Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Fusion 360 Tutorial

Looking for Fusion 360 Tutorial

I'm not a fan of on-line tutorials, so I'm looking for a printed version to teach me the basics of Fusion 360, enough to know whether it's worth the effort to convert from SketchUp. My ultimate goal is being able to produce files compatible with a CNC machine and rendering. Anyone used a print version tutorial they were pleased with?

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    I'm not a fan of on-line tutorials, so I'm looking for a printed version to teach me the basics of Fusion 360, enough to know whether it's worth the effort to convert from SketchUp. My ultimate goal is being able to produce files compatible with a CNC machine and rendering. Anyone used a print version tutorial they were pleased with?

John
    John, if. You don稚 mind I知 going to add on to your request....

Can anybody advise what are the easiest Cad programs to learn that will create 3D drawings that can be converted into g-code for a CNC mill?

John
    Hi John,

Autodesk has written documentation for Fusion 360. I assume by "printed version" that reading it on you computer screen would be acceptable (as opposed to actually printed on paper). You could print it all out if you wanted to. There is a book available on Amazon that you may find helpful as well. The title is "Fusion 360 For Makers". I bought the Kindle version last year and found it useful for getting an introduction to Fusion 360. I was pleased with both of these.

Let me know if you have specific questions about Fusion 360 as it pertains to creating the 3D drawings/parts and creating the tool paths to generate the G-code to run your cnc router.

David

http://help.autodesk.com/view/fusion360/ENU/?guid=GUID-1C665B4D-7BF7-4FDF-98B0-AA7EE12B5AC2

https://www.amazon.com/Fusion-360-Makers-Printing-Fabrication/dp/1680453556

Fusion 360 Product Documentation.jpg Fusion 360 For Makers on Amazon.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by David Buchhauser; 10-05-2019 at 12:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott T Smith View Post
    John, if. You don稚 mind I知 going to add on to your request....

Can anybody advise what are the easiest Cad programs to learn that will create 3D drawings that can be converted into g-code for a CNC mill?
    Hi Scott,

I don't think that any of the CAD programs are necessarily easy. There is definitely a "learning curve" with any of them. I have been using MasterCAM version 9.1 for the last 16 years to create programs to run my CNC Mill and CNC Lathe. I normally do the design work in AutoCAD first, then export as a dxf file and import into MasterCAM to run the tool paths. I have also used Solid Works to create parts drawings, then imported into Fusion 360 to create the tool paths and do the post processing. I also use VCarve Pro for making parts on my cnc router. VCarve Pro is probably the easiest program to learn and use - but it is intended mainly for wood parts on cnc routers.

What kind of cnc mill do you have, and what kind of parts do you want to make? Considering the cost of these programs (MasterCAM - 5K, Solid Works about the same, VCarve Pro - $699, Fusion 360 - FREE) I would really recommend Fusion 360. Once you get past the initial learning curve, it is really pretty simple to use and there are plenty of really good Fusion 360 tutorials on Youtube. I would be happy to recommend some of them to you if you are interested.

David

John,

This is one I've seen recommended elsewhere, but I don't have it. There is a sample chapter you can download for free, so you might be able to get an idea whether it would suit your needs or not.

https://nostarch.com/cad

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by David Buchhauser View Post
    Hi Scott,

I don't think that any of the CAD programs are necessarily easy. There is definitely a "learning curve" with any of them. I have been using MasterCAM version 9.1 for the last 16 years to create programs to run my CNC Mill and CNC Lathe. I normally do the design work in AutoCAD first, then export as a dxf file and import into MasterCAM to run the tool paths. I have also used Solid Works to create parts drawings, then imported into Fusion 360 to create the tool paths and do the post processing. I also use VCarve Pro for making parts on my cnc router. VCarve Pro is probably the easiest program to learn and use - but it is intended mainly for wood parts on cnc routers.

What kind of cnc mill do you have, and what kind of parts do you want to make? Considering the cost of these programs (MasterCAM - 5K, Solid Works about the same, VCarve Pro - $699, Fusion 360 - FREE) I would really recommend Fusion 360. Once you get past the initial learning curve, it is really pretty simple to use and there are plenty of really good Fusion 360 tutorials on Youtube. I would be happy to recommend some of them to you if you are interested.

