Thread: GO632Z tool rest suggestion

GO632Z tool rest suggestion

Just finished a cherry bowl. Its the first to make it off the lathe bowl. The other two did not make it...3rd times a charm :-). Pleased with the outcome, but looking for a 1" rest with some sort of a curve...j shaped etc...to reach an inside spot or two on the next bowl. Any suggestions for a reliable brand? Ideally, $75 max. More may be needed for the purchase. Thanks!

2. I like and use the Robust inside bowl rest. For deep forms I like the Robust “J” rest. You would have to either call, or go to turnrobust.com to see what length post you need for a 16” swing lathe. Bestwoodtools.com is another great place to find turning accessories that are quality.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Being that I'm still pretty new to turning I would suggest to do a few more bowls first and work on technique. The inside of a bowl is usually more difficult for me because of the limited room. What I try to do is work on making the lightest of cuts. I will say this, I would replace the stock straight tool rest immediately. The cast one vs the Robust ones with a harden steel bar on them (or another brand) will make it much easier to slide your tool. Swapping it out on my Grizzly made me wish I did it on day one. You might be able to get away with using the straight side of a J rest to avoid buying a second one down the road but I always find when I'm learning that adding extra challenges into the mix isn't the best idea.

Thanks for the information. After looking at my options and the positive feedback on Robust, that will be my route. Take care