Thread: Precision Gloat

Precision Gloat

Happened upon this unicorn at the local flea market today. As far as I could tell, it's never been touched. Seller asked for $75, not to be rude, I countered with an offer of $65 and we head a deal. Ironically, after 20 odd years in the shop, I was finally entertaining the idea of buying a new Starrett combo square.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Johnny ,where in the heck do you shop ? I would have snapped that up too,even though I have one already.

Congrats, that is a great deal on a great combo square.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

That's a nice unit. I think I came upon mine in a similar way, although not with the box nor the fancier piece you show installed on the rule. The rule is "crisp" and although I don't use the original rule much, having converted largely to metric, I pull it out without hesitation when I need that scale. (I use a metric replacement from Lee Valley in the Starrett body)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Beautiful find!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Well played sir.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Great bargain! I am not jealous.....
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Johnny, That is the same set I bought myself when I got out of the service and was working in a tool room.

When you loosen the knurled nut to slide the rule either out, or in, always loosen the nut a turn and a half, then push on the nut as you move the rule.
    This will push the rule away from the surface it rests on and prevent wear, thus putting the square out of square.

A Great deal on a great piece of gear!

Several years back, at local flea market, I bought a Brown and Sharpe machinest square for ten bucks. Vendor told me I was lucky, because if it had been a Stanley. cost would have been $20. Every time I use it, I silently laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by michael langman View Post
    Johnny, That is the same set I bought myself when I got out of the service and was working in a tool room.

When you loosen the knurled nut to slide the rule either out, or in, always loosen the nut a turn and a half, then push on the nut as you move the rule.
    This will push the rule away from the surface it rests on and prevent wear, thus putting the square out of square.
    I'll definitely tru and keep that in mind.