David
    David, thanks for the info. I知 looking at an older Mori-seiki 3hp vertical mill with a Milltronics controller. (G code) Software version is around 3.2. The mill can be operated either manually or as 3 axis CNC, which is appealing to me because all of my previous milling experience has been manual and there are times that I only want to use the mill for a 10 minute project. I currently own an old, tired Bridgeport clone that I intend to sell. Mainly I intend to use the Mill and CAD/CAM programs it for some R&D work on a couple of patent ideas that I have.

30 years ago I looked at Auto Cad, but the learning curve was a turn off. I知 trying to learn if any CAD programs have been developed that have a shorter learning curve. I may have to see if there is a CAD class at a local technical school, but I have so much going on at the farm setting aside a lot of hours to learn CAD is not a first choice.

It sounds like I may need to explore Fusion 360.

Scott

There are large numbers of videos on YouTube to explore, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    There are large numbers of videos on YouTube to explore, too.
    The best I've seen is Lars Christensen.

David
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

I purchased the Fusion 360 book in paper off Amazon listed above. I got a lot of flak for doing so, but I need a written reference and not spending 15 minutes watching a video. Sure as some complained it (the program) changes but the basics are still listed and are the same. Written by a lady up at the Engineering collage here in Iowa, just 30 minutes from my door. PS I learned ACAD Release 9 from a book back in 1992.

ISBN for book above: IBSN 978-1-68045-355-3
    Last edited by Bill George; 10-05-2019 at 2:15 PM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    I purchased the Fusion 360 book in paper off Amazon listed above. I got a lot of flak for doing so, but I need a written reference and not spending 15 minutes watching a video. Sure as some complained it (the program) changes but the basics are still listed and are the same. Written by a lady up at the Engineering collage here in Iowa, just 30 minutes from my door. PS I learned ACAD Release 9 from a book back in 1992.

ISBN for book above: IBSN 978-1-68045-355-3
    Hi Bill,
    Yes - I learned AutoCAD Release 14 from a book back in the late 90's as well. Same for MasterCAM 9.1 back in 2003-4. I have used some of the online tutorials for Solid Works as well as Fusion 360. I think that once you have become proficient with one cad program, it makes it easier and quicker to learn any of the others.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Scott T Smith View Post
    David, thanks for the info. I知 looking at an older Mori-seiki 3hp vertical mill with a Milltronics controller. (G code) Software version is around 3.2. The mill can be operated either manually or as 3 axis CNC, which is appealing to me because all of my previous milling experience has been manual and there are times that I only want to use the mill for a 10 minute project. I currently own an old, tired Bridgeport clone that I intend to sell. Mainly I intend to use the Mill and CAD/CAM programs it for some R&D work on a couple of patent ideas that I have.

30 years ago I looked at Auto Cad, but the learning curve was a turn off. I知 trying to learn if any CAD programs have been developed that have a shorter learning curve. I may have to see if there is a CAD class at a local technical school, but I have so much going on at the farm setting aside a lot of hours to learn CAD is not a first choice.

It sounds like I may need to explore Fusion 360.

Scott
    Hi Scott,

My cnc machining centers (mill and lathe) can also be used in manual mode with the digital readouts active. I have used them this way occasionally for certain tasks. Bridgeport used to have the "Easy Trak" add on for their conventional mills which allowed for "conversational" programming. You could basically draw your part on the screen and it would machine it for you. I don't know if something like that would be available for your machine as a retrofit - it might be worth looking into.

David

cnc mill.jpgcnc lathe.jpg

Thanks very much David. I had not seen that documentation from Autodesk on Fusion 360 before, only another set of on-line tutorials. I started going through those but the "instructor" glossed over too many important points and some of his comments must have been pertained to an earlier version because it was wrong with the version I just downloaded. Combined, that was just too much frustration. I learned SketchUp from a hardcopy; old school I guess, but I like to look at print, just easier for me, so I'll order the book you recommended and keep the online stuff for backup and expanded learning after I have learned the basics.

JOhn

Thanks very much Bill. I learned SketchUp from a book so I should be able to learn Fusion 360 from the one you recommend. Thanks.

John

Thanks Gary. Two to one for the other book so that's what I'll start with. I'll keep this one in mind, however.

John

Thanks very much Bill. I learned SketchUp from a book so I should be able to learn Fusion 360 from the one you recommend. Thanks.

John
    Just so there is no confusion, Bill and I have cited the same Fusion 360 book. The author is Lydia Sloan Cline. Fusion 360 For Makers. IBSN 978-1-68045-355-3
    You can get it in paperback or kindle.
    David