Thread: How to turn a Celtic Knot?

How to turn a Celtic Knot?

I want to make a rolling pin for Christmas for my daughters. I saw a youtube where a fellow added a Celtic Knot. He was not very specific in how he cut the blank, what angles and where and how many cuts to make. When he turned the cylinder round, it was quite nice!

Anyone have instructions for the cuts and angles?

I have some really nice Turkish walnut that I plan on using for the handles. Because of this I do not want the pivot shaft to show on the handle ends. I considered using a wooden shaft, with the handles glued on. Then I wondered if wood would last and not gum up with flour?? Probably a 3/8 metal rod, epoxied into the handles?

Not an expert but I sometimes make Celtic knots in my turkey call strikers. My method may not work for a large rolling pin but thought I would share. I start with a .75x.75 inch blank and cut at a 35-45 degree angle on my band saw(changing the angle will alter the knot shape/length) using a stop to make sure the cuts are at the same location. I cut almost thru the blank as opposed to a total cut. I fold a piece of colored construction paper and place in the slot, add thin super glue to seal. Repeat the process for each side. When you turn the blank, the Celtic knot will appear. May need to add additional super glue as you turn if there is any unsealed paper exposed during the turning. Again, this works great and very quick for pens and other small turnings but not sure for your larger project. For your project you may need to make a larger space than the kerf on a band saw blade and fill the slot with veneer. Hope this helps
    Last edited by Glen Cowan; 10-08-2019 at 2:19 PM.

Just saw this...may be helpful:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMSyKPXTxX4

biggest thing i have found is the pieces of wood used to insert into the blank need to be the same thickness as your cut. If they are not your alignment will be off because you are crossing over pieces with your cuts. Full kerf saw blades are 1/8" wide.

Here is the jig I made. The blank sits at a 13 degree angle (more or less). I start with a blank 3" x 3" x 24" long. I number each side of the blank, 1 thru 4. The first cut is made with the left side of the blank against the jig. Before I make the second cut, I insert a 1/4" spacer between the blank and the jig. This shifts the blank to the right.

I learned to make these from a Lumberjocks tutorial. Not sure if it is still there.

Good luck
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm planning on trying to do the same thing but with a bowl. My plan is to make a jig for the band saw to make the cuts. I have a 1 1/4" bolt that I'm going to use so I can hold the bowl with my chuck. Like most things as of late I haven't had the time yet (haven't had the time to even turn the lathe on in several months now).

Thanks to all who responded. I am going to incorporate some of these ideas and give it a whirl!

Something I learned the hard way. Just saw this thread, hope I'm posting before you cut. The blank must be SQUARE when you cut the angles for the knot. If it's not square, the knot will be off centered. It may be mentioned in the video, but I thought eh, close enough, a little rectangular... Nope, you will see the off center if the blank is not square.

No I haven't turned it yet. Next week sometime. THANK YOU. I will follow your advice.