Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Felt on the bottom of a drawer

Felt on the bottom of a drawer

I have some drawers that are roughly 16" deep and 18" wide.

The drawers are not deep, from 3/4" to 3".

Some of the drawers will contain things such as pocket knives.

The drawers do not have partitions.

The drawer bottoms are slick so I was thinking about putting felt down on the bottoms since that will add a bit of friction to keep things from sliding around too much.

I have never done anything like this, but, especially with the shallow drawers, i really don't want to try and add dividers inside the drawers.

Any advice? I assume that I can just go to a fabric store and purchase felt and then I should use some kind of spray adhesive before putting down the felt.

Any other suggestions if I want to just not have things sliding around as much.

When I did something for fountain pens, I purchased an insert that I could cut with scissors that holds each pen in place. Don't think I want to be that precise with these drawers. Pens are very uniform in size, knives, not so much.

I would try out your solutions before you glue them in place (glue some felt to a scrap board).

In my experience a single piece of felt made it feel cheap and kind of crappy. I doubled it up a time or two to give it some "pad" and it felt a LOT nicer. You may be able to find better/nicer felt than I did though, so one piece may be good enough, or you might want to find a thin (1/8"? 1/16"?) piece of foam to put under the felt.

Not felt. But I've lined some drawers with pieces of cheap yoga/exercise mats. It does help keep things from moving around, but it will still shift some.

Roll cork. It comes as thin as 1/8 inch. Apply as-is or with spray adhesive (or glue?)

Quote Originally Posted by Bert McMahan View Post
    I would try out your solutions before you glue them in place (glue some felt to a scrap board).

In my experience a single piece of felt made it feel cheap and kind of crappy. I doubled it up a time or two to give it some "pad" and it felt a LOT nicer. You may be able to find better/nicer felt than I did though, so one piece may be good enough, or you might want to find a thin (1/8"? 1/16"?) piece of foam to put under the felt.
    Smart, had not considered that.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kreuzberg View Post
    Roll cork. It comes as thin as 1/8 inch. Apply as-is or with spray adhesive (or glue?)
    OK, now that is pretty smart. The primary drawers of interest are not that deep, but, I should be able to get away with 1/8".

How about a non-slick router mat? https://www.rockler.com/non-slip-router-mat

There is a non-adhesive product called Gorilla Grip drawer liner that comes in rolls. You can find it on Amazon in different colors and patterns here: https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Grip-...31910285&psc=1

Hope this helps you.

You can purchase rolls of felt liner in various colors with a peel-off glue backing at Woodcraft. You can use Suede-tex, although it is not as "neat" looking a product as felt. You can purchase the type of woven, rubber liner often used in mechanic's tool boxes. All of it works. It depends on the look you want as well as the contents of the drawer. With felt, or leather for that matter, you can cut a piece of hardboard or thin plywood the size of the drawer, glue the material to the substrate and place that into the drawer. That may be easier than applying it directly to the drawer bottom. Just use your imagination.

I've done that using the self-stick felt - I think Rockler and/or Lee Valley sells those rolls in various colors. But I have had trouble getting it cut straight to fit the bottom exactly. So I've used 1/4" quarter-round pinned around the inside to cover any gaps or mis-cuts. Makes it much neater and keeps the felt from curling up at the edges. I got the small quarter-round from Rockler in birch, oak or walnut.

Use non-skid shelf liner. It is grippy but not adhesive. Buy it anywhere they sell shelf liner.

+1 on the roll cork. Have used it on a number of projects.

If you use felt, glue it to some cardboard and then cut the cardboard to fit. It'll be a lot easier fitting to the drawer that way and the felt will stay flat. Plain felt has a habit of sliding and bunching up on one end or the other.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I've had good luck with flock for boxes. I'm not sure it would wear very well in a drawer though.

https://www.rockler.com/mini-flocker...ede-tex-fibers
    Regards,

Tom

I agree with Jamie Buxton. The drawer liner is a thin soft grippy rubber-like material that is used in kitchen drawers and in roll-around tool chests. You can find it in various colors anywhere kitchen stuff is sold as well as in basic black at Harbor freight, Sears tool department, big box stores, hardware stores, etc.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-18...0001/306136147
    Bill