Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Dovetail jig for production boxes

Best Dovetail jig for production boxes

Looking for the simplest most straightforward jig for utilitarian drawer boxes for kitchen, bath, shop etc.
    I do hand cut for furniture but would like something general boxes, was looking at the porter cable or the Keller, I also saw that leigh makes one similar to the Keller.

Any comments, criticism appreciated!

I have one of the older Leigh adjustable type. Never use it (in fact should sell it), although it 'works' it just requires a bunch of setup/tweaking. Those simple fixed template types look pretty straightforward which I would lean toward for a basic system.

For anything not cut by hand, I use the WoodRat (with digital readout). Pretty brainless, quick, and infinite adjust-ability.

I have the PC and feel like it's a great tool for the money. I added the Leigh vacuum/rest attachment which makes a world of difference. There is virtually no mess to clean up when using it.

Scott

If doing production ( even low production ) quantities, I'd look for a used Omec or Dodds single bit machine. I found one for about 2K and it is way faster than a jig. Dave

Blog Entries
    You'll be lucky to find a dodds,etc. Rare to find one around for sale. We sold one 7 years ago and most who called didn't even know what it was. Have only seen one come up since....sounds like you need a PC omnijig. Had the LEIGH and sold it....

Should have mentioned, not that much production - not building cabinets for a living otherwise no question Dodds or Omec...

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    If doing production ( even low production ) quantities, I'd look for a used Omec or Dodds single bit machine. I found one for about 2K and it is way faster than a jig. Dave

Blog Entries
    I've used the omnijig for drawers when I has my cabinet shop. The Dobbs was faster but not enough to blow $5k on one.. I can do a set of dovetail drawers for cabinet in one day. . At the time I got $45 a drawer....

Really? Dodds has been around forever making dovetail machines...

Quote Originally Posted by jack duren View Post
    You'll be lucky to find a dodds,etc. Rare to find one around for sale. We sold one 7 years ago and most who called didn't even know what it was. Have only seen one come up since....sounds like you need a PC omnijig. Had the LEIGH and sold it....

Blog Entries
    I think we had a SE-1

SE1 was made for Dodds by Omec. Mine has pneumatic clamps and does four sizes. They don't come up often but with used machines it pays to watch and be ready to pull the trigger quickly if a deal comes up. Dave

Blog Entries
    Se 1 IS pneumatic.

I'm in KC and I never see them. We sold ours 6.5 yrs ago...

With a jig like the porter cable is a variable speed router required/desirable? Or would something like the PORTER-CABLE Fixed Base, 11-Amp (690LR) be a good choice for a router dedicated to the task?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Staehling View Post
    With a jig like the porter cable is a variable speed router required/desirable? Or would something like the PORTER-CABLE Fixed Base, 11-Amp (690LR) be a good choice for a router dedicated to the task?
    Fixed speed router is generally fine, and great if dedicated to the task, but if one is buying a new router, one of the mid-range kits that includes variable speed is a better buy for use beyond just dovetails.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    I've got an old Bosch 1604 that's been dedicated to dovetails around 20 years. Single speed as Jim says is fine...

I have had good experience with the Keller and would recommend it for your situation. I use mine on the router table where I feel the dust collection is much better than using it with the router hand held.

I can't speak to any of the commercial machines others are referencing but I did use the Keller once to do a job consisting of 35 large drawers made out of 12mm Baltic Birch and it performed beautifully.