Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Felt on the bottom of a drawer

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Newman View Post
    How about a non-slick router mat? https://www.rockler.com/non-slip-router-mat
    One more for that. No glue, no mess...

Google "fastcap kaizen foam". It's a thick foam you cut to custom fit the tools that go in that drawer. It's very nice in some applications. Woodcraft and others have it. LINK
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 10-07-2019 at 11:32 PM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

They sell under carpet anti-slip mats which are the same as router non-slip pads but cheaper and bigger. With the cheap powder coat guns out now I wonder if they make spray felt for them. 15 years ago they made special spray felt static charge guns.
    Flocking is what they call spray felt.
    Bill D.

I keep a number of my marking and measuring tools in a cabinet that has snap-close drawers. Whenever I let a drawer close on it's own, all the contents of the cabinet would shift; ultimately, everything would end up jumbled toward the front of the drawers. I couldn't stand it anymore and got some Kaisen foam. When I showed my wife, she thought I had gone completely around the bend. But nothing budges anymore, and it's easy to see at a glance if anything is missing.
    20191007_230225.jpg

If you go with felt, Mike Henderson's suggestion is the way to go.
    Last edited by Jim Morgan; 10-08-2019 at 3:56 AM.

I would use heavy grade self adhesive felt(you can buy it in large rolls, even pool table quality) and cut it to size and apply to either:! Framing matboard(like the one used for picture frames) or foam core board or 1/8" BB ply. As Mike Henderson said, it is much easier to fit this way and best of all, when/if it ever gets worn or damaged, you just pull it out and recover and reinsert.
    I do this on numerous drawer bottoms and box bottoms all the time.

Jim

Based on all of the suggestions, and because I will have lots of drawers I can do this to since I am also building a bunch of drawers for my shop, I ordered:

1. Some 2 mm (5/64") thick adhesive backed cork squares. If I use these, I will first fit poster board to the drawer and then put the cork onto the poster board so that it can be easily removed.
    2. Drawer liner stuff that looks like carpet stuff that you simply cut to size.

This will allow me to test, without committing by gluing something in place. This should also provide sufficient friction to hold the small stuff generally in place.

I might eventually give some of the Kaizen foam a try, but not for this application.

I had poor results with flocking.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Use non-skid shelf liner. It is grippy but not adhesive. Buy it anywhere they sell shelf liner.
    This works really well

I line the drawers of jewelry boxes with felt. I buy felt from a fabric store by the yard and lightweight cardboard from an art store. I carefully fit the cardboard to the drawer then use spray adhesive to attach the felt. I carefully cut the felt to the exact size of the cardboard with a razor blade then anchor the cardboard to the drawer bottom with a small piece of double faced carpet tape. It’s ends up being very heat and tidy.

Thanks to all who responded. I used cork on half of the drawers and Gorilla Grip Drawer Liners on the other half.

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....40#post2960440

I am very happy with the results, and it was a much better choice (I think) than the felt that I was going to try.

Andrew Pitonyak

I've used flock, felt, and rubber. The flock is best suited for jewelry and other fine light things. Too much trouble in general, but can be quite luxurious, if done right.

Felt is super easy and cheap. You can buy it by the yard and Walmart or JoAnn's Fabrics. My wife bought several yards from Walmart for $2.00/yd and I took some of it from her . Just use wood or white glue on bottom of drawer. Cut felt to size and drop in. Works great for fine tools that don't see dirt, oils, or grease. Felt comes in dozens of colors and various textures. Way nicer than rubber or cork, IMO, but not suited for greasy dirty stuff. You can do the same with upholstery scraps, which can be really luxurious and usually free if you ask an upholsterer.
    Last edited by tom lucas; 10-21-2019 at 8:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by James Morgan View Post
    I keep a number of my marking and measuring tools in a cabinet that has snap-close drawers. Whenever I let a drawer close on it's own, all the contents of the cabinet would shift; ultimately, everything would end up jumbled toward the front of the drawers. I couldn't stand it anymore and got some Kaisen foam. When I showed my wife, she thought I had gone completely around the bend. But nothing budges anymore, and it's easy to see at a glance if anything is missing.
    20191007_230225.jpg

If you go with felt, Mike Henderson's suggestion is the way to go.
    Hi James,
    I like alot!! Nice and compact with no chance for sliding around in the drawer. Do the cuts for the tools go all the way thru the foam? Or did you use another method to pocket it to fit the tools? Very Nice!!
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David Buchhauser View Post
    Hi James,
    I like alot!! Nice and compact with no chance for sliding around in the drawer. Do the cuts for the tools go all the way thru the foam? Or did you use another method to pocket it to fit the tools? Very Nice!!
    David
    Thanks David! I used the snap-blade knife with the blade extended pretty far to cut around each tool. The Kaizen foam is layered - you can dig down with a couple fingers and pull out enough to fit the tool. Not deep enough the first time? Dig out another layer (they are about 3/16"). The foam layers don't separate super neatly, but that doesn't matter once the tools are laid to bed.

Jim

If you use felt in this sort of application what you want is woven wool felt rather than the more common amorphous stuff. (you won't get it for $2 a yard, but it will last decades longer.) I attach it with hot hide glue so it can easily be replaced when needed.