Thread: Back saws, brass vs steel

Back saws, brass vs steel

I've been looking for a back saw for general crosscutting tasks, something athletic, perhaps 12" blade and ~2" cutting depth. A few possible candidates have caught my eye, some with brass backs but they seem to cost almost half again as much. I've got more than a dozen back saws but all with steel backs and i can't remember ever using one with brass.

So my question is is there an advantage to brass? Brass is slightly heavier but probably not enough to notice.

TIA
    Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

I have and use both. There is no functional difference that I can attribute to the back material. Go with whichever best suits your aesthetic sense and your wallet.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach Dillinger View Post
    I have and use both. There is no functional difference that I can attribute to the back material. Go with whichever best suits your aesthetic sense and your wallet.
    +1 on this observation.

Most of my saws have been purchased second hand with steel backs. A few of my saws have backs of brass. The material in the back isn't what makes one saw better than the other.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks guys!

I suspected as much but thought i'd ask.

The search continues .....
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Generally, the ones with BRASS backs are more expensive!! No other notable difference
    Jerry

The density of steel is .283# per cubic inch. Brass is about .310# per cubic inch depending on alloy. A brass back will be heavier than a steel back of the same size. Theoretically, this will drive the saw faster as the downforce per tooth is greater. This and four dollars will get you a Starbucks. I’ve owned a number of steel backed saws and they cut very well. All were antiques. My current backsaws are modern and all have brass backs. They cut very well. I prefer the aesthetics of the brass back. The plates of the modern saws are thinner too and have a finer set. Also a plus in my book.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I have no personal knowledge or experience to offer here, but happened to be perusing the Bad Axe dovetail saw page recently. They have a discussion of folded steel vs. Brass backs. Keeping in mind that they have a horse in the race, it still might be worth a read.

I have some of both, but that's all I remember about them. I do know which saw does what cut the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    I have no personal knowledge or experience to offer here, but happened to be perusing the Bad Axe dovetail saw page recently. They have a discussion of folded steel vs. Brass backs. Keeping in mind that they have a horse in the race, it still might be worth a read.
    One should not confuse folded brass backs with slotted brass backs and dispense with the marketing hype. . Aside from cost differences, ( steel is cheaper than brass ), folded steel backs may have a slight advantage over folded brass backs with regard to the spring force of the backs. ie: compression/ tension force of the backs. Depending on the type of steel and how the steel is tempered it may have a higher spring force than the brass. A lot of Henery Diston's folded steel backs were not only thicker than modern folded steel backs, they have held their strength quite well after 100 years of so. He obviously had it figured out. Without knowing the chemical make up, gauge, process, etc. one would only be guessing as to which is better. Either way the brass may certainly look better to some, while the blued steel may appeal to another.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Olexa View Post
    Generally, the ones with BRASS backs are more expensive!! No other notable difference
    But they are prettier.

Lowell, I agree..I love the look of the BRASS!!
    Jerry