Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vectric VCarve Pro - Computer Question

Question Vectric VCarve Pro - Computer Question

Is there any benefit or use to a touch screen while using software like VCarve Pro? Wasn’t sure but wanted to know since I’m looking at windows machines. Thanks.

Ive used VCPro for 13 years and havent found a need, in fact the opposite may be true as there is a much higher level of positioning precision with a mouse or trackball (my favorite)

A number of Aspire users that create models from scratch have found that a Wacom tablet helps them generate organic shaped vectors in a more "natural" way.
    Gary Campbell
    CNC Replacement & Upgrade Controllers
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

One more question.

Any benefit to one direction or the other processor wise between an i5 10210U 10th gen intel versus a Ryzen 5 3500U 2nd gen AMD.

Im thinking about going with a 14” laptop for portability and plugging into an HDMI 23” monitor when better view is needed.

I can't comment on the processor comparison as I haven't owned a machine with an AMD processor in a very long time, to the best of my knowledge. But an i5 or equivalent or better is perfectly fine with VCP. My personal preference is for at least 8GB RAM and an SSD for storage. Those two things make the processor side less important, especially the SSD, as it greatly speeds up transitory storage access which in turn makes the machine fly. When I added the SSD to my old Mid-2010 iMac, it was like a new machine...actually better than new.

The larger monitor will only give you a "bigger" view unless it can also support higher resolution than the screen on your laptop. I just upgraded the screen for my CNC computer in the shop from the default 19"/20" 1080 that came with it to a 25" 2550x1440 capable screen that effectively gives me almost four times the view as the original screen does. So check the specifications for the 23" monitor you have to understand what you actually have. The more pixels, the easier it will be to work at the detail level.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I some times use a netbook with vcarve pro and it runs ok. My design computer is an I3 that has 8 gigs of ram and never needed more

There website says minimum requirement is a 2 gigahertz or higher multicore processor. Is that true? Would this computer work well or should I push further up to a higher megahertz processor?

129366AA-B241-413A-84B3-56D11182A502.jpg

My CNC control computer is a pentium d 2.8 with 4 gigs of ram that I have Aspire on and it runs it ok Vcarve doesn't need as much as Aspire

I’m Sorry to say that I don’t know how to interpret that.

Your gigz speed is higher. But I’m guessing the processor is older. So does that mean the one I pictured will work or is a higher gigz required as they indicate on vectric website?
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 10-08-2019 at 3:52 PM.

Just try downloading the working demo and play with it. You can do about anything except make your cut file and you can save it and when you buy a working copy your saved file should work.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    There website says minimum requirement is a 2 gigahertz or higher multicore processor. Is that true? Would this computer work well or should I push further up to a higher megahertz processor?

129366AA-B241-413A-84B3-56D11182A502.jpg

Yes, the i7 is only one step down from the (new) highest level i9 processors that were recently introduced. Back when there were only a couple of cores in a processor, you wanted a higher clock rate. Now that you have more than that generally, there's less sensitivity. That one has 4 cores...so it's kinda like having 4 processors in a very generic and over-simplified explanation. The 8GB RAM and 512GB SSD will also serve you well.
    --

Thanks Jim. If I’m understanding what I’m reading, unlike when I bought my last computer, today the laptop cpus are rated at a base level and the software increases their performance as needed. The one in this laptop says 1.8 base with 4.6 max via turbo mode.

Last computer i bought the processors were rated for gigahertz in the hardware at hardware at time of purchase. Guess that’s not the approach any longer.

and as FYI they have 10th gen I7 and I5 laptops at bestbuy now but the price per spec was better on the 8th gen. Only 9th gen I saw were a couple of gaming laptops. It’s like they really went from 8th to 10th.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 10-08-2019 at 10:54 PM.

My experience with vcarve pro even the low powered older computers will run it and only slows down when they are simulating the toolpaths in the preview. Some very slow computers will hangup on too complicated toolpaths but most any of the newer mid range and up computers should run it fine. I've used old laptops and desktops.

Sounds like this one will work just fine then. Only thing I may do is add another 8 gig memory stick. Thanks guys.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 10-08-2019 at 10:56 PM.

Yes, it will run just fine, Greg. 8GB is fine, but there's zero harm in adding another 8GB. I just added 4GB to my CNC Windows machine and it cost me a whole $23 for the stick...name brand Crucial, too. RAM is very inexpensive these days.
    --

I ended up exchanging the HP unopened and picking up an open box Dell Inspiron 15 7000 with better specs for less than the cost of upgrading the memory in the HP. This one has a 15.6" 4k screen, Nvidia MX250 video card, 16 gig ram, 8th gen i7 chip and 512gig SSD drive. Also included a Dell pen for the touch screen. Just got it setup with a trial copy of Vcarve Pro and it's very, very fast. Hopefully this will allow me to retire the 9+ year 27" imac and maybe get as many years out of this one. Maybe. LOL

I'll set it up with a wireless keyboard, mouse and 23" monitor, but will be able to move it around as a tablet/laptop as needed too. I'm not much into computers anymore these days but am excited to have a fast system for a little while...…… until time and updates start to bog this one down too.