Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Forstner Bit Set, Help me spend my money

Generally speaking, it is advisable to buy individual Forstner bits rather than a set. The bits in a set are usually of lower quality that won't hold an edge well. There are exceptions such as Freud, Fisch, and Colt, however a set of high quality Forstner bits is likely to be expensive. My favorite are Colt bits ... they stay sharp for a long time if they aren't abused and they are easy to sharpen with a diamond card.
    Bill

Blog Entries
    I like Bormax, they're clean cutting and seem to have a fairly long life. I resharpen mine with a file.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Another Bormax fan. Expensive, but IMHO well worth it. I bought individual bits as my projects demanded and ended up with almost a full set. Also have some colts that I use for drilling end grain pepper mills etc..

Lisa, I recently bought a few Freud “precision shear” bits with serrated edges. They cut much faster and cleaner than their “regular” bits- I was really surprised at the difference.

(Freud 4 Pcs. Precision Shear Forstner Bit Set (PB-104) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002TUFYU..._zKlNDbS9C2K4E)

Like many others, I bought a 16 pc set years ago (house brand from I don’t remember where) and have never used all of them. I primarily use 1/4”, 3/8”, 1/2”, 3/4”, 1”, and 1-3/8” (for European hinge cups).

I think you would be better off buying the sizes you know you will use and adding more when you need them. As others have said I think the individual bits are better quality than the sets.

I have 2 sets; 1 is Freud; both work well; both have the smooth cutting rim--not toothed or wavy. And I have used every size. It is well worth having the whole set from 1/4" - over 2" (don't recall the largest size). Most often used in a drill press, they still work fine in a drill motor for certain tasks.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

I recommend a hex shank. I use machinist piloted counterbores for odd sized holes if they happen to be the correct size. Pretty easy with replaceable pilots to fit the hole size needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Starr View Post
    Hi all,

I'd like to purchase a set of Forstner Drill Bits and would like you thoughts and experiences.

Ideally, I'd like a 14 or 16 pc set of Fractional Sizes and spend no more than $150.00. I've watched videos and read a fair amount, but what do I want? Saw-tooth, Wavy Edge, Smooth Edge, Bormax...the configurations seem to go on forever. I'll be using these primarily general woodworking.

Would you offer your experiences with particular brands? Styles?

Thanks
    Lisa
    As almost everything, there is not a such thing as "right approach" for all.

I purchased my first Forstner bit 25+ years ago. It was a 35 mm for European hinges I used a lot. Carbide tipped and very good quality. It is like new even after all those moons!

Past year I finally had courage to purchase a full set of them but I did not have no special application for them - I looked them "just in case". As I did not have a specific application I purchased a Chinese set of 16 bits for USD 25. As an Engineer, I really appreciate high quality tools but I could not justify to put serious money in something I would barely use. These bits are better than expected for slightly above USD 1 each and came in a good plastic case to store them!

Bottom line: if you have a specific need, go to the best quality for the requirements. If you want to have "just in case", try a cheaper set at a reasonable quality.
    Last edited by Osvaldo Cristo; 10-08-2019 at 5:49 PM. Reason: Typo as usual
    All the best.

Osvaldo.

Thank you all very much for the info. I think I'm going to pursue purchasing a smaller set (7 pc?) first and just a couple of larger ones is sizes I know I'll use frequently.

Mike - Yes, I have a old Rockwell 15" Drill Press that was purchased new for a machine shop long ago, hence slower speeds than the "wood working" version. I actually have both sets of stepped pulleys so with some effort I can change from "low speed" to "high speed".

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    The problem with buying individual Forstner bits is where to store them. When you buy a set you usually get a box that they fit into. (Of course, I suppose you could make a box).

That said, I bought a set of Freud and have been happy with them. I replaced a couple of them - the ones I use the most - with Famag Forstner bits. As others have said, there's usually a few that you use the most, but it's a pain to have a situation where you need a specific size and don't have it. I even extended my set to sizes in 16ths.

Unless you're going to use them a whole lot, I'd just buy the standard ones (without the teeth).

Mike
    +1 Famag (excellent and pricey)

I bought a cheap Rioby set under $30.00. Mainly to see which bits I use. I upgrade them as was said above with better bits as they need to be replaced.
    Some Blue Tools
    Some Yellow Tools
    A Grizzly Collection
    ShapeokoXL
    Blue and White 50 Watt

Another vote for the Lee Valley sets. Had mine for a few years now and they’ve been awesome!
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Core-out first. You'll dramatically improve how long the forstner bits stay sharp and how well they perform by first coring-out the hole. The small holes can be cored-out with brad-point bits ... use hole-saws for the larger sizes.

Blog Entries
    I bought a no-name cheap set of forstner bits at a WW show. They have served me well, except they are prone to corrosion, TIN coating would be nice. Most don't get used, but they are there so if I need one now, I don't have to go out and look for one at a store on online.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    Step 1: Determine how much you are willing to spend.

Step 2: Metric or Imperial

Step 3: Determine how many you really need.
    You also might consider a less expensive set and then add in the bits that you find that you actually use or need and you can use the cheaper bits for the one off cuts that you make. My first set was a Bosch set, not that those are cheap, but then I added to them. The drawback is that I cannot put in any extra bits I bought later into the same container.
    That's probably the approach I'd take, similar to the way I buy router bits.

15. Lots of possible answers and none are universally right for all.

I kind of like having a cheap set so I have all the sizes I might want once in a blue moon and can sharpen the ones I might rarely use with every few uses if necessary. Even a cheap HF set might suffice. Then I buy quality ones like Freud in the few sizes I really need and use frequently.

Btw, I also found that I use a set of quality brad point bits for a lot of things that I used to use the smaller forstner bits for.