Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Forstner Bit Set, Help me spend my money

Forstner Bit Set, Help me spend my money

Hi all,

I'd like to purchase a set of Forstner Drill Bits and would like you thoughts and experiences.

Ideally, I'd like a 14 or 16 pc set of Fractional Sizes and spend no more than $150.00. I've watched videos and read a fair amount, but what do I want? Saw-tooth, Wavy Edge, Smooth Edge, Bormax...the configurations seem to go on forever. I'll be using these primarily general woodworking.

Would you offer your experiences with particular brands? Styles?

Thanks
    Lisa

About30 years ago, I bought a Forstner Bit Set. Soon found that I regularly used 3 or 4 bits, the rest just sat in the box and this still holds true today. If I was doing it over, I would buy the bits as I need them and buy a better quality.

Blog Entries
    The ones sold by Lee Valley are very good. They are HSS rather than carbon steel, which most are made of. The HSS is far more resistant to heat damage. The saw tooth bits they sell seem to cut as smooth a hole as smooth edge and they cut much faster, with less feed pressure.

Blog Entries
    Even AMANA will be about $170. Maybe Freud will be cheaper. As mentioned you really don't use them as much as you would think..

The problem with buying individual Forstner bits is where to store them. When you buy a set you usually get a box that they fit into. (Of course, I suppose you could make a box).

That said, I bought a set of Freud and have been happy with them. I replaced a couple of them - the ones I use the most - with Famag Forstner bits. As others have said, there's usually a few that you use the most, but it's a pain to have a situation where you need a specific size and don't have it. I even extended my set to sizes in 16ths.

Unless you're going to use them a whole lot, I'd just buy the standard ones (without the teeth).

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 10-07-2019 at 2:32 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I like my Veritas's. I bought their standard imperial set. Comes with a box.

I also very much like having a set of brad point bits. When the depth of the hole exceeds the depth of the forstner, I find it useful to start the hole with the forstner, then waste some of the interior with a brad point, and then complete with the forstner. It reduces the effort and heat on the bit.

Lisa - I second Ray's experience and recommendation. I have a large set that I picked up along the way. In the last 15 years I've used at most three of the bits. I would go for good quality and buy what you need when you need it. You can make a nice box from your fall to store them...

Cheers,
    Mark

Step 1: Determine how much you are willing to spend.

Step 2: Metric or Imperial

Step 3: Determine how many you really need.

This is a decent set for under $120
    https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop...ith-wooden-box

Assume that you go all in and purchase this 29 piece set for almost $500

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop...h-wooden-boxes

Then, you realize that you need to install a hing that requires a metric hole.

You also might consider a less expensive set and then add in the bits that you find that you actually use or need and you can use the cheaper bits for the one off cuts that you make. My first set was a Bosch set, not that those are cheap, but then I added to them. The drawback is that I cannot put in any extra bits I bought later into the same container.

Whichever set you get, I recommend spending a few dollars on the flat and round DMT handheld hones and learn to hone them yourself. I found it is the nature of Forstner bits that they will dull quickly. Courtesy of a YouTube video I learned to sharpen them myself. Make a v block to hold the shaft in a vise. It is surprisingly easy and only takes a minute or so and the bit will be cutting shavings again.

I have found the standard Forstner is a little easier to hone than the sawtooth and wave styles.

In my case I'm glad I got a complete set. I find myself reaching for odd sizes from time to time. It's nice to have them at the ready when you need them.

+1 on learning to sharpen your forstners. They do work much better when they’re sharp.

I bought these several years ago. I’ve never been disappointed

D6CC4461-D6DB-469C-82B3-435563C2001C.jpg D63231D3-898B-465C-BDF7-ECD332B07501.jpg

About $50.
    Last edited by Rob Luter; 10-07-2019 at 7:27 PM.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I went through this recently. For longevity and quality of cut, Colt Maxicut got the nod. Just in the sizes more used (or likely to be used). I also researched the ease of sharpening and, as Edwin recommended, restocked a range of diamond mini cards and hones, along with ceramic rods for inside curved bevels. Frequent sharpening - keeping the bits sharp - is a key to longevity and performance. The steel and wood will burn if they are allowed to dull. Pitch is easily removed with Simple Green.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Lisa

I have a set by W.L. Fuller of Warwick RI. All they make are drill bits and cutters.
    Not to sound judgemental, but do you have a drill press that can run Forstner bits? Forstner bits require low speeds on drill presses. Once the bits get over an 3/4" in diameter the drill press needs to slow way down. I would want a drill press that could go down to <250 rpm.
    W.L. Fuller makes nice tools. THey have an online catalog, and they are very knowledgeable over the phone. You could probably spec your own set from their catalog.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Here's a couple of pictures of the Freud bits I bought, just FYI. It's been a long time so I don't remember what I paid for them.

I'm not suggesting this to you but I have additional Forstner bits - a set of metric and a set of cheap really big Forstners that rarely get used but when I need one they're nice to have.

Mike

Forstner001.jpgForstner002.jpg
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 10-07-2019 at 8:41 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

My imperial set was a house brand from the long-defunct Woodworker's Warehouse chain..."Carbtec" I think is the name. They perform fine as I don't drill all that many large holes and even less now that I have the CNC. My metric set is Fisch and they are way, way nicer than the other set, although it's a smaller range. Again, I don't use them much, but they cut crispy-clean. Speaking of clean...that and the occasional sharpening that's already been mentioned makes a big difference. And if you do fine yourself using a particular size a lot, go ahead any buy a higher quality single unit.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...