Thread: Storage Conundrum

Storage Conundrum

It is a maxim that the more you engineer your storage solution the less it holds. There are exceptions but some examples are;

Before and after pictures of a closet system, before: 40 pairs of shoes jumbled in a box, after: 12 pairs of shoes neatly in the rack.

Coin collection in neat folders use 1 cubic foot, or tossed into a quart jar only half full

50 router bits in a wooden block, 4" x 3" x 12" or tossed in a soup can.

Obviously organization is needed for these but it takes up space.

LOL I hear you and was dealing with that just this week after making some changes to my shop. I "like" to be organized because I'm somewhat anal, but have come to realize that there are a few battles that are hard to reach my personal preference. In my shop, that include my short stock (I'm a pack rat) and some other things. To your specific point, I started to create drawer inserts with my CNC for a lot of tools, but quickly realized that the more I organized like that, the less I could actually fit in the available space. So I had to keep it to only those things that are best served by "having their places" and gang other stuff up more than I would prefer. Nature of the beast...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    Before and after pictures of a closet system, before: 40 pairs of shoes jumbled in a box, after: 12 pairs of shoes neatly in the rack.
    Once you get that down to the 4 pairs of shoes anybody really needs, storage will be even more efficient

I fall victim to the volume issue. It is not that I am completely unorganized, it is that I try to pack more and more in the shop.

Admitted lumber hoarder. Just this weekend my son was helping me move some around overhead and I actually stated that I should sell some just to make room. I have more lumber than I can ever use on projects.

Chisels. I bet there are less than 5 that I have touched in the last year (yet I have a good 20 or more). I considered vacuum forming a tray for them but as you say, they then didn't fit in the space allotted.

Hand planes, ditto. These things are a lot like shoes...

Then I have a CL issue as well where I pick up equipment if I believe it to be a great deal. Sometimes I resell, but more often I hoard that as well for that 'someday' project

I am certain if I let go of some things my shop would be more ore pleasurable to work in.

But, I might 'need' that stuff some day....

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beckett View Post
    I fall victim to the volume issue. It is not that I am completely unorganized, it is that I try to pack more and more in the shop.

Admitted lumber hoarder. Just this weekend my son was helping me move some around overhead and I actually stated that I should sell some just to make room. I have more lumber than I can ever use on projects.

Hand planes, ditto. These things are a lot like shoes...
    Am trying harder to be a lumber hoarder, just getting started in this so it is a challenge. One issue with space I have is should I keep wood stickered when it has been dry for 15 years? I would save a lot of space if I just stacked it without stickers.

If you wants to get rid of some of those planes, let me know...

I did the unthinkable yesterday...threw out some of my "wood hoard". I may do that again today. Now, I'm talking about short-shorts, not good lumber, but still...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

As a follower of the ‘there is no short too short’ philosophy it breaks my heart to hear of throwing away lumber. Which explains why I have multiple boxes of ‘I’ll use them someday’. Likewise have enough planes to use a different one every day of the month and don’t even mention chisels.

It is hard!

One trick I do is ask my kids to help sort the shorts. A small piece of exotic figured wood.... no problem, into the fire pit pile!! smh... But I will say the pile is smaller when they do it.

I hear of all of you lumber hoarders and it makes me laugh. Get an OWB and lumber hoarding will no longer be an issue, after every project during the winter the off cuts go into the burner to heat the shop. No more guilty feeling also having a sawmill and kiln help since I can just make more

You know, in a "kinda sorta" similar situation, that's how compression algorithms work in your computer. When you zip a file, it takes up less space, but you can't use it directly- you have to unzip it first. Sort of like router bits in a jar- you can't just grab the one you want, you have do dump them out to find it first, then put them all back.

Storing things in your computer is vaguely analogous to packing your shop in a Uhaul. You can probably fit most of your shop in a tiny storage container, but you can't use it while it's packed that way.

Blog Entries
    Actually organization doesn't have to take more space. If it's compressed right you can get more space . Getting rid of things you know will never need also helps..

In most shops people start with spreading out and 20 years later wonder why they can't work. I'm one of them....

I just had to redo a clamp rack to house clamps that were taking too much room.
    I have to build another rack out of the way to house more clamps
    I'm in the middle of building a pneumatic, screw gun .staple/nail gun rack to get these out off drawers and out of the way and i need it only 4' long..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jack duren; 10-10-2019 at 2:03 PM.

Blog Entries
    If it's less than 2 ft it better have a plan or it's gone.

I got stacks like this only bigger all over the shop...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jack duren; 10-10-2019 at 2:16 PM.

I used to save scraps, then got a bandmill, and a wood furnace, and no more problem. Do save the better looking scraps thinking it would make a nice raised panel, but a neighbor asked me for scraps, and I put a good bunch in his truck and made a little space. Also, stickers are a good use for narrow strips.

Wondering around a tool department, I start reaching for a tool.

WIFE - Don't you already have two of those?
    ME - Not a blue one!