Thread: Powerfeed (13, 36, 43, 108fpm)

Blog Entries

Powerfeed (13, 36, 43, 108fpm)

Seriously what is comatic/powermatic thinking with this spread? If i hadn't got this feeder attached to a saw, I'd have never bought one with those feed speeds.

Does anyone use speeds close to those on a shaper, 13 is painfully slow and 36 is a bit fast. I usually run between 20 and 30ish (variable speed) i guess the 108 might be fun for ripping on the table saw once.

Off to look for a 3ph feeder take off motor.. like those grow on trees.

A 1hp VFD would be what I would do if the speeds didn't work. I love having the "dial a speed" on the DC Comatic.

For speeds, I go up to about 60fpm max for some light cuts on the shaper, like small rabbets and skimming veneered panel edges down to fit my 6mm standard groove for cabinet doors. Any faster and you can't juggle pieces through fast enough. But for raised panels, I'm more like your 20-30fpm. Sticking is about 30 fpm, I forget the exact speed that the gearing on the Maggi gives.

I just looked up the speed range on the 15hp rip saw that we use, and it is supposedly 100fpm at max, which is where we have it set for up to 8/4 stock. 108fpm must be for doing thin rips or something. I don't think my table saw could handle that!
    Last edited by J.R. Rutter; 10-10-2019 at 11:20 PM.
    JR

Blog Entries
    I probably should have mentioned its a 120v single phase feeder. I have a vfd on one of my other feeders and its fantastic to be able to dial in the speed. I think it ruined me on all other non vs feeders. I noticed steff now offers their version of varible speed with a vfd mounted to the motor of a otherwise normal feeder

Fortunately after posting last night i found a new take off 2 speed 3ph 1hp delta (comatic) motor with drum switch on ebay for basically the cost of shipping. Its on its way.

Ill be adding another fuji drive to fill in the holes with speeds. It should go from about 3 to 108 fpm now.

Im rather confident my saw wont handle 108 either, at least not anything of any real substance.

No gear set to switch to gain 4 more speeds?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    No gear set to switch to gain 4 more speeds?
    A single ser of Change gears and a 2 speed shifter... but a single speed motor. At least the other single speed motor feeders ive seen/have had a couple sets if change gears.
    Last edited by Jared Sankovich; 10-11-2019 at 1:54 PM.

We suffered with the same issues til we jumped to the DC comatics. They are painful to buy and I wouldnt use one on a dedicated machine (id even pay someone to make a set of gears to get where I needed for that) but for a machine that does a lot of varied work the DC comatics are the bomb.

Ive long been surprised that someone hasnt aftermarketed a few different sets of change gears for these feeders (have two) and I would pay a hefty sum to be able to get a set that got me into a sweet spot.

I run nearly the same feeder on one saw and as long as the blade is dead sharp I can plow through most anything but for sure some feeds are slower than I'd like and others are so fast its clear they are crowding the machine. The miserable part is even with a riving knife if you get a randy board you can stall.

Blog Entries
    I was looking at another feeder i have and realized the drive sprockets are the same bore as the drive gears. So for about $15 you could swap in a 1:1 chain drive using stock parts and a bit of roller chain. That would add a 24.5 and 75 fpm speed.

I still dont understand the speeds comatic decided to go with.