Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: finishing Baltic Birch Plywood prior to engraving

Blog Entries
    thanks to all.

I ordered the paper from Amazon.
    My plan is to pre-finish with two coats of shellac so I get sort of a natural look but a more pleasing feel.

If you finish the wood before you engrave you just need to wipe the residue off with a damp cloth . I never mask finished wood waste of time and money
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I agree with Bert that there shouldn't be a need to put down the release paper if you put on a finish first. Most likely that would be a waste of your time.

Besides less effort, I think a wood ornament with a nice subtle bit of finish will look better than raw plywood, but that is just my opinion.

Release paper doesn't always adhere really well to plywood. Get something with a good strong tack and really roll it well to get it to adhere. Start lasering as soon as you are done applying the release paper to minimize the chance of the paper not sticking for long.
    700mm x 500mm Ke Hui KH-7050 Laser
    80W EFR F2
    S&A CW5000 chiller
    Chuck style of rotary attachment

With a finish, it depends on the finish, and how you engrave it. It's not that hard to melt or burn the finish at the edges if you're going deep. My BIL lasers 20-50 cedar boxes every day, and every one gets transfer taped-- for 2 reasons- first he does a 50dpi quick low power run to 'brown' the tape to make sure scrolls & stuff are visually aligned, then he does one slow deep pass. When done he wets the paper with a damp rag, pulls off the outside piece, and uses a 'rowmark squeegee' and some compressed air to remove the small pieces, takes only seconds.

Another neat trick for some wood items, like Xmas ornaments, fight fire with fire-- take a propane torch to it when done and add to the burn
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

5. I have used pledge for 2 years. Spray a lot on before engraving. It catched the smoke and then just wipe off.

if your spraying pledge on raw wood it absorbs into the wood making it very hard to get and othe finish to adhere
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I have used transfer tape, but it's not an option for engraving a big plate full of text.
    So the issue is still exist and sanding is used in most cases (

Blog Entries
    The Shellac turned out to be a very, very bad idea. The laser melted the shellac into a dark sticky mass that never really dried. I had to sand it off. The transfer tape that I ordered worked really well unless there was too much detail. I will muddle through this year. I will go ahead and order the TransferRite in advance for next year.

I wish I could figure out a way to do the ornaments on just one side. then I could do them on clear plexiglass which would look fantastic. The material would cost a bit more but it would save me a lot in aggravation.

If you're only doing a few hundred then I'd sand and use rattle can lacquer. I make lots of birch pins and ornaments, some from BB ply and some solid birch. I use a HVLP or LVLP gun and Sherwin Williams Hi-Bild Pre-cat lacquer, they call it "hand rubbed finish", thinned 5%, no sealer needed, 2 coats gives a nice finish. Use transfer tape before lasering or clean up laser resin with a damp rag.
    Neal Schlee

Machines:
    ULS X2-660 120 watt SuperSpeed
    Multicam Pro 102 Dual Z CNC Router & Multicam 44 Plus Dual Z CNC Router
    Shop Built Custom CNC Machines
    Mutoh VJ 1204 Wide Format Printer
    55" Laminator
    Graphtec 54" Vinyl Cutter
    Sublimation Equipment
    Sand Blasting Equipment
    Various Woodworking Equipment

Software:
    Aspire, Enroute, Flexi Pro 10.5, CorelDraw X6 to name a few!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    The Shellac turned out to be a very, very bad idea. The laser melted the shellac into a dark sticky mass that never really dried. I had to sand it off. The transfer tape that I ordered worked really well unless there was too much detail. I will muddle through this year. I will go ahead and order the TransferRite in advance for next year.

I wish I could figure out a way to do the ornaments on just one side. then I could do them on clear plexiglass which would look fantastic. The material would cost a bit more but it would save me a lot in aggravation.

Acrylic ornaments I paint clear cast on one side the reverse engrave . Sometime I paint the engraved side a color sometimes not depends on the look your after.snowball angel 1.jpgThis is this years Ornament I make for the kids going on the snowball express. crappy picture but you get the idea. Spray paint clear cast acrylic then reverse engrave. I painted the engraved side black to help show the engraving.
    Last edited by Bert Kemp; 11-02-2019 at 1:53 AM.
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

so do them on clear plexiglas anyway- it will depend on what you're engraving, but you can split the image up and engrave half on one side, and half on the other... piece o' cake 3D effect
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle