Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trotec Speedy 300 Random Errors

Trotec Speedy 300 Random Errors

We have two Trotec Speedy 300's. One is about 2 years old and runs flawlessly. The other is only about 4 months old and we continue to receive different errors that interrupt the engraving. Sometimes the errors will occur twice in a day, and sometimes it will go a week without happening. The errors are things like broken connections, z-motor overheating (using the rotary while this happened), etc. In all cases, restarting the machine fixed the issue the machine would engrave like nothing happened. We haven't been able to link any of the errors to legitimate issues. This machine is engraving 10-12 hours a day across 2 shifts. Since restarting the machine is a quick fix, this is more of an annoyance than anything. I wouldn't expect to have to deal with this when you buy a "top of the line" machine. Tech support isn't much help since the errors are random and sporadic. Does this happen to anyone else?

A somewhat unrelated issue, we had the speaker on the back side of the keypad that creates the chime at the end of a job go on our newer machine. Replacing the keypad fixed this problem. We just recently had the second one go. Now I'm working on getting our 3rd keypad. Has anyone else had a similar issue?
    Trotec Speedy 300 80 Watt (2017)
    Trotec Speedy 300 80 Watt (2019)

Are you saving the service files when it's going through an issue?

Since it seems to be so many random things, I'd be looking at the motherboard, as an educated guess.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Are you saving the service files when it's going through an issue?

Since it seems to be so many random things, I'd be looking at the motherboard, as an educated guess.
    Per the tech rep's request, we did create one after one of our more recent errors. We had sent this file to them. He recognized that there were random errors, but has not offered a solution at this point. That case is still ongoing.

I'm usually of the 'change the USB cable' opinion, connection cables in general over the years have been the root of over 90% of the problems I've had with computer controlled machines..

However-- your Z-motor overheating error-- THAT, I'm fairly certain (disclaimer ) is strictly a motherboard/controller induced error. I'd still change the USB cable just because, but I don't think that'll fix the problem. Since you're getting random errors, and likely from the machines main brain, Occam's Razor leads me to believe it could be as simple as a bad ground...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    I'm usually of the 'change the USB cable' opinion, connection cables in general over the years have been the root of over 90% of the problems I've had with computer controlled machines..

However-- your Z-motor overheating error-- THAT, I'm fairly certain (disclaimer ) is strictly a motherboard/controller induced error. I'd still change the USB cable just because, but I don't think that'll fix the problem. Since you're getting random errors, and likely from the machines main brain, Occam's Razor leads me to believe it could be as simple as a bad ground...
    Thanks for the tip Kev. I hadn't given much thought to the cables themselves. It's worth it to me to go ahead and replace it since it's cheap enough. I'll also try to push the Trotec tech in the motherboard direction since you and Steve both brought that up. I at least want him to consider it as a possible source of the errors.

Good luck Grant. I went through an issue recently with tech support. I've never been talked down that much in my life. I was told there was absolutely nothing wrong with my machine. NOTHING. It would stop and alarm out when vector cutting every once in a while. X-Axis error. They did a remote log in, told me the problem was my computer settings, went in and changed all my power settings, talked to me like I was an idiot and didn't know how lasers and computers worked. I asked how a disk drive sleep time of 30 minutes would make the machine error out after running for 3 minutes. Told me I had no idea what I was talking about. Made the changes, ran it again, it alarmed out. Told me it was my file. Told me my Job Control and firmware needed to be updated. Did that. Still alarmed out. Told me of course it did, I was dragging an old file from the Queue and I couldn't do that, I needed to send it again. Sent it again. Errored out again. "Well, looks like your X_Axis motor and/or boards need to be replaced".

Gee thanks. Thanks for talking to me like I was stupid for the better part of the day, only to have you admit that everything I told you wasn't the issue, wasn't the issue. They sent me the motor and two boards, no instructions, no nothing, and closed the support ticket out. They have no idea if I figured it out myself and installed it, if it worked, or if I'm still having problems.

I wish they'd randomly listen to the service calls because if the management team ever heard the way some people are being talked to, I suspect they'd not be working there much longer.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

good bet you was speekin too a calledge graduut in layzer cyunce. I wonder if he's engraved his own nameplate yet?

some days customer service has its moments...
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Carson View Post
    We have two Trotec Speedy 300's. One is about 2 years old and runs flawlessly. The other is only about 4 months old and we continue to receive different errors that interrupt the engraving. Sometimes the errors will occur twice in a day, and sometimes it will go a week without happening. The errors are things like broken connections, z-motor overheating (using the rotary while this happened), etc. In all cases, restarting the machine fixed the issue the machine would engrave like nothing happened. We haven't been able to link any of the errors to legitimate issues. This machine is engraving 10-12 hours a day across 2 shifts. Since restarting the machine is a quick fix, this is more of an annoyance than anything. I wouldn't expect to have to deal with this when you buy a "top of the line" machine. Tech support isn't much help since the errors are random and sporadic. Does this happen to anyone else?

