Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weather station, any favorites?

Weather station, any favorites?

I've had a fairly decent LaCrosse for several years now, too old as to internet/wifi but that's not been a problem... has wireless sensors, all separate which I like, but it's starting to act up, not getting readings to the base unit after new batteries, etc. So I'm looking for another one.

I've liked the LaCross, it's actually my second one, first one was similar to this one, but both had the same issue: the wind speed almost always reads about half of actual windspeed. Other than that no real complaints. I LIKE the separate sensors, I have the wind gauge on a mast on the roof, the rain gauge is sitting on a cinderblock wall totally unobstructed by anything, and the temp/humid gauge I have parked in spot where it never gets hit by direct sunlight. These days, all I can seem to find are all-in-one units. I have to ask, how do you get a good temp reading with the sun bearing down on the gauge? Before moving my current one into all shade I was getting readings over 100° on 80° days. I'll assume the makers are adjusting for that--

As for full-on stations Amazon has the basics I recognize like LaCrosse and AcuRite, and some I don't know like Davis, Ecowitt, Ambient Weather, Weatherflow, ProWeatherStation... As to reviews, Ambient Weather seems to be the only one with more than a few dozen reviews to push past 4 stars. First vid clip of an AcuRite I saw was a guy throwing his second failed sensor unit off his roof ...

I'm liking the Ambient Weather 2902 model, price is okay at around $160, I like what I see and read about it. Curious of other's experiences before I click any 'buy' buttons
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Kev, I have the AW 2902A and really like it but have nothing else to compare it to as it is my first weather station. The temp sensor is located out of the direct sunlight and has been accurate when compared to local weather reports. All the sensors work well but wish the wind gauge was a little less sensitive as it shows every little variance in direction. I do use the online feature (wifi) to track weather events over the day/week/month and wish there was some way to measure snow!! I know there are other weather stations available but I think the AW 2902A does everything the more expensive stations do and the price is easier on the pocketbook. Good luck finding what works for you! If you have any questions, please ask.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I also have a LaCrosse. I haven’t had any problems with it and like that you can buy extra temp/humidity modules and place them where you want wirelessly. However, it is lacking in long term data collection, IMO.
    I have been looking at the Davis Instruments 6250 Vantage Vue. I will probably pop for it before the weather turns cold. It’s a little pricey compared to the LaCrosse but has good reviews and much better data retention. A friend of mine also speaks highly of it.

https://www.amazon.com/Davis-Instrum.../dp/B002LLVFK0
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    I have the Acurite 02064CDI. I don’t have it linked to my computer as it is too far from my computer but it is WiFi capable. Rain gage is spot on with a second digital gage. On cloudy or windy days temp is within one degree of a second gage. Calm sunny days it reads high. Wind velocity seems low compared to other local stations. Max recorded in 2 years is only 39 mph when 60 mph wind was reported. I have the sensor mounted 5’ above my roof line. Curious, are you planning on joining the Weatherbug or Weatherunderground network?

We have an Ambient Weather WS - 900 IP, had it for a couple years. We did have the wind/rain unit replaced under warranty. We have it 'talking' to Weather Underground so have records going back I guess to when we installed it. I can also check the weather in our backyard from pretty much anywhere in the world, keep track of rainfall etc. A pair of lithium batteries last at least a year in the outdoor devices, I replaced them in last fall and will do so again this fall just for luck. I wanted something I could connect to the internet without involving a PC, this device accomplishes that. I've had good luck with other AcuRite devices, don't know much about their weather stations.

This is an older unit, don't know about the newer devices. https://www.ambientweather.com/amws0900iparray.html

Blog Entries
    I have a Lacrosse ws1516-IT that I've had for at least 10 years. Just a month ago it quit transmitting temp and humidity. Lacrosse no longer supports it. I purchased a used system from Ebay, but it arrived with corroded batteries in the transmitter. I hot a full refund and then located a new transmitter, that arrived this week. Unfortunately the new transmitter doesn't work so it s going back.

