Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: phone apps for shop use

Apps I use in the shop:

Spotify
    PCalc
    Overcast
    Audible
    Apple TV remote

As a carpenter I have the " Construction master" calculator app on my phone. Used to buy the calculators and broke,stepped on ,dropped to many. The app was cheaper than a new calculator and I always have it with me. I use it in the shop quite a bit,mostly adding imperial dimensions.

Same for me Mike, Construction Master is my most used app. Quite a while ago I tried several woodworking apps but found them mostly useless.

I use on occasion the following: Golden Ratio Calculator, Handyman Calculator, Metrics Conversion, TimeSheet, Time Recording, Woodworking Utilities
    They all have something that I have used.....they also have a lot more that I have never used.

Jim

I guess that I should also add to my previous response that because I have two computers "in" my shop, I don't really need to depend upon my phone for much utility other than, well...phone calls, texts and taking photos most of the time. But that's not the norm for most shops...yet.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I've read other posts here in SMC about apps to measure light and sound, which sounds handy for shop lighting and sound mitigation.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Rich, you already have it!

Look up "powerline network extender". I have one from Netgear, and it works as advertised. What it does is use the powerlines in your home as a relay. One advert states, "Like a WiFi booster, a Powerline adapter is directly connected to a router via an Ethernet cable. The adapter is then plugged into a power socket, allowing network data to travel via the electrical system into a receiving adapter in another location".

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Thanks for the info. I will check it out. I have an intercom that works similar.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author