Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Workbench light

Workbench light

I’ve had extremely poor vision since birth and I need a lot of light. Unfortunately, it’s hard to get enough light in my basement. I’ve been using a head lamp and it worked great, but I think I found a better solution that doesn’t require my having to put the thing on all the time. I got the idea from a Lee Valley gooseneck light, but mine has a longer gooseneck (edit: I think mine has the same length gooseneck as the LV; I provide a link to the model I bought in post #4). They had an option for a steel dog/platform to stick the lamp in a dog hole and I just made one from some mild steel screwed to a ¾” dowel which the magnetic base sticks to (quite powerfully, actually). I can put in anywhere I want on my bench and if it gets in the way, or I need a ton of light at the other end (like cutting dovetails, for example), I just slap it in a different dog hole. So far it has worked amazingly well. It runs on AA batteries, for which I use rechargeables and I always have a container of fully charged batteries on hand. The lack of a power cord is very convenient.
    light1.jpg
    light2.jpg
    light3.jpg
    Last edited by chris carter; 10-11-2019 at 1:33 PM. Reason: correction

Chris,

Nice, thanks.

ken

I got one from Lee Valley this summer and love it. I use it for spot illumination on my bench and my band saw. A longer gooseneck would be a plus. What was your solution?
    Last edited by Rob Luter; 10-11-2019 at 11:38 AM.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    I got one from Lee Valley this summer and love it. I use it for spot illumination on my bench and my band saw. A longer gooseneck would be a plus. What was your solution?
    I got this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Reading the LV description again, it looks like the goosenecks are about the same length. I was going to get the LV one, but I found the same one on Amazon (under different brand names) and the reviews were not so good which prompted me to start looking at other options. So far the gooseneck length has been fine. I can get it pointing straight down and still have 14" of clearance, which is more than I'd ever really need.

My next step is to screw a little steel plate to my pole lathe so I can see what I'm turning

Where did you source the longer gooseneck lamp from Chris? I like it and am interested in getting rid of the cord on my slightly-too-short-conventional-gooseneck lamp.
    David

Great idea Chris- thanks for sharing!

Blog Entries
    Hopefully Santa will bring me one of these.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by chris carter View Post
    I got this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Reading the LV description again, it looks like the goosenecks are about the same length. I was going to get the LV one, but I found the same one on Amazon (under different brand names) and the reviews were not so good which prompted me to start looking at other options. So far the gooseneck length has been fine. I can get it pointing straight down and still have 14" of clearance, which is more than I'd ever really need.
    My next step is to screw a little steel plate to my pole lathe so I can see what I'm turning
    Thanks Chris - just ordered one for my drill press.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

I have a bunch of the Ikea Jansjo clip on gooseneck LED lamps ($16) on my bandsaw, drillpress, etc. The version I like plugs in, but there are other options including USB.

This is a really good idea. Thank you.

Have had this for quite a while now,,,
    Spotlight, bench lite.JPG
    I can reach just about everywhere around the bench...
    spotlight, bandsaw lit up.JPG
    can be swung around until the bandsaw's table is well lit up....bandsaw also has a small light of it's own..
    60W bulb...an LED I think...
    Use it when I am sitting down at the end vise, sawing away...
    Poplar Box Project, hand sawing.JPG

There was a tip in a recent FWW mag about using portable battery-powered LED book lights for trim routers. I found a couple on line, and they have been used clamped to the drill press and bandsaw. These lights are bright! and the extra visibility is really helpful in working accurately. There is no reason they cannot be used in other situations.

Regards from Perth

Derek

It looks like the ideas behind the Amazon one (NextLED Cree LED) for $20 (eligible for free shipping) and the Lee Valley one for $35 (+$10 shipping) are about the same. They're not identical units, but one looks like a knockoff of the other.

The difference seems to be that the LV unit has an additional collar snap-in base, and maybe the LV unit has a more robust magnet on the main lamp(?). You can also buy little round metal plates from LV for $4 each to be able to mount the light in multiple spots around the shop. Somehow I'd like to believe the Lee Valley has chosen a supplier that makes a quality product, but who knows these days? Here's a YouTube video demonstrating the Lee Valley light:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKq2rhU-dlc

If I thought the integral magnets were the same strength on these two lamps, I'd buy the NextLED on Amazon and make my own metal mounting plate.

In the LED gooseneck space without spot/flood zooming, Rockler ($30) and Woodcraft ($40) each sell one. Same unit, just $10 price difference. It has a magnetic base plus a screw clamp for bench mounting.

Based on reputation (LV good, no-name Amazon nonexistent) and because the light zoom is attractive, the LV is looking like the right buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Jones 5443 View Post
    Based on reputation (LV good, no-name Amazon nonexistent) and because the light zoom is attractive, the LV is looking like the right buy.
    I can't speak to the Amazon version, but I've been pleased with the version from Lee Valley. The magnets in the mounting bracket and in the base of the lamp are both very strong. It's solid construction too.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I also have the Lee Valley. Love it. Got it with free shipping too!
    After about 3 years, it had some problem and wouldnt light up. LV sent me another at no charge.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”