Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weather station, any favorites?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    What a timely thread! A weather station has been on my wish list for a long time. here's what I want:

1. No computer required. I want it to connect to Weather Underground so I can see it from anywhere. My router is upstairs and the inside unit would be downstairs so wifi is a must.
    2. I want to see current precip in inches/hour or something.
    3. The outdoor unit needs to be wireless and solar powered. I plan on putting a mast on my grandson's playset. No wires out there.
    The Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2 with their Weather Link Live to connect it to the Internet without requiring a computer connection. It's a great solution. Here's a link to my wife's weather station site: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KWINORTH14.

Scott

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Mahany View Post
    I have an AcuRite 01536-RX and want to upgrade to something more accurate. I like the features but this model just doesn't like the desert. It often forecasts rain when it is bone dry for weeks so we just ignore that part of the display. The temperature is often 5-7˚ F above the actual temp in the daytime , so I know the radiation shield isn't effective. Maybe the AW model referenced above would be a good choice for a reasonable cost.
    They make an upgrade kit for the fans that are supposed to keep the ambient temperature reading closer to reality. It may not fit all models.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I have had the Davis Vantage Vue since 2009 and love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    What a timely thread! A weather station has been on my wish list for a long time. here's what I want:

1. No computer required. I want it to connect to Weather Underground so I can see it from anywhere. My router is upstairs and the inside unit would be downstairs so wifi is a must.
    2. I want to see current precip in inches/hour or something.
    3. The outdoor unit needs to be wireless and solar powered. I plan on putting a mast on my grandson's playset. No wires out there.
    I have no experience with brands other than Ambient Weather. Would this one check your boxes?
    https://www.ambientweather.com/amws1500.html

Tried new batteries in all the old LaCrosse sensors to no avail, so I ended up getting the Ambient Weather 2902, found it $10 cheaper on ebay, and still got it in 2 days (I like ebay because they take paypal, I wish Amazon would)...

I really like the thing, the in color monitor is nice. A lot smaller than my LaCrosse but the easy-to-read-ness makes up for it.

It's not perfect, I still would prefer all-separate sensors rather than the all-in-one, if only to get the temp sensor out of the direct sun, this unit does read a bit higher than it should, IMO anyway.

About my only other gripe is, the LaCrosse showed average AND gust wind speeds at the same time, this unit is either-or. However, today we had some good breeze, and it picked up max gust of near 19mph, and max average of 14.5mph- In the several years I owned the LaCrosse the all-time max gust was 39mph, and I KNOW that was off!

The new unit also has UVI and 'light intensity' readings the old unit didn't have. I need to learn about the 'light' reading, not sure what it's telling me yet

Haven't connected to wifi yet, still need to try that, maybe I'll get both wind-speed meters?

For the money, I'm very pleased with it. Long term testing in progress...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Kev, does this device have an I.P. address on your network? I have a different Ambient Weather device that uses their internet bridge thingy. I'm able to log into said internet bridge thingy and find several pages. One is corrections/offsets. I have several airports that report weather nearby and was able to add temperature/dewpoint offsets so that the Ambient Weather device closely parallels what the airports are reporting. Best time to do this is pre-dawn so solar heating is minimized.

Now, you guys have done it. I really want a weather station.

How far off the ground have you mounted a weather station?

How close do you need yourself wifi router?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post

They can be rather addictive... Ours is mounted on a pole on our roof so it is about 30 feet above ground level. My house is on a hill, so it is probably 50 feet or so over the average terrain in our area.

Blog Entries
    I purchased the AcuRite WS 1516 with the optional remote battery pack for the 5 in 1 sensor unit and it arrived in 2 days. Installation was straight forward even though my mounting required me to get on a ladder. The only problem was the display unit that came with mine had the clear plastic frame installed backwards so it wouldn't mount in the stand correctly. After a couple of emails back and forth and some detailed photos sent to show the exact nature of the problem the company is shipping me a complete new display panel. I think the wind speed reads a little low, but part of that could be my mounting location which is only 3 feet above the peak of the roof of my garage. The color lighted display is easy to read, though I wish it would turn off at night.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    Here is a link to Weatherunderground's weather station recommendations: https://www.wunderground.com/pws/buying-guide
    NOW you tell me...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    The color lighted display is easy to read, though I wish it would turn off at night.
    The Accurite I have has a setting which automatically dims the display at night.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post

Last year I put up a 12' mast, connected to the chimney, to mount a Wilson cellphone booster antenna to, thought that would be a good place for my weather sensors
    ws.jpg

--haven't touched the wifi instructions yet, need to do that!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I had a cheap Lacrosse unit that lasted decades. About 5 years ago it died so I figured i would replace it. Lacrosse doesn't seam to be an expensive brand but not cheap either. This time around I went with one that had more functions like measuring rainfall and wind. About a year after putting it up I notice what I though was a broken egg on the ground. Turned out the cups on the wind sensor broke off so it became just a weather vane. Then the rainfall sensor died. When the batteries in the transmitter die I have to replace them and then remove the batteries from the main unit otherwise it will not recognize the transmitter. That means going through and reprogramming it. To get to the wind sensor I need a 36' ladder so I haven't replaced it yet (I also think my trees block the wind enough to make accurate readings impossible). But when I do replace it I'm thinking of going with a different brand.