Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I love harbor freight

Blog Entries
    Just in the last week I have used their chain saw sharpener and their circular saw blade sharpener. I also have their 1-1/8” sds hammer drill and pneumatic stapler. All of which I couldn’t justify if buying name brand.

I bought the 10 amp HF hammer drill a few years ago. It uses the SKS type bits. I've drilled holes with it but have used it more as a demolition hammer. It has a mode where it just hammers, does not rotate. I took down a chimney with it, about 10 feet of brick veneer, a shower that was concrete on metal mesh and another bathroom floor. I leaks grease out around the bit but that is my only complaint. It isn't a terrible leak but it makes your hands black if you handle the bit. It is also heavy. The weight is a good thing if you're making a hole. You can just let it hammer until the hole is as deep as you want it. Most recently I made a 6 inch hole for the exhaust from my HF 2 hp DC (by making lots of smaller holes).

I was using it to break up bricks as a contractor removed them from my garage wall (they were demoing it so they could add another stall for my shop). They commented my HF was more powerful than their Bosch.

I have not used a HF tool I would call really nice but there are a lot of HF tools that get the job done just fine. They do sell some junk but it seems like they are getting better. I like the stores - except I always come out with more than I went there for.

I just bought their cordless ratchet. I'm happy with it. Their newer lines power tools are a little closer to regular prices, but seem to be fairly well built. I'll remain a snob for my professional gear, but I'll definitely check HF out for my weekend warrior gear.

When I was getting ready to install the wood floor in my shop, they had the flooring stapler for 90.79. So I bought it, used it, and it still worked when I was finished. A lot of their merchandise has improved over the years. Used to think you had to pay through the nose for air nailers, not so any more.

I bought one of their electric impacts years ago to do suspension work on an old Porsche. Sold the car and haven’t used the tool since but it worked fine and was only about $40.00

I can't really say "I love Harbor Freight"......but...I do sure as heck appreciate Harbor Freight.
    I buy their sale stuff all the time since it's good value. Small stuff like cable ties, chip brushes, acid brushes, single edge razor blades, utility knife blades, 1/8" drill bits, some pneumatic tools,,,,
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

I have to go there today to get some cut off wheels

Like others have stated, they do have some "gems", along with the stinkers.
    I have bought a few tools from them with no apparent issues. Mostly I buy stuff from them to work on cars/trucks.
    Some of their air tools are decent, but their air fittings air ,not so good. The NPT threads are cut too deep/long and they don't tighten up correctly.They used to have an inline pneumatic oiler that was pretty slick, but I haven't seen it there for a long time. There pneumatic brake evacuator is worth every bit of what they charged. For a couple of plastic bottles, a plastic vacuum turbine, and some hose, that thing is really slick!!
    I bought a low profile aluminum car jack that keeps doing what it's supposed to. I needed it to get under the frame of our Mini Coopers. I also have one of their 1/2 ton chain falls.

I hear you guys about the packing grease smell in their stores. It's pretty strong. Never noticed it at Tractor Supply though.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    I just bought their cordless ratchet. I'm happy with it. Their newer lines power tools are a little closer to regular prices, but seem to be fairly well built. I'll remain a snob for my professional gear, but I'll definitely check HF out for my weekend warrior gear.
    I think that's the proper way to view Harbor Freight goods. I don't buy Harbor Freight if I need durability or precision but if I need a lot of clamps like for a bent laminate glue-up, HF F style clamps work pretty well and for reasonable $. I did buy a random orbit polisher from Harbor Freight and it works okay but it's loud and kinda crude.

Has anyone bought their 21* framing nailer. I am up in the air over theirs or the NuMax nailer for 79.95 on Amazon. I am leaning towards the HF nailer though.

I don't know if it's the 21 framing hammer but my HF frammer had got me through a couple of additions and a remodeling job. Pretty much went through a large box of nails, all without a single jam. It's heavy but it works and works and works.

Thanks Terry. I know HF sells a couple of different framing nailers. I think the Banks and the Chicago pneumatic. I am looking at the Banks, if I have the name correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by michael langman View Post
    Has anyone bought their 21* framing nailer. I am up in the air over theirs or the NuMax nailer for 79.95 on Amazon. I am leaning towards the HF nailer though.
    If you just have that "one job", and maybe some small repairs, I would try the HF nailer.
    The online reviews it gets are positive, but the knock is longevity of the seals, even when stored properly. It's also nice to keep the receipt in your pocket and take it back if it fails, and get another one to keep going and finish the project.
    If you're looking for an all day, every day, nailer,,, I don't think HF would be my first choice.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I bought their reciprocating saw to saw two eight foot Al garage doors into three pieces to go out for recycling. It just barely did the job. The gears were striping before the end. I had to twist and bead/break the last six inches or so. They did replace it for me. I found a deal on a Sears(porter cable) one and gave the unused HF one to my brother
    Bill D..

We think alike Mike. I just don't know how lucky I feel sometimes. I will have to drive 45 minutes to replace it if it fails.
    I only have a few sheds and an overhang to reinforce, so I think I will just give it a try.