Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Expandable garden hose - is this real deal or gimmick?

Expandable garden hose - is this real deal or gimmick?

I am looking for a good garden hose. And I need at least of 3 of them. My old hoses start leaking, easy to kink. All hoses will be hanging on the wall hanger, not in the track reel boxes, just on the hooks.
    I see on internet a lot of advertisement for expandable hoses, is this a good quality and longevity? Is anybody has an experience with one of these exp.hoses?
    Please give me advise. And while we are on this matter, any good places to buy spray nozzles?
    Thank you,
    Ed.

Blog Entries
    My take on these is they do not like being pulled across surface, and they break easily. After reading reviews, it did not look like a worth while item to purchase.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

We use an expandable hose on our patio for general utility...like topping off our fish pond, cleaning the filter for the pond and occasionally watering houseplants that are outside for the summer. it's been fine for that but it's definitely not something to use for heavier yard work. So if you are just using it with a nozzle for watering plants around the outside of the house within the general reach of the hose, it should be no issue. But for "real work", continue to use a sturdier setup.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Which one?

There is one that "scrunches" up like a women hair "scrunchie" There is another that is lies flat, like a nylon dog leash, and expands and unrolls as water pressure is applied. Neither worked very well for me.
    I no longer have and of the 1st type, but I think I might have one of the second in the basement.
    It's hard to beat a quality garden hose on a nice reel.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

In my opinion the only hoses to buy are rubber ones. I've had mine now for 30+ years and still going strong. They never kink up or crack or leak like the plastic kind....

We've used the scrunchy kind from a couple of sources. They seem to last one season. I wouldn't recommend for serious watering use, or to attach to sprinklers for example. But wife prefers them for watering plants around the patio. She doesnt mind buying new ones every spring.

Looks like expandable hose more toy then real deal for gardening. On one site I found they expandable hose good for 1000 (yes - only thousand) uses. Ouch.
    Any recommendations for nozzles?

Ed.

Ed,
    Lee Valley sells gardening tools in addition to woodworking tools. I assume they are good quality products backed by their usual guarantee, like their hand tools. (You could call and check.) You might look and see whether anything they have meets your needs. I see hoses and nozzles, among other things. Here is a link.

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Eduard Nemirovsky View Post
    Looks like expandable hose more toy then real deal for gardening. On one site I found they expandable hose good for 1000 (yes - only thousand) uses. Ouch.
    Depends on your definition of "gardening". If they really last 1000 uses (presumably expand/contract cycles), that's about 10 years of twice-weekly backyard potted-plant watering...I have a sprinkler system for the actual lawn (such as it is).

I've been using the metal-coil style for the last two years. They seem to fail randomly at the nozzle-end attachment point: I've got one that's two years old, but another of the same brand failed in two months.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

The scrunch ones are small diameter so reduced flow rate.
    Bil lD

My wife loves/loved her scrunching one. Used for watering foliage, washing car. We do not drag it across concrete, but dragging it on grass and against bushes and trees had no ill effects. The first one lasted three years.

It sprung a leak this year when we left the water on and the nozzle was closed. We have above average water pressure. We think that and the hose was black, sitting in the sun over a couple of days when the outside temp was over 100°F and we were not at home (monthly water bill, usually about $25 was $135-won’t do that again).
    But it was super handy, easy to store, easy to move from place to place. We bought another one to replace it.
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.

I used to keep a “scrunchy” hose on our boat and the convenience of being able to store a 50’ hose in the space of a half gallon milk carton outweighed the fact that it only lasted a season or two. All the terminal hardware and connections were pretty chintzy. If I were in the market for something heavy duty I would be looking at the Goodyear hoses.

I have bought at least three of the scrunchy type, or more accurately....my wife did.

The first one lasted one day, and the next morning we discovered the dog found it appetizing.

Second one lasted almost a week before the fitting came off of the vinyl tubing inside the jacket.

We saved the third one to take back the next year to the fair where we bought them. Seller was gone, so we hooked it up at home, and the fabric jacket came out of the fitting.

I saved a little of the vinyl tubing for slingshots.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I have two of them both 2+years old. I use them to water plants on the porch or similar things. I store them in a large pot. I did not but the cheapest ones and been very happy. My wife likes them because they are easy and light to use. If she likes them, what else is there to say.

For watering out in the yard, I have 150 ft of very good quality hose and keep them in big hose reels. The scrunchy hose does not have the flow capability of regular hose. As with all tools, you have to use the right hose in the right place.

I've had two I think. Both broke soon after their first use.