Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This Made Me Feel a bit Older

Blog Entries

This Made Me Feel a bit Older

Last night we watched an episode of Antiques Roadshow. It was a special edition of different episodes in compiled form.

Every item was from my late teens and early twenties except one from my early teens.

When all of this is put on a program and labeled antique, it makes one feel a bit older.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

There's a museum near me that features a lot of antique farm equipment. I've walked through there and "hmm, I recognize that. Used one even, in my youth".

Our small town was willed a very nice working farm by a maiden schoolteacher with the deed requirement that it be continue to be operated as a farm. Last weekend was the Spring Hill Farm fall festival. There was a display of tractors from various folks in town, all the major brands. Deere, McCormack, Ford, International, etc, etc. They ran from late 1940s to the newest being early 1960s. Growing up in western NY farm country I recognized and remembered every one of them. In fact I had driven one of them starting at about 11 yeas old.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

I now feel like an antique myself.

A couple of months ago I walked up to a door and a nice woman held it open.

I immediately assumed someone elderly was approaching and stepped aside for them.

When I looked around I realized she was holding it open for me.

I guess I really am that grey...........Rod

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    There's a museum near me that features a lot of antique farm equipment. I've walked through there and "hmm, I recognize that. Used one even, in my youth".
    There are many things reminiscent of my youth when walking through museums. In our younger years many of those things were merely old but still quite useable. Out parents journey though the great depression tended to motivate people to get as much use out of something as was possible.

The antiques on this episode of Antiques Roadshow were all brand spanking new in the '60s, '70s & '80s.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Last night we watched an episode of Antiques Roadshow. It was a special edition of different episodes in compiled form.

Every item was from my late teens and early twenties except one from my early teens.

When all of this is put on a program and labeled antique, it makes one feel a bit older.

jtk
    While driving around New England last week I saw two phone booths, both usable. One was on a college campus looked like the pay phone had been replaced by a campus phone.

phone-booth.jpg

One had a genuine phone and a complete phone book and not labeled antique. Made me feel younger. I want one for my farm.

JKJ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    While driving around New England last week I saw two phone booths, both usable. One was on a college campus looked like the pay phone had been replaced by a campus phone.

phone-booth.jpg

One had a genuine phone and a complete phone book and not labeled antique. Made me feel younger. I want one for my farm.

JKJ
    Don't farm folks have cow phones?

Cow Phone.png

jtk

The three story Art Deco high school I attended in 1960s had one phone booth in the second story hall. One of the
    all wood and glass type ,with a comfortable seat. And a phone book with genuine fake leather cover.

High school kids today have to be taught how to use the dial phone in the front office. They know to push the numbers but not to spin the dial each time.
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 10-11-2019 at 9:13 PM.

2 years ago my primary care physician retired and I chose a new one. During my first visit I had to ask "Doc....how old are you?" When he answered, I told him I had two granddaughters older than him. That made me feel old.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Expressions and phrases often make me feel older. I remember the beginning of first grade, the teacher asked us "Did you walk to school or pack your lunch?" Sounds like very bizarre nonsense today, but back then it made perfect sense. Kids who lived close enough to walk to school went home for lunch. Kids who rode the bus, packed a lunch because they didn't go home for lunch. At the time I walked to school, one block. Went home every day for a hot lunch prepared by my mother.

How about the number of people who actually know how to operate a manual choke on a gas engine? My first car had a choke control on the dash board.

Recently saw, in our local pharmacy, a bottle of Wild Root. If you have to ask what it is, your a young pup. They also had Doan's pills and of all things, those hateful little Sen Sens. They still carry Black Jack too.

Blog Entries
    Hair tonic and Brillcream seem to be passé in this century. Now it is Mousse or 'product.'

My family tended to use Vitalis.

jtk

I'm amazed that I got so old in such a short amount of time.

Seeing all the references to the old hair products made me think of Butch Hair Wax that I used as youngster. Unfortunately, there is nothing left on top my head to use it on.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Powell View Post
    Seeing all the references to the old hair products made me think of Butch Hair Wax that I used as youngster. Unfortunately, there is nothing left on top my head to use it on.
    That is why my shopping is for Buff Wax scalp shine.

jtk