Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Performax thickness sander problems

Performax thickness sander problems

I have a Performax 22-44 sander and I just cant seem to get the sandpaper on the drum tight enough. I have the paper oriented on the drum correctly, following the arrow on the paper, but i cant seem to get the ends tight enough in those crappy clips and I just trashed two rolls that came loose when I fired it up and the ends flapped until they were ruined. What the hell am I doing wrong?

Is the end, where the clip is, spring loaded? The clip on my old sander would rotate and the spring would keep the paper taut.

Both ends have a clip to hold the paper, but it’s the one near the motor that is supposed to hold the paper tight. It doesn’t appear to be doing its job and I can’t get my fingers in there to pull the paper tight. I almost thought about using some spray adhesive on the drum and back of the paper to hold it on...

I have an older 16/32. You're using the tool that Performax sent to lift the spring-loaded clip and lock it while inserting the paper end? I have to go back and forth a few times after getting the paper in before it's tight (being cut properly also matters). Often I have to reach in underneath and tug on the end of the paper while lifting up on the clip.

Yes, I do have that tool, but I can’t get my fingers in to pull on the paper. I might modify a pair of needle nose pliers and bend them so that I can reach in and grab the end with those to try and pull it tight. But that might not work. Just trying to come up with some ideas.

I use needle nose pliers; I should have been clearer in my post.

I might have to modify (bend) a pair of needle nose pliers to get that to work. But it’s worth a shot.

I doubt you will bent the needle nose pliers. I have a pair that I bought that was mfg bent. Google bent needle nose pliers and you will find some.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Ramsey View Post
    I have an older 16/32. You're using the tool that Performax sent to lift the spring-loaded clip and lock it while inserting the paper end? I have to go back and forth a few times after getting the paper in before it's tight (being cut properly also matters). Often I have to reach in underneath and tug on the end of the paper while lifting up on the clip.
    I bought a used one last weekend and f'ed around trying to get the paper on and finally had to go to the last resort - read the instructions. And there was a single loose paper about the Tuftool. Which of course did not come with it. Found one on ebay and I really hope it makes the job easier. I can't get the clip on the motor side - the takeup clip - to hold on to the paper.

On another note, I've heard that the smaller dust port can cause problems. Anyone modified the cover for a 4" port?
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

I have the 16/32 performax and the only p0roblem I have had is keeping the drum straight. I have bought an upgrade bracket that I still have not installed yet that is support to keep the drum in place better. Anyone else installed this upgrade kit or have problem having to adjust drum constantly?
    "To me, there's nothing freer than a bird, you know, just flying wherever he wants to go. And, I don't know, that's what this country is all about, being free. I think everyone wants to be a free bird." - Ronnie Van Zant

I found the tuftool difficult to use. I now use my hands, the trick for me was getting the paper tail in the right place in the clip so the spring tensions it properly. I had to position an inspection mirror and light to see enough to understand how to use the clip. I curl the tail of the paper so it goes into the right place when pushed thru the slot while holding the clip open.

So many people have problems with this. The clip design may be sub-optimum.

My Performax 22-44 came with a 4" port. The collection cover/hood works quite well connected to the 5-hp ClearVue cyclone.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    I bought a used one last weekend and f'ed around trying to get the paper on and finally had to go to the last resort - read the instructions. And there was a single loose paper about the Tuftool. Which of course did not come with it. Found one on ebay and I really hope it makes the job easier. I can't get the clip on the motor side - the takeup clip - to hold on to the paper.

On another note, I've heard that the smaller dust port can cause problems. Anyone modified the cover for a 4" port?

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post

So many people have problems with this. The clip design may be sub-optimum. ...........

JKJ
    I think you are being generous with the sub-obtimum rating, John. Very difficult to use, especially with bad fingers, so I'm hoping the tuftool helps out. I did the inspection mirror routine as well and if I'm not mistaken that little clip next to the motor is signed by Rube Goldberg. If the tuftool doesn't help, plan B might be in the offing.

I take time to "break in" the end of the paper that is on the motor side. I find that flexible paper is much easier to get deep in the slot. I then use curved forceps to pull the paper tight.

I use 1” black Gorilla tape on the motor side. Not pretty but it’s held up pretty well. I’m thinking about converting to hook and loop

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Magliocco View Post
    I use 1” black Gorilla tape on the motor side. Not pretty but it’s held up pretty well. I’m thinking about converting to hook and loop
    So if I understand you correctly, you lose an 1" of capacity on the right hand side? Which might be just fine for me. And for the H&L would cover the entire drum with one or the other?