Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Threads on Vicmarc chucks

Threads on Vicmarc chucks

Has anyone out there with Vicmarc chucks had any problems with the 1 1/4 x 8 threads? I have a Robust American Beauty and it seems like my Vicmarc chucks don't thread easily. One was so bad I ruined the male spindle threads which required factory replacement I also have a Nova G3 and a Grizzly chuck and have had no problems with the threads on those.

While I was in a class at Arrowmont in July one of the Robust AB has the same issue with a Vicmarc chuck.We like to never got it off. I’ve had no problems with the two older Vicmarcs on my AB.

I had the same problem with my Robust Liberty. It seems that Robust machines the spindle threads to very close tolerances. I used a 1 1/4 x 8 tap and chased the threads on my chucks(Oneway Talons). Also on faceplates and other odds and ends. Everything threads on nicely now.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bradshaw View Post
    I had the same problem with my Robust Liberty. It seems that Robust machines the spindle threads to very close tolerances. I used a 1 1/4 x 8 tap and chased the threads on my chucks(Oneway Talons). Also on faceplates and other odds and ends. Everything threads on nicely now.
    Same thing for me and my Talon/AB. I now have two 1-1.4X8 taps. One available if someone would like to make a donation to retirement fund. I had to chase the spindle threads and so I have a matching thread die.

I have 6 or so Vicmarc chucks, and never had any problems getting them on my AB or Liberty. Even have one of the old Vics that opens and closes in the 'other' direction. Also have one that is 6 months old.

robo hippy

I have not experienced any issues with my AB with my Vicmarc chuck (VM 120, direct thread)

Eugene: I'm interested in donating to your retirement fund. How much?

1&1/4" x 8" threads are the "almost" standard thread on wood lathe's these days, but not universal in the machining world. There are other thread shapes out there. I have seen this problem years ago and was solved by figureing out the correct thread shape on the pieces involved. If it required a thread chaser this was probably the case. one of several reasons Nova makes inserts.

Thanks to all who responded. I ordered a tap from McMaster Carr today and will run it through all my Vicmarc chucks.

I think the key is to be very careful not to cross thread the chuck when trying to screw it on. If it feels sort of rough when installing/ removing it then either use a tap on the chuck and anything else (like a face plate) and a die or very thin file to make sure the spindle.

The steel in spindles and chucks is extremely tough and hard steel. I doubt if you can cross thread one without super effort and tools--and it would show.

I have three Vicmarc chucks and they thread beautifully on my Robust AB. It should go without saying that you need to have the chuck straight and not cocked off to the side. It is also a lot easier if you turn the handwheel to screw the chuck on rather than turning the chuck.

The thing that I really dislike is the antiquated LH/RH cross threads that Oneway insists on using on their 1¼ X 8 inserts. Those things just love to go on crooked given even the slightest bit of encouragement.
    Bill

Brent English, Robust president, gave a presentation on lathe maintenance to our woodturning club this spring. He made some comments about maintaining the spindle thread and talked about Vicmark chucks. He stated that he had more complaints about Vickmark chucks then any other brand, even though they were excellent chucks. After looking into the issue they bought all of the well known accessories and chucks to determine how to adjust their thread form to fit. He said the problem was that they strictly followed the standard and a lot of companies, including Vicmark, did not. The different results may be due to manufacturing date of the lathe. If he stated when the change was made, I do not remember it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoffman View Post
    Eugene: I'm interested in donating to your retirement fund. How much?
    Tom, sorry for the delay in responding. I was on a road trip to the south-left coast. PM'd you before I saw you second post. Brent at Robust suggested the McMaster Carr tap and die that I used.

I can confirm that Vicmarc's newer 1-1/4" chuck adapters are problematic, I had the same issue on my AB. The 6 or so other 1-1/4" female accessories I have have always worked just fine on my lathe.

Here's a message I sent to Vicmarc and their response:

Hello!

I'm writing to let you know about a thread sizing problem I've experienced with three VM100 1-1/4" chuck inserts. My lathe is a Robust American Beauty.

The internal 1-1/4" x 8TPI threads were far too tight to thread onto my lathe's spindle. Two of the inserts would only thread on about one turn before grinding to a halt. The third insert was better, able to be threaded on about halfway before stopping. I was able to correct the threading on the third adapter with a thread tap, now it hand-threads on just fine.

I hope you find this message useful. My suppliers (Packard and Craft Supplies) were helpful in dealing with this problem but it was still a frustrating experience.

Regards,
    David Peters
    Hi David,

All of our threads are tested with CE approved gauges, however there may be slight tolerance differences.
    Many thanks,
    I griped about this to Brent and he echoed the comment about Vicmarc tolerances being a bit wacky.