Thread: Router not restricting internet access

Router not restricting internet access

Just opened a program on one of my XP computers, that is supposed to be blocked from the internet by my not-cheap Linksys router, and I got an ad message-- so I open Firefox to check, sure enough, internet works. Opened up my Linksys, and sure enough, "Always" block internet access is checked. I'm posting this from the XP, have windows open to both, which I'm taking a screenshot of *now*...

and here's the slightly downsized pic below- access blocked, but obviously it's not I've checked my IP addresses, everything matches ups, I have no conflicts or duplicate 'NEWDELL-XP' computers. I haven't checked my other blocked computers yet, need to do that. In the meantime, I'm not exactly sure how to disable this computer's internet access while still leaving it on my network, while I try to figure out why the router's not doing it... any ideas?

========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Are you sure it is that router

I have a Linksys router with the same parental controls user interface. I wrote my Amazon review of that router using an iPad that, just like Kev's computer, was supposed to be blocked. Let's just say I didn't give it five stars. Linksys' forums are full of other users with the same complaint and company responses of "let us look into that for you", and on and on.

Kev, if you bought the router for the access control, send it back. Unfortunately I don't have a recommendation for an alternative router. We use the cable modem provided by our ISP, which sort-of works as long as I remember to reset it occasionally. It's my impression that for real control over Internet traffic, one may have to spend for an enterprise-grade router/firewall.
    Chuck Taylor

I've had this router for maybe 2 or 3 years, I spent well over $200 for it, mostly because it was supposed to handle a LOT of devices-- which it does, right now there's 19 devices connected to it, and it was supposed to give good coverage around the house-- and it does that too, the worst coverage anywhere in this place I've seen on the 2.4gig side is "good". My last router, think it was a netgear, just couldn't handle the load. This one has been great in that respect.

But I was disappointed from the get-go about it's lack of control of and insight into internet traffic. I can enter websites and IP addresses to ban, but like with internet blocking, the bans are applied to individual devices, there's no 'total network website ban' option. And worse, there's a limit to how many devices you can control. Could be I'm running into a limit with the internet ban on the XP, but I'm not getting a message like I do if I've exceeded the number of devices I'm website blocking? Finally, my old router had real time, time-stamped traffic tracking of each device, if something weird was going on I could hit the router and google and figure it out. I've tried using Wireshark to monitor traffic, but it was displaying every bit and byte of traffic, I couldn't believe the amount of actual internet traffic that goes on in just 10 seconds...scary, actually! And I'm not bright enough to figure out how to throttle down the info, so I haven't used Wireshark in a long time.

Niggly issues aside I've been happy with this router, but if it won't block the 'net from computers I need offline, I'll be looking for another one...
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

I'm pretty sure you can isolate your computer from the internet and keep it connected to the house network without using the router to isolate it. Depending on how you do it there may be possibility of getting virus if virus infects one of the computers that is on your house network. I am not able to help other than say that I'm pretty sure it can be done because I have seen it done at work when I use to work. Maybe you can find someone good with networking or google search how to do it. That may give you enough information so you can do it yourself.

I was just thinking, I wonder if I can block the 'net by 127.0.0.1-ing '.com', '.org', '.eu', '.ca', '.biz', etc etc... Going to give that a try. If it works it shouldn't affect any LAN stuff...
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

Blog Entries
    It has been a long time since I used XP but, I would look into flipping on the Windows Firewall and blocking everything except what you need to use for your local LAN setup. If the router is known to have this bug, the OS firewall could be your workaround.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

SOLVED!
    dia2.jpg

In the 'connectivity' section, 'adminstration' tab, 'allow users to restrict internet access' was NOT checked. Don't know why it wasn't checked, I don't get into the router much, and I don't remember unchecking anything, I like to let sleeping dogs lie...

Anyway, I checkmarked the box, rebooted, and now everything's working as it should. Seems ALL the 'parental control' restrictions were off, which would explain getting the ad I mentioned above, which came from a blocked website, and for why I've been getting notices and ads on other computers from blocked websites.

This is a glitch that should be fixed, because the main screen has a slider to turn parental controls on or off. With that box un-checked, the slider said 'on' even though they were definitely OFF. If the box is not checked, the slider should say OFF, or at least a popup message stating parental controls are disabled...
    Last edited by Kev Williams; 10-08-2019 at 4:37 PM.
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

Ken- glad you solved the mystery! Thanks for posting the solution.