Thread: Clifton Planes

Clifton Planes

The human mind is a wonderful thing, if you want it to, it can rationalize almost anything. Let's see if I can set up the story: I'm going through my annual or even shorter push to "clean the shop out" to get back to just the tools I need and use. Yep, Bubba, sure you will do that just like the last time. Only this time I mean it, really, pinky swear it will happen, mean it.

In looking at my tools and trying to decide which ones will end up on the Ark and which will go I realized there wasn't a Clifton plane in the lot of 'em. How could I make a decision as important as who stays and who gets thrown overboard without having tried one of the major players? Good question with only one answer. "Hello Tools For Working Wood could you send a #4 Clifton down Tucson way". BTW, I've already sent my Veritas planes down the plank. They are nice, beautifully made planes but I just can't develop any love for Norris adjusters and I have really tried.

cliftonPlanes.jpg

It is a nice plane. Better than the other two, not really, just a little different and not much of that. Of the three it is the heaviest at a 2137 grams, the LN with a Veritas O1 cutter weights 2001 grams, and of course the Stanley with a Japanese iron is the lightest at 1654 grams.

I like the "bun" knob on the Clifton and the plane feels good, if a little heavy, in hand. Its one advantage over LN is a OEM O1 cutter. For some of us that is a big advantage.

ken

Blog Entries
    Its one advantage over LN is a OEM O1 cutter. For some of us that is a big advantage.
    Since my use of oilstones has increased my appreciation of O1 steel has also increased.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Looks the handle is way more upright on the Clifton, which I may like.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Since my use of oilstones has increased my appreciation of O1 steel has also increased.

jtk
    Jim,

Because most of the iron in my shop is O1, with the exception of Japanese white paper chisels and it is much the same just harder, I use Oil Stones most of the time. In reality just as sharp and just as fast as artificial water stones with less mess and monkey motion. The one big exception is using JNats on my Japanese chisels but that is kinda like ordering a Bohemia with your fish tacos .

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Johnson View Post
    Looks the handle is way more upright on the Clifton, which I may like.
    Nathan,

You may be correct, it is hard to tell because it has a different shape and is thicker. Whatever it is comfortable for the little bit I've used it but then so is the Stanley and the LN. I'm not much of a princess, the pea doesn't bother me. Been that way most of my life, a tool has to be really uncomfortable for me to notice. It was the same with airplanes, I'd hear folks complaining about how an airplane handled, my reply was always just point the nose in the right direction and get there. Works almost every time.

ken

Handle looks familiar...
    DSCF0006.JPG
    Millers Falls No.9, type 4

Yes a little heavy but that helps carry through the stroke. Front knob brass screw sits proud, had to grind down all three so it didn't wear a hole in my hand. Now they are perfect. The adjustment is superb, very well made.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    The human mind is a wonderful thing, if you want it to, it can rationalize almost anything. Let's see if I can set up the story: I'm going through my annual or even shorter push to "clean the shop out" to get back to just the tools I need and use. Yep, Bubba, sure you will do that just like the last time. Only this time I mean it, really, pinky swear it will happen, mean it.

In looking at my tools and trying to decide which ones will end up on the Ark and which will go I realized there wasn't a Clifton plane in the lot of 'em. How could I make a decision as important as who stays and who gets thrown overboard without having tried one of the major players? Good question with only one answer. "Hello Tools For Working Wood could you send a #4 Clifton down Tucson way". BTW, I've already sent my Veritas planes down the plank. They are nice, beautifully made planes but I just can't develop any love for Norris adjusters and I have really tried.

cliftonPlanes.jpg

It is a nice plane. Better than the other two, not really, just a little different and not much of that. Of the three it is the heaviest at a 2137 grams, the LN with a Veritas O1 cutter weights 2001 grams, and of course the Stanley with a Japanese iron is the lightest at 1654 grams.

I like the "bun" knob on the Clifton and the plane feels good, if a little heavy, in hand. Its one advantage over LN is a OEM O1 cutter. For some of us that is a big advantage.

ken
    I've got a soft spot for the Clifton. I do not own a Veritas plane although I have quite a bit of other Veritas gear. It's the ductile iron, the adjuster and the overall construction that for one reason or another do not gel with me.

Hmm...wondering IF Cliffton stole the idea about their lever cap...from Millers Falls?

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Jim,

Because most of the iron in my shop is O1, with the exception of Japanese white paper chisels and it is much the same just harder, I use Oil Stones most of the time. In reality just as sharp and just as fast as artificial water stones with less mess and monkey motion. The one big exception is using JNats on my Japanese chisels but that is kinda like ordering a Bohemia with your fish tacos .

ken
    Ken,
    Speaking of fish tacos and knowing you're in Tucson, I hope you eat often at one of the Mariscos Chihuahua restaurants. My 2nd biggest regret living in Tucson for five and a half years was that I didn't discover their excellent Mexican seafood sooner! :0) My biggest regret was moving back to Austin. Tucson is the best place I've ever lived. My apologies for getting the thread off track.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Manning View Post
    Ken,
    Speaking of fish tacos and knowing you're in Tucson, I hope you eat often at one of the Mariscos Chihuahua restaurants. My 2nd biggest regret living in Tucson for five and a half years was that I didn't discover their excellent Mexican seafood sooner! :0) My biggest regret was moving back to Austin. Tucson is the best place I've ever lived. My apologies for getting the thread off track.

Mike
    Mike,

No problem. I had fish tacos at the Mariscos Chihuahua just off Speedway by the deaf and blind school on my home from work last Thursday. I did pass on the Bohemia because I had work to do in the shop once home. They sure were good. Of course I'd trade 'em for some Luling Market BBQ any day.

It is a good place to live, big enough to have everything you need but still a small town and we are in the good WX time. Cool crisp mornings, midday temp perfect for outdoor work, and beautiful sunsets with a cool crisp evening and night.

My shop is always open to visitors.

ken

ken