Thread: unexpected issue with Lenox tri master

unexpected issue with Lenox tri master

I've used a Lenox Tri Master band saw blades before and found it to be one of the smoothest cuts I've experienced. Tremendous for the thin veneers I cut. Well, eventually my last blade became dull and I decided to purchase another. The first blade latested so long I forgot who I purchased it from so an internet search found me at "Bandsawbladesdirect".com. It took a week between the order date and the shipping date.

Eager to get back to resawing for a job in the queue I installed the blade, adjusted the bearings and off I went. Pushing my plank of walnut through seemed laborious and somewhat jerky. The cut was as in the attached photo. RUFF! I was in disbelief and at first thought that I had some super hard walnut that just would not cut. So I grabbed a piece of siberian elm, same result.

I decided to inspect each individual blade tooth and in doing so found three that had not been ground properly and in fact were sticking out wider than the rest. In the photos you can see the ones I marked. Haven't ever seen that in my 45 + years of woodworking. I'll connect with Bandsawbladesdirect tomorrow and hope for the best.

For those of you reading this and have used the Tri Master blade, where do you purchase them from ?

Cheers,

Kent

IMG_0263 (600 x 450).jpgIMG_0266 (450 x 600).jpg

I've had nothing but perfect blades, with perfect welds from them. Something probably happened to that band before it was welded, and not necessarily there. I've never had to contact them for any reason, but I would expect they would replace it.

Yes, I would suspect the blades are sent to bandsawbladesdirect in rolls to be cut to length and welded by them.

That almost looks like that section was skipped in the grinding process at Lenox. Some of the carbide is visibly wider on some teeth than on the rest.

Yes, that is exactly what happened. Odd that the three teeth were not all together.....Like maybe someone sneezed.....

Same as Tom; nothing but great service and no problems from Bandsawbladesdirect. Hard to say where those teeth got damaged along the way, but I'd call BSBD and discuss what's going on with your blade.

John

I get mine from a local bandsaw shop who makes up all Lenox blades EXCEPT the carbide which he orders from Lenox, but for less than if I order them myself. I suspect he doesn't want to buy the blade stock in bulk for the carbide blades. The blades have been great.

I did have a problem with one that broke at the weld but the shop rewelded it and it's fine.

Your blade - someone messed up badly. I hope you send them the photo and measurements of the teeth and ask them to send another blade and check it first. You could probably fix it yourself with a small diamond grinding disk but you shouldn't have to.

JKJ

JKJ

Update: Contacted Bandsawbladesdirect this morning. A new blade is being made for me and will go out today. The'll include a UPS label so I can send the bad blade back so they can get credit from Lenox. I was told the blade stock comes from Lenox with its protective plastic cover over the teeth so they typically don't inspect every tooth however they will examine mine before its shipped.
    Great customer service !

Thanks for the update Kent. I have used Bsawdir before and intended to use them again. Nice to hear they are taking care of a problem in a quick and smooth fashion. Glad it is working out despite the initial hiccup.
    David

Blog Entries
    After trying multiple sources I now use CT Saw who has Lenox do the welding for those blades.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I thought that would be the way it worked out. I feel certain that you will be pleased with the new blade.

Blog Entries
    I use spectrum. Fast turnaround, low prices, good welds.