Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Table Saw Questions

East Tennessee gazing at the Great Smoky Mountains
    I would like to thank all for their responses, comments, and suggestions. The kitchen cabinet project will take a good table saw and a powerful router with a solid table. In my naivete', I thought I could combine the two with the Griz G1023RLWX. But, it is not an ideal router set-up for many reasons; two being it does not have a fence and no miter slot. Perhaps a separate router table is in order. Mike is spot-on with taking measurements against a reference. A lift would be nice for single-bit applications, but I will be doing panels using multiple bits anyway.

Maybe the Griz will make an OK saw, or perhaps I will find a nice cabinet saw on CL. But is it clear to me that the router set-up is as important and deserves equal footing as the TS.

Thanks again for all the feedback. My head is a bit clearer on a TS and router needs, but is now quickly becoming fogged with track saws (and router attachments). I know I am all over the place here, but I have always spent a boat-load of money starting with the wrong stuff - learning by the School of Hard Knocks. Its time I changed schools...

Thanks again! And, sorr, but will be making future posts regarding new"stuff".

John

John

I have no dog in this fight. I do not own, nor have ever used a Grizzly product, but in the last decade+, the amount of negative comments I have heard about the Grizzly 1023 series table saws could virtually be counted. It has a very, very, good reputation in all the online forums I drop in and out of.

About the router setup and fence;
    Investigate and research the use of a "back fence" to run your rails and stiles. This negates the need for a true router fence system. Combine this with a coping sled that references to a home made fence and you have zero use for a miter slot to perform the cope cuts. Look at Infinity's coping sled, and use it as a template to fabricate your own coping sled.
    You absolutely do not need a miter slot to cope. Don't let that feature hold you back.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    John

I have no dog in this fight. I do not own, nor have ever used a Grizzly product, but in the last decade+, the amount of negative comments I have heard about the Grizzly 1023 series table saws could virtually be counted. It has a very, very, good reputation in all the online forums I drop in and out of.

About the router setup and fence;
    Investigate and research the use of a "back fence" to run your rails and stiles. This negates the need for a true router fence system. Combine this with a coping sled that references to a home made fence and you have zero use for a miter slot to perform the cope cuts. Look at Infinity's coping sled, and use it as a template to fabricate your own coping sled.
    You absolutely do not need a miter slot to cope. Don't let that feature hold you back.
    I own and use the Grizzly 1023 RLWX. It is a great saw. Lot of power and very precise. I don't use the router feature, I bought this model because it was only an additional $75 or so for the heavy cast iron wing. Much better than the other option of a light weight pressed wood or sheet metal wing. I agree that a separate router table is a better choice.
    David

Is it accurate as well? How about repeatable? Precision won't matter unless it is accurate as well...

Quote Originally Posted by David Buchhauser View Post
    I own and use the Grizzly 1023 RLWX. It is a great saw. Lot of power and very precise. I don't use the router feature, I bought this model because it was only an additional $75 or so for the heavy cast iron wing. Much better than the other option of a light weight pressed wood or sheet metal wing. I agree that a separate router table is a better choice.
    David

Blog Entries
    I had a 1023 from the early 80s and it did everything i wanted. Short of blade runout there isn't much precision or accurately that is inherent to a table saw. Most of it is external or easily adjustable (miter slot to blade, fence to miter slot) beyond that its how well can you see the cursor on the fence..

Quote Originally Posted by John McGovern View Post
    Hi All,

1) Cabinet or Hybrid? If Hybrid, I don't want to have to jack-around with trunnions all the time.
    Cabinet saw for sure
    2) 52" rails and wing?
    My last saw I had 52". I went down to 36" on my new saw, and am very happy I did that.
    3) If the answer to #2 is yes, some saws come with long rails, but no wing insert - what to do?
    4) Is a router wing worth having, and is there a generic that fits most saws, or are they saw-specific?
    I put on a cast iron router wing on my last saw. On this one I built a router table on a movable cart that lives on the right side of the saw. I like that better.
    5) I have 220V, so should I skip the 2HP models and go right to 3HP? (Probably a stupid question...)
    I went for the 5HP, ICS, so perhaps overkill, but I would go to 3HP. I'm extremely happy with the extra power.
    6) Finally, what are your favorite models? New and used are both acceptable. So much has changed and my head is whirling like the blade on the falling Craftsman... Saw Stop will not be an option; I will rely on my discipline to keep all Ten.
    I have only owned SawStops, so can't answer that. Clearly there have been many experts that have already answered that.

I appreciate all advice, suggestions, and comments.

Thanks,
    John
    I hope this helps, though I'm late to the party and you have many good suggestions already made.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Thank you to all that responded.

I finally made a decision as to saw and router options, opting for a saw with a router extension wing' as mentioned the Griz G1023RLWX. https://www.grizzly.com/products/Gri...-Saw/G1023RLWX.

For those who are intrepid and can put up with me once more, I created a new post as to a good choice of router for this saw (Dedicated Table Router) . Perhaps I won't bug you after this...

THANKS to all!

John

Thanks John!! Please keep us posted with your impressions of your new table saw.
    David

I happen to have a Delta Cabinet Saw, with HTC mobile base and outfeed table and a built in router table on the left side. Love it. That said, there is very little difference between any of the high end cabinet saws, Delta, Powermatic, etc at that high level. I would shop used on craigslist
    Regards,

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by David Buchhauser View Post
    Thanks John!! Please keep us posted with your impressions of your new table saw.
    David
    Hi David,

I am having logistics trouble with Grizzly (not their fault). As you have experienced their protocol, I thought I would reach-out to you in a PM with a couple questions related to this matter. I don't know what happened to my message, for it does not appear in my Sent Items. Did you get it? Would you prefer I ask within this thread?

Thanks,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by John McGovern View Post
    Hi David,

I am having logistics trouble with Grizzly (not their fault). As you have experienced their protocol, I thought I would reach-out to you in a PM with a couple questions related to this matter. I don't know what happened to my message, for it does not appear in my Sent Items. Did you get it? Would you prefer I ask within this thread?

Thanks,
    John
    Hi John,
    I received your PM and have replied to you with an email.
    Thanks,
    David