A somewhat unrelated issue, we had the speaker on the back side of the keypad that creates the chime at the end of a job go on our newer machine. Replacing the keypad fixed this problem. We just recently had the second one go. Now I'm working on getting our 3rd keypad. Has anyone else had a similar issue?

Hi Grant,

Are you running the latest firmware? Lost connection error, a quick solution despite the error instead of restarting the machine unplug the usb from the pc and plug it back in. There is also a setting in your device manager on your USB controller where you need to switch it to always powered on. Sometimes this gets turned off with windows updates for some reason.

Your z-overheating may be from a over overweight object, what are you engraving?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Good luck Grant. I went through an issue recently with tech support. I've never been talked down that much in my life. I was told there was absolutely nothing wrong with my machine. NOTHING. It would stop and alarm out when vector cutting every once in a while. X-Axis error. They did a remote log in, told me the problem was my computer settings, went in and changed all my power settings, talked to me like I was an idiot and didn't know how lasers and computers worked. I asked how a disk drive sleep time of 30 minutes would make the machine error out after running for 3 minutes. Told me I had no idea what I was talking about. Made the changes, ran it again, it alarmed out. Told me it was my file. Told me my Job Control and firmware needed to be updated. Did that. Still alarmed out. Told me of course it did, I was dragging an old file from the Queue and I couldn't do that, I needed to send it again. Sent it again. Errored out again. "Well, looks like your X_Axis motor and/or boards need to be replaced".

Gee thanks. Thanks for talking to me like I was stupid for the better part of the day, only to have you admit that everything I told you wasn't the issue, wasn't the issue. They sent me the motor and two boards, no instructions, no nothing, and closed the support ticket out. They have no idea if I figured it out myself and installed it, if it worked, or if I'm still having problems.

I wish they'd randomly listen to the service calls because if the management team ever heard the way some people are being talked to, I suspect they'd not be working there much longer.

Noted, I'll look into this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Cicala View Post
    Hi Grant,

Are you running the latest firmware? Lost connection error, a quick solution despite the error instead of restarting the machine unplug the usb from the pc and plug it back in. There is also a setting in your device manager on your USB controller where you need to switch it to always powered on. Sometimes this gets turned off with windows updates for some reason.

Your z-overheating may be from a over overweight object, what are you engraving?
    I believe we are running the latest version of firmware unless a new version came out within the last month or so. We had updated it per the request of a tech rep for a separate issue we were having. I will check for the latest firmware version the next time I get to our operations facility.

I have not looked into the USB settings yet. I will check this as well.

For the overheating z-motor, we were using the rotary device doing a bunch of stainless tumblers I believe. We were definitely using the rotary, I'm just not 100% on the actual product. The table z-motor would not have been operating during this period, which is why it seemed completely random. The only thing I could think of is if the laser recognizes the rotary device as the z-motor when it is plugged in.

For the overheating z-motor, we were using the rotary device doing a bunch of stainless tumblers I believe. We were definitely using the rotary, I'm just not 100% on the actual product. The table z-motor would not have been operating during this period, which is why it seemed completely random. The only thing I could think of is if the laser recognizes the rotary device as the z-motor when it is plugged in.
    Correct on the Z-motor, it only operates during focus maneuvers so it's out of the loop while engraving. It COULD burn itself up just sitting there, breaking the feedback loop to the controller, that's how it throws an error, but once burnt up they stay burnt up.

The rotary in use is the Y axis...
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

Are you using auto focus?
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    Are you using auto focus?
    No Mike, we are not using auto focus.

I actually had a call with a tech today. After doing the usual firmware update, the issue was not corrected. He is sending a new I/O board and keypad. His theory is that a faulty I/O board keeps frying the speaker on the back of the keypad. The faulty I/O board could also explain some of the random errors we were receiving too. It should be in early next week, so we'll see how that goes.

This may sound like an off-the-wall question, but are both of your cabinet lights working?

There were several people I know that had otherwise un-solveable problems and it turned out to be the light circuit needed both lights otherwise it caused problems elsewhere. Pretty sure it was on S-400's but you never know if it might apply to your S-300 as well.

No Mike, we are not using auto focus.

I actually had a call with a tech today. After doing the usual firmware update, the issue was not corrected. He is sending a new I/O board and keypad. His theory is that a faulty I/O board keeps frying the speaker on the back of the keypad. The faulty I/O board could also explain some of the random errors we were receiving too. It should be in early next week, so we'll see how that goes.

I believe the lights are used as a sink to dump the back emf from the motors so could cause all sorts of spike issues if they have blown.
    Trotec Speedy 300 50W
    Gantry CNC Router/Engraver
    Various softwares
    Always keen to try something new

Please don't steal - the government hates competition