Thread: CNC for Dummies (Me)

CNC for Dummies (Me)

Okay, I saw that the VCarve was version 8.5. So looking at what is what on the Vectric website and now everything is clear as mud. After looking at their comparisons I realize that it's not just version 8.5. It has to be a version of something else. What's everyone's preferred version? I will have to update on exactly what program it has when I get it home and hooked up/fired up. So I'm probably premature on posting this. I doubt that it has Aspire and it's a huge jump in cost from Pro to Aspire. I'm probably going to have lot's of dumb questions so I hope I don't wear you out. Okay after reading on the CAMaster website it appears that VCarve Pro was standard.
    Last edited by Ronald Blue; 10-10-2019 at 7:14 PM.

Newest version is 10. Technically you are suppose to pay a small fee to vectric and register the program you have bought with the machine. Once out its in your name you will be able to just buy the upgrade as it comes out. I believe the original owner has to send them something telling them that you bought the machine and now have the software so you can get it in your name.

Bobby is correct. Vectric is amicable to a software transfer when it was provided with the machine from the manufacturer as Camaster does, but there's a small dance to do to get it into your own name. You will want to upgrade to Version 10 which was recently released as there have been a number of things added since v8.5 that will make many operations easier or even possible. (new types of toolpath capabilities have been added over the past few releases) The upgrade is $175 for VCarve Pro. If it does happen to have Aapire (which adds the 3D modeling and a few other enhancements) the upgrade cost is $400. For the Stinger series, VCarve Pro was the standard provided with the machine, but the original buyer had the option to upgrade their order to Aspire if they wanted to. (I did the uplift to Aspire later...there's no penalty with Vectric for moving up to a more capable product...it's just the difference in cost)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Dan, Ronald has joined Camheads in the past week which certainly opens up a host of additional "owner support" opportunities including the map!
    --

West Central near the Iowa/Missouri border. I will be picking it up in about an hour. I will submit the info on Camheads for owner privileges after I get it home.

I'm looking at getting a second desktop to do the programming on and leave the main computer that's setup with WinCNC dedicated to the CAMaster. It's also in the shop and I want this one in the house. Probably in my basement not that it matters. What are your recommendations for processor power? Any suggestions?

The Vectric software doesn't place high demands on a computer...a typical i5 multicore CPU with 8GB of RAM and an SSD will provide a nice quick computer for your design work. There is no harm in more RAM, but it's not going to affect the Vectric software much at all...of course, I'm one who prefers more. What's more important is the display. I personally use a 27" Dell UltraSharp for that purpose with 2550x1440 resolution which for me is a minimum requirement. Next step up is 4K, but that costs more. Don't buy a large monitor that only has "HD" type resolution...
    --