Thread: Which glue to use?

Which glue to use?

Thanks to folks on this board, I am now ready to turn a rolling pin with a Celtic Knot. This requires cutting the blank at 60 degrees, inserting contrasting wood and then gluing the pieces together on the angle, which essentially is gluing end grain. Since it is a kitchen item and will see moisture, which glue would be best, Titebond III or the original Gorilla Glue, or something else?

I always trust Gorilla glue for kitchen stuff like cutting boards.... never had a joint fail yet...

I'm a TBIII fan. It's never failed me. I've made several cutting boards currently in-use by family without any issues. Ours cutting board is about 12 years hold now. In very light woods you can sometimes see the glue joint because it dries a little on the brown/gray side. I've only used gorilla glue a few times and didn't care for it. Maybe it's how I used it, but it expanded a bit on the few times I used. So, I lost trust in it.

2013-03-11_20-50-04_299.jpgMD cutting board.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by tom lucas; 10-09-2019 at 6:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe McMahon View Post
    Thanks to folks on this board, I am now ready to turn a rolling pin with a Celtic Knot. This requires cutting the blank at 60 degrees, inserting contrasting wood and then gluing the pieces together on the angle, which essentially is gluing end grain. Since it is a kitchen item and will see moisture, which glue would be best, Titebond III or the original Gorilla Glue, or something else?
    If it were me I would use titebond III or equivalent. I've had joints come apart with polyurethane adhesives before.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Dyas View Post
    If it were me I would use titebond III or equivalent. I've had joints come apart with polyurethane adhesives before.
    Same here, both on the recommendation and past experience.

JKJ

Epoxy is my choice for such things. Unaffected by water and gap filling. When gluing end grain, good idea to liberally soak the mating surfaces (true for any glue, not just epoxy) before joining to make sure the adhesive doesn't soak up the end grain and starve the joint.

Best,

Dave

I've done those Celtic Knots. I use Titebond I. I assume you will apply finish. Never had failures with I. If you are using the metal/o-ring type stoppers, for gluing the stopper to the wood, I use epoxy. Coat the entire bottom of the stopper to seal that grain and joint. If you don't, water will seep in and mold/fungus other undesirables will grow in that joint.

According to Franklin, Titebond II is the best glue for end grain joints. Titebond III is the most water resistance. With the 45 degree cuts for a Celtic Knot I would go with TBII unless you need the water resistance.

Also.. Make sure the grain of your inserts is running as close to possible as the grain in the main body.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please see personal profile for website info.