Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CNC router help near Poughkeepsie NY

Blog Entries

CNC router help near Poughkeepsie NY

Is there any one who is close to Poughkeepsie, NY. 12601 who would be willing to help me get started doing router engraving.

2. I am in New Paltz with a 5'x10' ATC machine. Look up Clean Air Woodworks and get in touch so I don't have to post my contact info here. Do you have a CNC machine, or are you looking for someone with a machine? If you have a machine, I would recommend that you just get Vectric Software and watch a few tutorial videos and you will be able to write a program for V-carving in a few hours.

Charles, please clarify if you are looking for services (needs to be in the classifieds) or assistance with shopping for a CNC router. (here)

Jim
    Forum Moderator
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Grauer View Post
    Is there any one who is close to Poughkeepsie, NY. 12601 who would be willing to help me get started doing router engraving.

I’m looking for advice on how to get started. Simple information for someone who has no experience. And guidance on what to buy. Small starter unit but not junk
    Last edited by Charles Grauer; 08-03-2023 at 8:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Grauer View Post
    Charles - what size projects to you plan to engrave? Are you wanting to engrave letters and outlines, or full 3D projects? Do you have experience using Vectric VCarve Pro or Aspire? The more information you provide, the easier it will make it for fellow members to give advise and help.

David

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Joseph Rogers View Post
    I am in New Paltz with a 5'x10' ATC machine. Look up Clean Air Woodworks and get in touch so I don't have to post my contact info here. Do you have a CNC machine, or are you looking for someone with a machine? If you have a machine, I would recommend that you just get Vectric Software and watch a few tutorial videos and you will be able to write a program for V-carving in a few hours.

thanks. For the help.

Blog Entries
    I am interested in doing small size engraving letters and maybe logo type things. Letter’s probably no bigger than 3/4” down to 1/4” or so.
    Mostly on small boxes. 8” x 12”.

And end grain cutting boards, maybe 12” x 15”. I have no experience with any CAD/CAM or carving programs.

Matthew Rogers suggested I look at Vectric and am going to study that, free trial. I think the desktop one fits what I’m thinking about.

no idea about a machine. I want one that isn’t junk but not really pricey also. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Don’t need to me near me in NY.

I would like to have a small desktop type CNC router type.

A 2x4, decent quality desktop CNC router will fit your size requirements just fine. It would be helpful to know your budget because the "decent ones" are not inexpensive and you want a machine that is stiff enough to resist deflection when cutting and one that uses either ball screws or rack and pinion or both, not one of the ones that use belts for movement.
    --

I would suggest you take a look at the Vectric software before proceeding to purchase a table. You need to make sure you are comfortable with the cad/cam software and that you understand how to use it before even considering purchasing a cnc table, unless you plan to enlist others to do the programming for you.

David

Blog Entries
    Thanks. That is helpful not to consider the belt driven nes. I’m not sure where the price Randy’s is. I originally thought around $500.00 but not sure that would get a decent machine, i dough it.

Blog Entries
    David. Thanks, that is good advice and what Matthew Rogers suggested also. Going to look at V Carve desktop. Thanks

Blog Entries
    Jim: thanks. I was think about maybe a 2’ x2’ size. Not sure if that size is available as my shop is pretty full. ‘M afraid I have too many interests for the space I have. Lots to consider I appreciate the advice about avoiding the belt riven ones.

2x2 is only typical of the more, um...well..."toy" machines. My brother made that mistake and never was able to get it actually working and he's actually good with electronics and such things. Examples of some reasonably useable (for light work like engraving) machines would be those from Inventables Pro and Shapeoko Pro. A step above, IMHO, would be a small machine from AVID.
    --

Blog Entries
    I looked at the AVID. But it looked to me like to get. 2’x 2’.requires an up grade kit.

can you explain what you mean by toy machines. I don’t ever see myself being at your level or those on this group. I just want to engrave verses and prayers and logos. I dion’t know if the “toy machines” would be capable of relief carving? Thank for your candid remarks if I just know how to interpret them. Going to spend some time looking at V Carve desktop before I really can decide what to buy. The reason I thought 2 x 2’ was a good size is that is what V Carve desktop is capable of. Thanks

There are two issues with the very small and inexpensive machines...firsty, many of them are structurally loose enough and use movement methods that are less precise. That can affect the quality of the work they produce and that raises your frustration factor big time. There's already a learning curve with the CAD/CAM software. Secondly, many of the low cost machines use control software that's either really old or not very capable. The return or abandonment rate on these machines is pretty stiff and the resale market, unlike the better machines, is much lower. I'm saying this not to paint a picture of doom and gloom, but to try and help you have a GOOD experience in adopting CNC into your woodworking. It's just a tool, but it's the kind of tool that if it throws barriers up that make you sorry you made the investment, it's not a good thing.

While I'm not a "yuge" fan of Shapeoko or Inventables, both companies do seem to have reasonably good support and that's a big part of the battle. Those are just examples.

As to the limit of VCarve Desktop to cutting objects larger than 24" square, if the machine you settle on is a hair bigger, you can always upgrade to VCarve Pro later for only the difference in the current cost of the two versions. It's the same software...so everything you learn will still work.
    --