Thread: opinions on Shopbot Desktop

Blog Entries

opinions on Shopbot Desktop

I'm wanting to add a cnc router to my shop. I have been looing at the Shapeoko 3xxl as starter machine, as it is not too expensive, and if I find I need larger machine, I can more readily determine which way to go after experience with a machine.

nothing used has popped up recently and I was about to just pull the trigger, but my weekly craigslist review show a shopbot desktop for about half the current new price.
    But it is the std, 24x18 inch, not the max. and I'm questioning the size. less than quarter sheet of ply is limiting.

The price difference is about $1000 right now, Im assuming nothing but bear shopbot. (listing doesn't mention anything else)
    I know if I were to buy the shapeoko, I'd probably upgrade to real water cooled spindle and probably throw down for upgraded z. so price difference goes down to maybe $500 or less.

anyone have a shopbot desktop and want to chime in?
    thanks
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

It would be a really good idea to find out what features are included with the ShopBot Desktop. They are certainly an established company and build decent machines and yes, it's a step up from the Shapeoko, IMHO, in build, etc. Were I you, I'd contact the seller for more information so you know what you'd be buying and what comes with it so there are no surprises.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Shopbot has been around for a long time and builds quality machines. My biggest concern with the Desktop is the small bed size. I would find it very limiting.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Shopbot is a pretty big player in the CNC world and has been for awhile. I'd probably take one of them before the Shapeoko also. They have a huge user base and I believe that they are very active on their forum so good support should be there. It should be a good solid machine for what it is. It really comes down to what are you going to be doing with it. The size is limiting in one axis and you could tile thru the other axis but I would only consider that if it was going to be a rare occurence. It would get old really quick. I made do with a machine similar in size for quite a while and it was able to do everything that I needed it to do size wise.

It's my understanding that ShopBot sells more CNC machines than any other manufacturer in the world. ShopBot practically brought affordable CNC access to the masses, I purchased the PRT Alpha 48" by 96" model the first week they were shipping. It was an excellent workhorse and it is still running in my friends shop. I purchased another ShopBot PRT Alpha for the sign shop at Christopher Newport University and that machine has been just amazing producing thousands of signs for the University.

Ted Hall started ShopBot and is the owner, he is a great guy. I have had many occasions to talk to Ted at a number of ShopBot Jamborees and Camps. ShopBotters are top shelf folks always ready to help anyone who has a problem or to share their knowledge.

CamMaster is also a good company with excellent employees and a fine product line. We are fortunate to have American companies that sell American CNC machines and provide the best support systems in the world.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 10-06-2019 at 10:49 AM.

Blog Entries
    I see size as somewhat limiting also. We'll see. This might be scam or already sold (I caught it day after first posted) as the seller has not responded.
    And only left email. We'll see. And listing only showed base machine on table. No accessories other than the alignment plate.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Go to lets talk shopbot and see what is listed in the for sale

I see this is a very old post. Just trying to find out more info on the shop bot. Just don't see very much on you tube. Are they a better machine than the Avid? thanks

have a friend with shop bot desktop , bought it in 2011 runs perfect and good support

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Richeson View Post
    I see this is a very old post. Just trying to find out more info on the shop bot. Just don't see very much on you tube. Are they a better machine than the Avid? thanks
    Dan - there was a recent discussion about Avid vs. Shopbot here.

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....9-Shop-Bot-CNC

In particular, take a look at Gary's comment.

"AVID's linear rails on the gantry axis vs Shopbots gravity based v-roller system should far outweigh any perceived advantage stiffer looking legs might give you."

I don't know anything about Shopbot, but do own several of the Avid machines and am very happy with them.

David