Thread: 100% silicon question

100% silicon question

Trying to McGyver a temporary closure for my 3 gallon auxiliary fuel cell. The original is somewhere along the highway in South Dakota. Anyone know if cured silicon is impervious to gasoline?
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Blog Entries
    In my experience silicone sealant is not resistant to gasoline.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I don't think anything is gasoline proof. I think the most resistant is Permatex 85420. It's a polyester urethane sealant.

Thanks, using a different sealing method.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Not recommended and any sealent is not pure silicone so even less resistant.
    Urethane is good but again any sealer is not pure.

Bill D
    https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/s...ce-d_1879.html

I could not show a link to warco which has a better table.

Silicone (Poly methyl siloxane) is attacked by gasoline and swells as much as 100%. As soon as the gas evaporates and is gone from the molecular structure it will return to the original size. For resistance to gasoline and petroleum based products you need flourosilicone. It is far more expensive than silicone and is much harder to find in an RTV.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

polyprotech gas tank adhesive will work; can't recommend a source in the U.S. though

Mark