Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

7 Oct 2019

Greetings,
    It's been a typical oncall week for me but I did get some shop time in and got my DC vented to the outside of my shop. This eliminated the 8" flex duct that ran from side to side of my shop to vent outside an open garage door. Now I get some more room to better organize and cleanup my shop. I'm working on making things to sell out of my shop so I can make the money necessary to buy my first CNC Router setup. We'll see how this goes.

That's it for me, I'm tired and I need sleep......

So what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Sounds like good progress Dennis.

Diann and I went to Ottawa for my 30 year award at work.

We had a great trip......Rod

Congrats on your award Rod! We’ve been off of grid power for about a month so I’ve been very limited in what I can get done. Mostly little odds and ends. We do have solar but that only goes so far. I don’t know what happened to my feather boards during our move so here’s one of the quick and dirty little things I managed while the sun was shining. Was actually kind of fun to make something I could mess up and not have to worry about
    1EB401FC-D68E-4B9D-9E87-38B483D11EF5.jpg

Glad things are coming together, Dennis.

Most of my shop time this past week was spent finishing up my little renovation, cleaning and reorganization. I picked up another Husky chest to complete one piece of this including elimination of the old, red tool chest that wasn't serving me well and taking up work surface. I would have liked to buy an identical unit to the larger one I already have, but the current version is 24" deep compared to the existing 18" deep, has a useless-to-me electrical setup on the right end and...costs a hundred bucks more than I paid for the existing one. But the smaller unit was actually the right size for the storage I needed. Pardon the stuff piled next to it...some things still need to be organized or stored.

IMG_5675.jpg

I replaced some rotted window trim on the outside of the now hidden picture window and started on a few small repairs on our home where some trim hasn't weathered well for whatever reason. I have a bit more work to do on the other end of the shop to clean up and then I can get started on the dedicated guitar making bench I intend to make.

Outside of the shop, I did a small plumbing repair, installed a new gateway router for our Internet service...we became "cord cutters" last week when I renegotiated our service. Otherwise it was the usual preparing of nice meals, paperwork and bill paying, etc.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 10-07-2019 at 9:28 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

After a summer of only odds and ends woodworking-wise, due to kids' sports and other demands, I'm building a bed to fulfill the eldest daughter's Christmas wish. Yesterday I glued together a torsion box that will be the headboard. I'll do a similar thing for a footboard. The visible parts will be clad with stained pine boards for the rustic look that's oh-so-trendy.

Dry fit before gluing...
    Torsion Box Dry Fit.jpg
    Last edited by Charles Taylor; 10-07-2019 at 9:45 AM. Reason: Because I didn't proofread!
    Chuck Taylor

I finally built the lumber rack I've been putting off for years. Now I can actually find the material I have on hand when it's time for a project. It's amazing how many ideas I have now that I'm organized.

IMG_7824.jpg

While continuing to work on outdoor projects while the weather here is still so nice, I have been getting into the shop more. Last week I spent most of a day picking out and picking up cherry for the mantel/cabinet project that is next on the schedule. Ended up with 100 bf of 4/4, about 30 of 8/4 and 40 of 5/4. I overbought but it's prime cherry and won't go to waste, plus it gives me wiggle room on grain and color selection. My favorite lumber yard for cherry is close to 2 hours away, so it does pretty much kill a day. Then I did some rearranging of the shop to put my new bench in a better position and finally I sharpened everything that needed it.

My wife and I spent a couple of days down near Hocking Hills State park in central Ohio; a little mini vacation. While there, I managed to pick up two planes, a Stanley #4 Type 19 and a stanley #5 1/2 Type 15. The #4 is more recent than I would have preferred, but it is in pristine condition with only very slight indication that it ever met wood. Came with what appears to be the original box, not that I really care since I intend for it to be a user. Sharpened the blade and made nice shavings with no other tuning.

The 5 1/2 obviously has some mileage on it, but has no missing/wrong parts (well, maybe the tote screw), no cracks or other damage, no issues other than a loose tote and a beat up blade. Paint is worn but very little rust or pitting, and the sole is quite flat. It will take some cleaning and tuning, and I'll probably put a hock blade/chipbreaker on it, but I'm looking forward to using it on larger panels.

Perhaps this is not the right forum for this information - - but last Thursday night I presented a talk on hand tools I have made over the years to the Old Tools Preservation Society (in Perth). I tend to take a step back from furniture pieces after one is completed and built a hand tool. It is satisfying and a relaxing quick fix.

Here are a couple for your amusement:

Bridle arm plough plane (based on one by Matherson) in She-oak ...

A couple of back saws in Jarrah ...

Travisher and reamer for Windsor chair seats in Buloke (?) and curly Hard Maple...

No one here will get this one! The head of a brace (in Tasmanian Blackwood - similar to Koa) ...

Body in She-oak ...

And a million other boring hand tools

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 10-08-2019 at 2:25 AM.