
    You're better off doing some preventative maintenance and having some trust in the system. Braided stainless hoses for the washer machine, making sure your frig is locked down so it can't rub or pinch the feed line, and maintaining leak free and properly working water fixtures and toilets.
    That's good feedback that I appreciate and will take to heart!

I don't know how good "Guardian" system, but now on the market few another system with device inline with main line of water and it sensing quick or slow lost of pressure
    in the main water line and can differentiate leaking of facet from slow open facet, or pipe burst. I don't remember name of the company, But Google probably will be helpful.
    Ed.

There are a number of solutions for this available on the market these days, many of them associated with security systems. My Ring alarm system can be equipped with a water sensor just like it supports smoke/CO2 alerting, for example. Many other security systems can be so equipped.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    Oh, for sure I turn the water off when leaving for 1+ days. But even being gone at work for ~8hrs makes me nervous. A lot of damage could happen in 10 minutes, really.

Mark, the Guardian is conceptually exactly what I'm looking for. That particular product looks a bit rinky-dink, though - I'd worry the motor in that contraption would bind or something when needed. I'd like something like that but more industrial. Something that requires properly plumbing a valve in.
    I read several reviews that said it worked well but the software controlling the system and connecting to your smart phone didn’t work well. So I would agree that the idea is great but this system is a no-go.

In our first house, mmmmmmm... 50 years ago now, we were asleep anticipating an early departure for vacation, when I heard a sharp crack. Got up and walked around until I heard water running. The compression nut on the supply line to the toilet in the guest bathroom had cracked, and water was spurting. 3 hours later and it would have been a disaster. Ever since, I just shut off the water at the entrance valve. In this retirement home, its in the garage and very east to reach.

Home Depot carries a product by Moen called Flo that suits what you want.
    You can check it out here.
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

Wow! There must be some really bad plumbing installations if people are paranoid about leaving a dwelling unattended for more than a day. I don't turn off any of my utilities, regardless of how long we're out of the area, especially in the cold months. When we are away for more than a week, I have someone come by randomly to clear the mail box, but I never turn off any of the utilities. I'm sure coming home after a long vacation to a house that resembles a U-boat that's been hit would be a big disappointment, but that's why I have great insurance. I would rather live with the knowledge that I'm fully protected than worry constantly about a pipe or seal failing.