Thread: Grizzly G0800 and Robust Tool Rest

Grizzly G0800 and Robust Tool Rest

Does anyone know if a Robust tool rest is high enough in the banjo of a Grizzly G0800 lathe? Thanks.

Well, Brent has a wide variety of post lengths. Not sure if he has a special one for the Grizzly or not. Ask him...

robo hippy

3. Ed, I have the G0800 and 6 Robust toolrests. For this combination lathe and the Robust rests, you need a total height of 8-3/4" from the top of the rest where the gouge sits to the bottom of the posts. Some people make the mistake of just ordering a "long post" rest from Robust, which is 7-1/4" total height. What you need is the "custom rest" with total height of 8.75" top of rail to bottom of post.........trust me, this is correct and exactly what you need.

If you already have the long post rests, I would ask Brent if I could send them back, and get the custom rest at 8.75" total height, and if you can't do that, a lot of folks will take interest in long post Robust rests because they will fit a lot of lathes out there, like the 3520b and others. Try to sell them.......that is what I did with the ones I had for my G0698 18/47 lathe, when I got my G0766 to replace it. Those 8-3/4" rests were also perfect for my G0800 because the stock rest that came with the G0800 is 8-3/4" total height.

Good luck!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I just recently ordered on for my G0766. I spoke with them on the phone and they made one for me at 8.75". There was no additional charge; just a bit of a longer wait on delivery. Came quickly though.

Rodger & Tom - thanks for the feedback. I bought two of the long post rests at the Mid Atlantic Symposium yesterday. Seeing your replies today, I was able to return them and order the custom length rests. You saved me from having to ship them back.

If you couldn't return them any competent welder could extend them. Another option would be (if you have the skills) to drill and tap the bottom of the of the rest and add an extension. A grade 8 1/2 bolt would be more than strong enough to do this. However it would be easier to just sell it and buy a new one.