Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bandsaw outside?

My metal supplier has a bandsaw in a open shack with roller racks into both sides it is pretty open to the weather. Of course it is only for 90 degree cuts and it uses flood coolant so no rust. It is coated wih oil everywhere.
    Bil lD.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I'm sure there are a lot of Wood Mizers and like machines that do not get parked in controlled environments every night. A tarp or a "pop up" with walls may be a storage idea when not in use(?). Given that, you would want it mobile anyway so a mobile base that isolates it would be in your favor.
    Those machines were designed to live outside...unlike most general woodworking tools.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Millersburg (Holmes County - Amish Country) Ohio
    I'm thinking it might take me a while to save up for a nice bandsaw. I watched Peter Sellers video about him bringing in a bandsaw! I couldn't believe it but he really sold me on it because He even uses it for ripping, crosscutting and resawing.
    I'll set mine up for straight cuts and use a handheld jigsaw for the really curvy stuff if I need it - I can touch that up with spokeshaves, shinto rasp and other files, etc.

I'll probably get the Rikon 10" that's under $500 but I'd really like to get the Rikon 14" but with a price of over $1200 - a bit steep for my tastes.
    If I can sell all my jewelry tools, then I'll be able to afford it. In the mean time it's going to be one piece at a time until I can get everything.

Don't know how the motor would hold up, blade can be removed, and guides and that sprayed.
    It might be worth looking into seeing if you can find a saw that has a TIN coating on the table like on the DEFT tablesaws.
    It might also be worth looking to see if they make granite tables on some machines, since granite wheels are being produced for bandsaws.

Or maybe worth looking for a broken saw or one with missing parts and make your own table from something resilient.
    That might be the most sensible option.
    Tom

Look for a used machine in good condition.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

You might try looking for a meat saw. They are usually stainless steel. I came across several for a good price when looking for a used band saw. The downside is that the table is a thick sheet metal, not cast so there's no miter gauge slot. Also attaching a fence would be more difficult (and the magnetic ones will not work). It may not be the best saw for woodworking but it could get you by until you have more room inside.

Around here just covering something with a tarp is almost pointless as the humidity will get under the tarp. Once that happens the tarp keeps it from drying out. Also with the rapid changes in temperature the metal will be much colder than the atmosphere and will just suck every last drop of water out of the air.

7. I'll play devil's advocate here. Lots of power tools live in non climate controlled garages. How much worse can it be to be in a covered outdoor space, especially with a little extra care? I'd get a used Delta or similar and keep it under cover (porch, shed, or worst case tarp only, whatever). Wheel it out for use if necessary.

Years ago I used some machines in a garage (not mine). It wasn't far from the Chesapeake Bay. They sat in that garage that had water on the floor after any heavy rain. They got very little care. They had been there for decades with minimal care and were working fine. They might have had a bit of motor oil rubbed on them at some point years previously, but that was about the extent of the care they got as far as i knew other than replacing worn belts and what not. They had a very heavy patina on any bare metal surfaces, but really didn't have red rust and were generally in good working order. People who fuss over their cast iron may have been appalled at their condition, but the machines still functioned okay for at least several decades.
    Last edited by Pete Staehling; 10-09-2019 at 9:07 AM.

I might consider painting the table with a can of spray paint if left outside.

I just remembered a shop I visited years ago. The guy who owned it built a lot of custom stuff for older restored boats. He worked up lots of custom teak pieces, some of it high dollar stuff. He did beautiful work. His "shop" was right on the water and much of it could barely be considered indoors. It was kind of a warren of lean tos, sheds, and pole barns and looked like a disaster zone. There were wood burning stoves for heat. Parts of the place were partly closed in with plastic sheeting. In the summer the parts with plastic were left open for ventilation and while under roof, definitely not climate controlled. The machines looked ancient, but were fully functional. The guy turned out beautiful work.

I figured it was a miracle the place hadn't either burned down or been condemned by the county.

I was in Bangladesh some years ago and was surprised to see several “shops” with large bandsaws located under lean-to type structures. They looked to be older heavy machines, which maybe hold up better due to all the cast iron?
    FYI Bangladesh has a tropical climate and is on the ocean, so is not ideal environment for equipment. I guess with a bit of care you can make things work.

Good luck,
    JeffD

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Sommers View Post
    Thanks, that might be my solution I'm looking for. I'm aiming to be a hybrid but if I can eliminate the tough jobs my hand (ripping, resawing) then I know I'll give myself a huge boost.
    Shopsmith. I have two 11" bandsaws, 6x48 belt sander, 4" jointer, 18" scroll saw, 16x34 lathe, 10" table saw, 16" drill press and all the accessories stored in 2'x6' space. There's lots of cheap SS to be had on my local Craigslist. Some of its from heirs and hasn't been used for a few decades so some DIY rehabbing skills are good to have.

I'm in a single car garage and Shopsmith is perfect for my hybrid approach. Compact when storing, easy to roll out on the driveway.

(Two bandsaws mean no blade changing, very convenient )

I am with Pete on this one. Machinery has been out doors in various applications & uses for a long, long time. If you need & want one, buy one. Why wait until you have a palace to house it? Understanding that the saw will likely be outside for a some time & will have concomitant high depreciation, it might be prudent to minimize the cost (ie. a decent used one at an acceptable price point), get decent cover or shelter for it, paint/coat the exposed metal surfaces & cover the electrical junctions/connections or replace them with appropriate weather/water proof enclosures, & enjoy the saw. A saw with a TEFC motor in this application might be worth a few motor $$$ at purchase. If you end up with a open motor, cover it & keep watch for a suitable TEFC, wash down or farm duty motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Staehling View Post
    I'll play devil's advocate here. Lots of power tools live in non climate controlled garages. How much worse can it be to be in a covered outdoor space, especially with a little extra care? I'd get a used Delta or similar and keep it under cover (porch, shed, or worst case tarp only, whatever). Wheel it out for use if necessary.

Years ago I used some machines in a garage (not mine). It wasn't far from the Chesapeake Bay. They sat in that garage that had water on the floor after any heavy rain. They got very little care. They had been there for decades with minimal care and were working fine. They might have had a bit of motor oil rubbed on them at some point years previously, but that was about the extent of the care they got as far as i knew other than replacing worn belts and what not. They had a very heavy patina on any bare metal surfaces, but really didn't have red rust and were generally in good working order. People who fuss over their cast iron may have been appalled at their condition, but the machines still functioned okay for at least several decades.
    I agree with Pete 100% on this one. There's a big difference between leaving a power tool out in the elements with rain pouring directly on it, or housing it under a tarp, makeshift enclosure, etc.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Sommers View Post
    I want to get a bandsaw but the only place I can put it is outside.

Is this throwing my money away? Will it rot to rust quickly? Or do I need to hose it down with WD40 every day when I'm done.

Or should I just stay inside and resaw by hand? - That's a terrifying thought. I'll do whatever it takes though to do woodworking.
    You would have more issues with rust keeping the saw outdoors but if you coat the raw metal parts with WD-40 and cover it with a tarp when not in use you shouldn't have a problem. My shop is under construction and missing one wall so I have to cover everything when not in use.

And another thing
    Has any of you folks seen Bill Carters anvil that he keeps outside?
    It has a lovely shiny patina from years of linseed oil.