I've been looking at the AcuRite 01512 Wireless Weather Station since it has decent reviews. If I order it I will also purchase the remote battery pack for the unit so I don't have to climb a ladder to replace batteries.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 10-05-2019 at 8:26 PM.

My old LaCrosse is a WS2813-U IT, just checked Amazon and was surprised to see they're still selling the exact same unit-
    https://www.amazon.com/Crosse-Techno.../dp/B005MEE8H0

- and like mine, it's still a stand-alone, no wifi or internet. It does run on a computer though, but I never quite got the hang of setting up the computer program, instructions assume I'm not feeble minded ..

And the ones I'm looking at are cheaper- but are they 'cheaper'? I like the internet capabilities, sounds interesting. But not sure I'll be able to make use of it; I use Ooma for my 'wired' phone service, and for it to work decent the 'Telo' must be connected 'in front' of my wifi router- modem/Ooma/router. Everything works great this way EXCEPT for my Samsung security cameras. The Telo is also a router, but no matter what I try using it's IP addresses and protocols, I cannot get my camera's to connect to Samsung's website. If I take Ooma out of the loop everything works fine. If I put Ooma BEHIND the router- modem/router/Ooma, everything works fine, but then phone calls become non-prioritized and calls sound like someone's constantly dropping marbles onto guitar strings the whole time. So, I do without online cameras. Just wondering if I'll have the same problem with a weather station...
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

Hi Kev

The internet box - I think they call it a bridge - plugs directly into a router LAN port. I guess there's a security risk plugging something like that into your network, I try to keep the firmware recent, it's pretty easy to update. I may have to power cycle the devices 'talking' to the bridge after an update.

I have an old AcuRite that works well. The outdoor sensor is shielded from the sun and seems to be accurate. To be honest all I use it for is to check the outdoor temp and humidity when I make coffee in the morning. I have an app called Dark Sky on my phone that is alarmingly accurate. It includes radar, satellite, etc.. Everything is based on your GPS coordinates. Temp is identical to my weather station and when it says "rain in five minutes", you get rain in five minutes.

main-iphone8plus.png
    Last edited by Rob Luter; 10-06-2019 at 9:38 AM.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I'll have to check into that Dark Sky--

Thanks everyone for the input!
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    I'll have to check into that Dark Sky--

Thanks everyone for the input!
    I downloaded it yesterday after reading Rob's post. It looks pretty cool. So far temp & wind speed readings are spot on with my weather station. It'll be interesting when some stormy weather moves in.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I just did too, it is pretty cool, I'll be keeping it handy on my computer at least! I have an in/out thermometer with the outside probe on the north side of the garage shop in the shade, I'm showing 57 to their 61, but that's a reasonable spread considering. I like the overall layout, easy to read and make sense of--
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

I bought my wife the wireless Davis Vantage Pro 2 a while back. She is a weather geek and she loves it. It logs everything and she can access it all from anywhere. It also connects to the Weather Underground network and appears in all of their NWS data. It wasn't cheap, but it wasn't ridiculously expensive, either.

Scott

I have an AcuRite 01536-RX and want to upgrade to something more accurate. I like the features but this model just doesn't like the desert. It often forecasts rain when it is bone dry for weeks so we just ignore that part of the display. The temperature is often 5-7˚ F above the actual temp in the daytime , so I know the radiation shield isn't effective. Maybe the AW model referenced above would be a good choice for a reasonable cost.
    Dick Mahany.

Blog Entries
    What a timely thread! A weather station has been on my wish list for a long time. here's what I want:

1. No computer required. I want it to connect to Weather Underground so I can see it from anywhere. My router is upstairs and the inside unit would be downstairs so wifi is a must.
    2. I want to see current precip in inches/hour or something.
    3. The outdoor unit needs to be wireless and solar powered. I plan on putting a mast on my grandson's playset. No wires out there.