Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bandsaw outside?

1. I think the acceptability of this exposure will depend on the attitude and background of the user. I read about how folks fuss over their cast iron and wax, protect, polish it and are upset if it doesn't have that light shiny new look. I read about how it is ruined if there is a little humidity in the air and so on. Then I remember all the many shops I worked in over the years where the cast iron got almost no care despite being in a humid climate on the coast. Some of the shops were pretty wet (like the garage I mentioned before). I don't remember it being a big deal in any of those shops.

The cast iron in all those shops had what I considered a lovely patina. I am guessing that maybe by some folks standards it was ruined.

My current shop is climate controlled and most of the machines are either newish or someone took abrasives to the cast iron tables before I purchased them. Funny thing... I actually miss that dark patina. I am not going to intentionally let it rust on anything, but I won't mind one bit when it ultimately turns dark.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Sommers View Post
    I'm thinking it might take me a while to save up for a nice bandsaw. I watched Peter Sellers video about him bringing in a bandsaw! I couldn't believe it but he really sold me on it because He even uses it for ripping, crosscutting and resawing.
    I'll set mine up for straight cuts and use a handheld jigsaw for the really curvy stuff if I need it - I can touch that up with spokeshaves, shinto rasp and other files, etc.

I'll probably get the Rikon 10" that's under $500 but I'd really like to get the Rikon 14" but with a price of over $1200 - a bit steep for my tastes.
    If I can sell all my jewelry tools, then I'll be able to afford it. In the mean time it's going to be one piece at a time until I can get everything.
    I have a large 18" bandsaw. And a Rikon 10" benchtop I got not long ago (306 I think the model). The smaller bandsaw gets used as much as the larger does.

I cannot imagine resawing everything by hand.

The good news about bandsaws is they are relatively small footprint, so do not take up a lot of space. Moving it around is no problem. Do note that a smaller saw on a stand, takes up just as much space as a larger saw that is floor standing.

The Rikon sits on the end of bench for me, with tool boxes underneath. I think you will be able to do a lot with that little saw and I would take that any day over having to rip boards by hand.

In my area used 14" cast iron saws are quite cheap (cheaper than the Rikon new), which might be a consideration for you (saw a small INCA on CL yesterday for $175 which is too good to be true for you, but bargains are out there if patient). Having said that I sold my jet 14" cast iron saw when I bought the Rikon, and do not regret it.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beckett View Post
    I have a large 18" bandsaw. And a Rikon 10" benchtop I got not long ago (306 I think the model). The smaller bandsaw gets used as much as the larger does.

I cannot imagine resawing everything by hand.

The good news about bandsaws is they are relatively small footprint, so do not take up a lot of space. Moving it around is no problem. Do note that a smaller saw on a stand, takes up just as much space as a larger saw that is floor standing.

The Rikon sits on the end of bench for me, with tool boxes underneath. I think you will be able to do a lot with that little saw and I would take that any day over having to rip boards by hand.

In my area used 14" cast iron saws are quite cheap (cheaper than the Rikon new), which might be a consideration for you (saw a small INCA on CL yesterday for $175 which is too good to be true for you, but bargains are out there if patient). Having said that I sold my jet 14" cast iron saw when I bought the Rikon, and do not regret it.
    You mentioned the Rikon 10" and the 14" cast iron models. Those are the two options that sound like likely options for the OP to me. Either squeeze a the Rikon inside somewhere on the bench or find a deal on a used Delta, Rockwell, Jet, or similar and keep it outdoors but under cover or in a shed and wheel it out for use. You can probably find a 14" for pretty cheap if you are patient. There are thousands of them out there, some sitting unused, some being replaced with larger saws, some being upgraded. It shouldn't be too hard to find something in the $300 +/- range in most parts of the country if you aren't in a big rush.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Staehling View Post
    I think the acceptability of this exposure will depend on the attitude and background of the user. I read about how folks fuss over their cast iron and wax, protect, polish it and are upset if it doesn't have that light shiny new look. I read about how it is ruined if there is a little humidity in the air and so on. Then I remember all the many shops I worked in over the years where the cast iron got almost no care despite being in a humid climate on the coast. Some of the shops were pretty wet (like the garage I mentioned before). I don't remember it being a big deal in any of those shops.

The cast iron in all those shops had what I considered a lovely patina. I am guessing that maybe by some folks standards it was ruined.

My current shop is climate controlled and most of the machines are either newish or someone took abrasives to the cast iron tables before I purchased them. Funny thing... I actually miss that dark patina. I am not going to intentionally let it rust on anything, but I won't mind one bit when it ultimately turns dark.
    Rust is red, not dark. I like patina too, and my older tools have it. Rust is entirely different from patina. It is the fruit of negligence and neglect.

Blog Entries
    My band saw sits on a mobile base and stays in a corner of my garage shop.

https://www.google.com/search?q=band...hrome&ie=UTF-8