Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: very simple workbench?

Millersburg (Holmes County - Amish Country) Ohio
    I'll have to go with Mike's - I really love his vise-less methods.

Now what I could do is use my old bench as a glue up/assembly table.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Sommers View Post
    I'll have to go with Mike's - I really love his vise-less methods.

Now what I could do is use my old bench as a glue up/assembly table.
    Brian,

Good plan, you will end up with something you can live with and work on forever. Much better than just building a stopgap.

ken

We just give you a hard time. The Siemsen style Nicholson is pretty easy to build. The advantage as I see it for someone who does not have a bench is that you can build it without a bench, and you can save a pretty good chunk of money not having to have a vise.

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    I've not mentioned building a Moravian bench as an easy first bench mostly because I would expect an eye roll and a "there he goes again" response. Problem is I've looked at and followed the links and with the exception of using Workmates and Matt Lau's link the Moravian bench is easier to build and an order of magnitude better in use than most. At the end of the day with a Moravian if your joints are not "perfect" it makes no never mind because the design will compensate. In fact the major joint, the long stretcher/base M/T must be loose.

Here is a link to a PDF of Will building his first Moravian bench https://eclecticmechanicals.files.wordpress.com/2018/08/themoravianworkbenchbywillmyers.pdf .