Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Auto Darkening Welding Helmet

I use an old, metal filing cabinet to keep my helmets, face shields, and some other welding stuff in. I'm sure it's not totally insect, and dustproof, but I haven't had any trouble with either. The drawers doors do fit fairly tight. Sparks just bounce off of it.

Mine is a kobalt 4 sensor model from Lowe’s that works great. It is a predecessor to the current model they sell. At the time I bought it, it seemed comparable in spec and user review to those from Lincoln, Hobart and Miller. Came with a black storage bag to keep it out of light and has worked well for years. Has sensitivity level, darkness level and grinder mode switches.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    John I am interested.
    Mike, the one I like the best was the most expensive, a "Jackson Safety BH3 Auto Darkening Welding Helmet with Balder Technology, WH70" whatever that means. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AAQ4ZPK But I would hate to pay that much for it - I got mine for about $220 in 2013. The list price then was also $500 but it was advertised as a "lightning sale" on Amazon. A quick google check found them for significantly cheaper elsewhere. I like the weight and the headband too, very comfortable.

The controls on this one are good: dials for sensitivity, delay, and darkness (from 9 to 13).

The other good one is a Miller but I didn't have time tonight to write down the model number. It was less than $100 at the welding supply store. It also has pretty good controls.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis McDonaugh View Post
    I know you guys have lots of experience with other tools -- I'm looking for a good welding helmet. I know some of the cheap ones react too slowly or have other issues. Anyone have a recommendation for a good helmet in the <$200 range?
    I've been using the harbor freight helmet for several years and I don't have any complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis McDonaugh View Post
    Yes, I'd be interested in the brand. I've done a lot of research an all it seems to have done is confuse me!
    Dennis, I looked at the helmet I use the most: https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....34#post2957634

6. I learned to weld in a community ed shop. The best thing I did in that class was buy my Lincoln Viking 3350. It is far superior to the cheaper hoods they had. It responds faster, has more precise settings and has a much clearer view.

I was curious after seeing really cheap ones on eBay. So I spent a grand total of $22.99, delivered, on one just to see what it was like. Amazing! the helmet material is really light weight feels cheap, surprise! but, the head gear works really well. The lens is adjustable for delay and dimming range. Works as well any I've tried in my limited use so far.

Over the years I've had 3 different HF helmets. Never had any problems with them and they were used with an arc and MIG welder. But when I got a TIG welder I realized that I needed a better helmet for viewing so I bought the Lincoln 3350. Quite a difference. It's one of those situations where if you never tried a better helmet like this you wouldn't know any better. After I bought it I realized I should have done it years ago. Yes it's more expensive but it would be the last helmet you would ever buy. And out of all of our senses eyesight is probably the most important and it's worth protecting. As a couple of posters pointed out, larger viewing area, quicker response and the 4C technology is brighter and clearer.

Quote Originally Posted by John Ziebron View Post
    Over the years I've had 3 different HF helmets. Never had any problems with them and they were used with an arc and MIG welder. But when I got a TIG welder I realized that I needed a better helmet for viewing so I bought the Lincoln 3350. Quite a difference. It's one of those situations where if you never tried a better helmet like this you wouldn't know any better. After I bought it I realized I should have done it years ago. Yes it's more expensive but it would be the last helmet you would ever buy. And out of all of our senses eyesight is probably the most important and it's worth protecting. As a couple of posters pointed out, larger viewing area, quicker response and the 4C technology is brighter and clearer.
    I discovered the same thing about helmets. The cheap ones did work. The better ones are well worth the expense.

Which TIG did you get? I looked around a little but bought the Miller recommended by my long-time trusted welding supplier, use with argon/co2 mix. It was my first experience with TIG. The precision is incredible! It's a bit like welding with a small oxy-acetylene torch but easier. It will run from 110v if needed.

I was a welding inspector in the '70s but never learned to weld myself until much later, starting with a little flux core wire welder. Now I have an AC/DC stick, MIG, TIG (and a Hypertherm plasma cutter! Yay!) And maybe 4-5 tons of steel stock on hand. Life is good.

JKJ

John, I bought the Everlast Power TIG 200DV. It also works on both 110 and 220. I did a fair amount of research before buying and while you can never go wrong with Miller or Lincoln both were out of my price range for the amount of welding I do. Don't know if I'm allowed to say the name but I belong to the largest tractor forum in the world and Everlast is one of their sponsors. A fellow named Mark is assigned to the forum and not only helps answer questions but gives members better deals on Everlast welders. I have less than 20 hours use on it so far but very happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by John Ziebron View Post
    John, I bought the Everlast Power TIG 200DV. It also works on both 110 and 220. I did a fair amount of research before buying and while you can never go wrong with Miller or Lincoln both were out of my price range for the amount of welding I do. Don't know if I'm allowed to say the name but I belong to the largest tractor forum in the world and Everlast is one of their sponsors. A fellow named Mark is assigned to the forum and not only helps answer questions but gives members better deals on Everlast welders. I have less than 20 hours use on it so far but very happy with it.
    I love to browse the equipment forums. With tractor, skid steer, excavator and three other farm machines with diesel engines there is a lot of valuable experience there for me. (Some are not well behaved like SMC though!) We are allowed to refer to another forum by name (OWWM, Woodnet, WoodCentral, etc.) name as long as there is not a hot or text link to it. I'd like to know which one you recommend, by private message at least!

They weren't readily available when I equipped my shop, but the new multi-process machines in tiny packages sure look tempting, especially for my tiny weld shop! I don't even have room to keep my stick welder so it's been at a friend's place for years now. I see some even include a plasma cutter. (Once I got a plasma cutter I can't go back! My Hypertherm cuts 1/2" clean, stainless, hardened steel - hold me back! My orphan abrasive chop saw is gathering dust and rust in the barn?!)

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I love to browse the equipment forums. With tractor, skid steer, excavator and three other farm machines with diesel engines there is a lot of valuable experience there for me. (Some are not well behaved like SMC though!) We are allowed to refer to another forum by name (OWWM, Woodnet, WoodCentral, etc.) name as long as there is not a hot or text link to it. I'd like to know which one you recommend, by private message at least!

They weren't readily available when I equipped my shop, but the new multi-process machines in tiny packages sure look tempting, especially for my tiny weld shop! I don't even have room to keep my stick welder so it's been at a friend's place for years now. I see some even include a plasma cutter. (Once I got a plasma cutter I can't go back! My Hypertherm cuts 1/2" clean, stainless, hardened steel - hold me back! My orphan abrasive chop saw is gathering dust and rust in the barn?!)

JKJ
    John, the folks on Welding Web have been very helpful to me over the years.

RE multi-process machines, a the recommendation of my local welding shop I purchased a Lincoln 210MP a couple of years ago. I’ve been very pleased with it. It replaced an older Miller 130 MIG and a Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC stick welder. The built in settings are spot on and I find that I can set the machine one time up front and I don’t have to readjust the settings while MIG welding.

The only thing that is goofy is that it does not like 6010 rod. Lincoln does not recommend it and it just welds funny. Must be something about the inverter technology. On MIG it handles .023, .030 and 035 hard wire very well.

I have not tried the DC TIG with the 210 because I have a Syncrowave 250DX for TIG work. What I’ve heard about the DC TIG has been positive though.

IF you consider a new multi-process machine be sure to check out the 210 MP.